Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 11:37   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
ICW Newbie sailing from New England

We have a Corbin 39 and are hoping to do our first trip from New England (RI) to Florida this season. We may do some 2-3 day offshore hops but will primarily be exploring the ICW and anchoring most nights. For example, we most likely would do a 2-3 day run from Block Island to Cape May, and elsewhere as mood and weather allow.
Since this is our first trip down the ICW we are interested in some general estimates and comments on the following from those that routinely make this journey.

1) Departure dates, is mid November too late? We are well equipped with a solid fuel Luke stove for heat and our cockpit can be rigged with Clears to provide wind protection on the cockpit. If you have done this trip multiple times what sort of rough schedule do you like to set for departure before things get too uncomfortable.

2) Trip duration. We are in no real hurry but are looking for general estimates for the duration needed to get to south Miami. In reading around, is our rough estimate of 6 weeks reasonable? I would imagine a typical week to be 4-5 days moving out of 7 to allow for weather, fun, etc.

3) Timing to return north. Most conversations I have found focus on the autumn Nor' Easters and not so much on what to plan for in the spring. We are not familiar with the March / April weather on the SE coast of the U.S. Assuming a 6 week run back up the coast with an arrival in RI by early/mid May would yield a departure from Miami in early April. Comments?

Thanks in advance.
Bikewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 04:35   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: ICW Newbie sailing from New England

Most of the cruisers I know leave much earlier and return a bit later, but if you don’t mind the cold, there’s not much chance that freezing weather will be a problem. Enjoy the trip…lots of places to see along the way.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 04:56   #3

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I have done this trip several times.

Note that this is not an offshore passage that requires "the end of the hurricane season", in reality its a jog down the coast with marinas, wifi and information, so I would suggest that the earlier you leave the better.. after all, the weather does not get warmer or more stable by waiting...

Many insurances from the NE covering FL will have an exclusion both by latitude and time, for example, i cannot be South of Morehead City NC before Nov 1.. so check your insurance..

For journey time, Anything more than 3wks is simple enjoyment time... I typically look at around 5wks... slightly less if the weather is colder and slightly more if the weather is warm.

I leave in early October, hop from Montauk direct to Norfolk and waste a very pleasant month in NC before proceeding south.

a return trip leaving end Apr is fine.. the return trip is easy, supported very much by SW winds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewfish View Post
We have a Corbin 39 and are hoping to do our first trip from New England (RI) to Florida this season. We may do some 2-3 day offshore hops but will primarily be exploring the ICW and anchoring most nights. For example, we most likely would do a 2-3 day run from Block Island to Cape May, and elsewhere as mood and weather allow.
Since this is our first trip down the ICW we are interested in some general estimates and comments on the following from those that routinely make this journey.

1) Departure dates, is mid November too late? We are well equipped with a solid fuel Luke stove for heat and our cockpit can be rigged with Clears to provide wind protection on the cockpit. If you have done this trip multiple times what sort of rough schedule do you like to set for departure before things get too uncomfortable.

2) Trip duration. We are in no real hurry but are looking for general estimates for the duration needed to get to south Miami. In reading around, is our rough estimate of 6 weeks reasonable? I would imagine a typical week to be 4-5 days moving out of 7 to allow for weather, fun, etc.

3) Timing to return north. Most conversations I have found focus on the autumn Nor' Easters and not so much on what to plan for in the spring. We are not familiar with the March / April weather on the SE coast of the U.S. Assuming a 6 week run back up the coast with an arrival in RI by early/mid May would yield a departure from Miami in early April. Comments?

Thanks in advance.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:16   #4

Boat: Corbin 39

Thanks for the responses. We are not totally adverse to cooler temps in the fall as we are very used to living in New England and know the weather pretty well. It's good to hear a confirmation of a six week budget to reach Miami at a leisurely pace.

Thanks.

S/V Cormorant
Bikewfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, icw, new england, sail, sailing