Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 05:56   #16

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: Texas Coast to Cuba to Rio Dulce

My Goodness, that is uphill all the way, it WILL be unpleasant and choppy if not rough.
San Antonio is open to the weather, from what I gather is just a Jetty (take a close look with Google Earth) the only shelter is away in the mangroves, coming (presumably) around the point to Juventud could also be challenging but it is gorgeous in the bay. especially if you like sailing in 12 feet azure water with a white bottom. But, you MUST clear into Cuba at one of the few official ports. From Cuba to Mexico can be nasty and will be slow against the currents AND waves. Close to Mexico you have to watch out for the cruise ships who are doing donuts off the coast waiting to dock at their next shopping centre.
I loved the Rio Dulce, wet as it is, watch the bar at the entrance.
For my money you would be better sailing clockwise, take a little longer, hit the San Blas and Panama (take the crewing thru the Canal experience... a lifetime thrill).
But, if you don't go that way, don't rush, wait for weather windows and have fun.

Bill

I'm looking at sailing out of Galveston in May, possibly making a stop in Cuba, then heading to Rio Dulce. Anyone have experience crossing the Gulf Stream between Cuba and Mexico? The pilot charts show a 2 knot current. I'm thinking of heading straight to Cuba and checking in at Marina Cabo San Antonio then hugging the coastline around and exploring Pinar del Río for a few days. From there a straight shot to Rio Dulce should be a nice sail. This is my first long trip. Anything I should be weary of? Preparations for sailing into Cuba?[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, texas