Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 10:34   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Buccaneer Brait vs. Yale and New England Brait

Folks,

Defender is selling 8 brait by Buccaneer for significantly less than either Yale or New England. I'm considering buying new 8-brait to replace my 3 strand nylon for my dock lines to improve storability.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality differences between these manufactures and Buccaneer? What about its suitability as a dock line?

Thanks,

z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Buccaneer Brait vs. Yale and New England Brait

We have been using Buccaneer for years and find it exactly the same as Yale. I think the NE one is 12-strand, so is a bit different. In fact, our bridle currently consists of one leg Buccaneer and one leg Yale. There is no qualitative or quantitative difference that I can detect between the two.

The Yale is softer to splice. Whether that is good or not is up to how you like it. I don't like splicing really soft stuff because it unravels and "mushes" out during the splicing.

As for suitability, be aware that these lines are very easily snagged and catch splinters of wood, etc. A double braid line is better in this way and stores easier than 3-strand, but not as well as 8-strand.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 14:33   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
As for suitability, be aware that these lines are very easily snagged and catch splinters of wood, etc. A double braid line is better in. this way and stores easier than 3-strand, but not as well as 8-strand.
My experience exactly! I've kinda given up on brait type lines for that reason. Unfortunately, nylon double braid is difficult to find in Australia, so for the most part I've reverted to three strand for dock lines (an application where snagging and chafe are problems). Still use brait for long shore lines, etc, where its "storeability" is great.

Jim
Old 02-07-2015, 14:49   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Often, nylon is overrated for dock lines. The only reason people use it is because they think the stretch is important for shock absorption. Almost every time we have been on docks (not often), the tie up is such that few of the lines are longer than 3-4', and even the spring lines are within 10' long. Stretch plays no practical roll in those lengths, so we repurpose old running rigging for dock lines. These snag even less than nylon double braid because the cover seems to be a tighter weave.

Of course, if one docks so that the lines are much longer, they may benefit more from stretch.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:46   #5

I'm with Mark on this one! An old spinnaker halyard makes two excellent spring lines.

So instead of buying line specifically for use as spring lines when you need new ones, you buy a new spinnaker halyard and re-purpose the old one, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

TrentePied
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 18:03   #6

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We have megabraid fore and aft, and double-braid for our springs, center, fore and aft.

Those we have the rubber snubbers in, and they get a workout, as we put them on tight; if they were straight line, there'd be a lot of jerking.

Of course, this presumes floating dock; a fixed dock gets a bit different treatment, and might involve springs on both sides...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 14:20   #7

Boat: Catana 471

A little late to this discussion, but I agree with a couple of the earlier comments, and would definitely not choose the 8-plait for dock lines. It just wants to grab/snag on just about everything... even the concrete pontoon.

On the other hand, we have used the Buccaneer plait to extend a chain anchor rode on two boats, and it is excellent for that application. Much, much easier to flake (or just dump) 150ft of it into the anchor locker than would be the case with 3-strand.

Double-braid or 3-strand are both much better for dock lines. Like the idea of using a retired halyard too... have to give that a try next time.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
England, new england