Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00   #1

Wintering in Spain or Portugal. Recommendations please.

Hi,
I am looking for a good marina to stay on board my yacht this winter. I am looking at Spain or Portugal but if there is a good marina elsewhere in the Western Med I would be happy for recommendations.

We spent last winter in Marina di Ragusa in Sicily which was great, they had a really active live aboard community so looking for something similar to that but in a different area.

We have a 9 year old son so any marina with other kids in would be brilliant but appreciate there are not a lot of kids living on boats in the med.

We are also looking for a good boat yard to take the boat out of the water, where we can work on her ourselves. We need a cost effective one that is close to good marine supplies and local engineers.

The marina and boat yard do not have to be at the same place, although if they were that would be a bonus.

thanks
Anna
spanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Wintering in Spain or Portugal. Recommendations please.

cartegena yacht port marina.
cartagena spain.
cheap flights from murcia.
great winter rates,nice town,boatyard.

speak to nigel snow for latest info 0034 659 323 243
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29   #3

Thanks for that recommendation, I love the city of Cartagena so that one could be quite high on my list. Do you know if there are many people planning on staying there this winter?

My understand though was you could not work on your own boat here though?
spanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanna View Post
Thanks for that recommendation, I love the city of Cartagena so that one could be quite high on my list. Do you know if there are many people planning on staying there this winter?

My understand though was you could not work on your own boat here though?
i was there last week,and there were quite a few international boats there atm,and more arriving,but it is best to give nigel a call about boatyards,as if they can't let you do your own work there,then there are plenty that will in mar menor,a few miles away.
tell him alex bond sent the reccomendation,nigel is a yachty himself so will get you sorted one way or another!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:29   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I agree, cartegena would be a great choice. Usually a decent winter live aboard community over winter from what I hear and the weather is nicer than most of the surrounding areas plus it's a real Spanish town, not a tourist trap that closes down in winter. Prices are good but I'm not sure about doing your own work. I'd stay there and haul out somewhere else early next season if it's just an anti foul and some quick jobs you need to take care of...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wintering in Spain or Portugal. Recommendations please.

Used to be Almerimar was the cheapest in the Med and most user friendly.. however tho' it continues to be the cheapest.. with an airport just 30mins away they have joined the no working/live aboard while on the hard to bring in more revenue since the crisis.. can't blame em really.. the economy is a mess and they need all they can get.
On the plus side.. there's plenty of nice reasonably priced apartments to let short term.. and if your a 'Golfie' you've got it made.. and you can swim and sunbathe at the beach every afternoon when its to warm to work..
Suggest you drop them an e-mail and find out what the can and cannot be done's are..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:11   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

A couple of people we know spent winters in Benalmadena. They spoke in good terms about the number of other cruisers there and the amount of social stuff. Possibly worth a look, if you are sailing by the place.

You can spend a winter in Sevilla too. There is a marina right in town. It will be a cold winter then though.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 16:23   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Lagos has an active liveaboard community and an excellent boatyard.
http://liveinfo.lagosnavigators.net/httpdocs/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 17:51   #9
cruiser

I worked on my own deck for two weeks last summer in Yacht Port Cartegena. Wifi signal was good and reasonable, very friendly staff and new shower and restroom facilities this summer. Great security and only 1/2 mile from the old town center. Bring a bicycle and the industrial area with the larger box stores is within reach at maybe five miles. Mercadona is two miles away from yacht port along the old town center bike trail at the far end of Old town. You can still get a large piece of pizza and a large beer for two euros in the old town.

You can haul out in Garrucha, 40 miles away where You can do most work yourself in an excellent new yard. Contact me pm if you need references for help there. A Mercadona and China store 200 meters from the boatyard.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:43   #10

Hello! I am spanish and for me the best marina and i think it is very similar than ragusa is torreviaja (Alicante) there are two marinas there and the best is marina salinas .... It is cheap and very modern ... The weather is definitvely the best .... We have a cata lagoon 420 last winter we were there and this year we will leave the boat in
Malta in kalkara marina

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-09-2014, 08:09   #11

I know friends of mine are going to winter in Cartagena with a 7 year old son this winter - and endorse all the good things said about the place...
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 07:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just an update for those thinking of wintering in Cartagena here is a link to my friend john snow in Cartagena,if you need any advice,repairs he is more than happy to help,great guy and a yachty himself.

Welcome to "one stop yacht care" Based, Cartagena, Spain.(+34)659 3232 43 - Home Page
Old 25-09-2014, 07:11   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wintering in Spain or Portugal. Recommendations please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanna View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a good marina to stay on board my yacht this winter. I am looking at Spain or Portugal

We are also looking for a good boat yard to take the boat out of the water, where we can work on her ourselves. We need a cost effective one that is close to good marine supplies and local engineers.

The marina and boat yard do not have to be at the same place, although if they were that would be a bonus.

thanks
Anna
Lagos is a nice place but personally I prefer Portimao.. nice marina, nice staff, all English and most EU speakers..
Nice big B/yard across the river with Mech/Sail/Chandlery etc services just outside the yard.. more suppliers in Portimao.
A quick dinghy ride takes you to the beaches or Ferragudo.. or across to Portimao.. and you don't have to prat about with a bridge if you fancy a sail..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 17:53   #14

Boat: Rhodes R27 40'

We can recommend Denia. There are a few marinas depending on your size and the Club Nautico has a lift and dry marina although I dont think you can stay on board. All the marinas are in the town so a short walk to all amenities and the ferrys to the Baleric Islands. Lots of mechanics and chandlerys who can order anything and masses of apartments for rent. Connections to Alicante via the light rail, if you can get to Gandia there is a train to Valencia for 5 Euro return and lots of flights from VLC or the fast trains to the rest of the country. You might want to go further south but we get the same weather as pretty much the rest of the coast south. Good luck!
Old 30-09-2014, 09:45   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lagos is a nice place but personally I prefer Portimao.. nice marina, nice staff, all English and most EU speakers..
Nice big B/yard across the river with Mech/Sail/Chandlery etc services just outside the yard.. more suppliers in Portimao.
A quick dinghy ride takes you to the beaches or Ferragudo.. or across to Portimao.. and you don't have to prat about with a bridge if you fancy a sail..

Yeah but portimao has become a desolate town compared to some years ago.

Dave

Tags
lease, men, Portugal, Spain