Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:34   #16

Boat: 2002 Gemini 105MC sailing catamaran, Watts Up
Have to put in my two cents about marinas in the Keys. There are cheap ones but don't expect much in the way of services. We are staying at Pirate Hat in Key Largo, $10 per foot per month, very well sheltered, concrete docks and good security. Watch out for Manatee Bay Marina, very unpleasant owner with dogs that bite you if you walk in the office.
bcaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 07:46   #17

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Just an update. The management at Marina Del Sol finally recanted this weekend and offered $214 a month for a new lease. Still more than I want to pay, but as the boat still isn't running, and I'm out of town again next week, I decided to stay another year at that rate.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 21:10   #18

I've been at Legend Point since July last year.
So far I've no complaints about the management or the cooperation I've receved.
However, the washing machines have been out of order for some time.
Likewise, we had a couple of months when the security gate wasn't working.
Frankly, from what I've seen, I think Legend Point is pretty good value now.
I'm certainly pleased with my berth's location and the friendly people I've met.
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 22:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
One thing to really consider is hurricane protection, I pay more at waterford but I save a lot in insurance and I have peace of mind that my OG has the best odds to survive a direct hit.
Erika
Erika - I thought that So. Shore Harbor came though Ike in good shape, too. But I wasn't down soon after to really see what was what. Is it the case that Waterford was better off? I had not realized that insurance companies ranked specific marinas these days, and adjusted rates accordingly.

thanks,
Jim
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 16:53   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Jim, sorry didn't mean to give the impression that I pay less in insurance, what I was trying to say is that it is much cheaper in the long run to have an intact boat after a hurricane then it is to try to collect from the insurance company and rebuild/rebuy.
Papajohn, glad to hear good things coming out of LP. I lived there before the big management upheaval (15 years ago), it was quiet and mngmt left you alone, but at the same time looked out for you. That is what I am experiencing at Waterford, they are very accomodating but they also leave me alone.
Erika
Old 14-04-2010, 06:32   #21

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
I'm VERY happy at Seabrook Marina. Good folks, generally clean facilities, and I'm a liveaboard. They have patrolled night security and its pretty quiet. Lot of serious boaters and good families around here. Prices are on par with Kemah Boardwalk and other well made local places, and at least on the dock (A) that I am on, no boats were lost in Ike either.
svaletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 10:40   #22

Boat: Egg harbor 33 named Willow Star
Not to thread jack or anything but this seemed like a good place to ask this....

Currently living in Florida in Pensacola, we only pay $9 a foot , but there are fee's on top of that, $120 liveaboard fee and $80 set electric charge...all together we pay $448 ,for a 33 foot boat, a month and this is the cheapest slip we could find.

We are considering moving to Texas ,but one question.... How are the beaches there?
I know they aren't as pretty as the emerald coast here, but are they swimmable? Can you swim in the water without getting sick , or smelly?
One thing that attracts me to Texas is not only the more afordable slip rent but that you can take your dog to the beach.... No dogs on Florida beaches... so if we want to go to the beach we have to take our dog to the dog sitter.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 10:57   #23

Boat: Ericson Independance 31, Paragrene
clear lake marina

You may want to look at Bal Harbor off NASA Rd 1 behind the Hilton. I've been there for 3 years. Small marina but very nice and CHEAP. For my 33 Independance we pay $140 a month and it includes ele. and water. Not floating docks but you live with it and when a hard northern comes through it can be a bit shallow but I draft 5' and pretty much come a go when I want it's only a consern durnning the winter. It's only currently about 1/3 full so you can pick your own slip. The only issue I have is I'm pretty much the only person that stays down on the boat on weekends. It'd be nice to have some other people there to talk with.
lane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 11:35   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Clear lake is great but there are no beaches.

I am in Clear Lake. I pay an average of 500 a month for a 40ft slip at Waterford. This includes a liveaboard fee (80 I think) and electricity (metered at 13 cents I think). I think my marina is one of the most expensive in the area so you could do better in price.

The only decent beaches are south from Port Aransas on to Corpus Christi. Corpus has some good beaches and lots of wind. But you are correct, the beaches are not up to Florida standards. Plus because of the shape of the coast and prevailing south easterly winds we are almost always on a lee shore.

The up side is there is fewer regulations, you can camp, walk your dog, even drive your car right up to the water, though some beaches only allow off road vehicles due to cars getting stuck (and the dunes are off limits)

Texas doesn't have the prettiest beaches but it does have the nicest people you will ever meet.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 18-04-2010, 12:01   #25

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
Not to thread jack or anything but this seemed like a good place to ask this....

Currently living in Florida in Pensacola, we only pay $9 a foot , but there are fee's on top of that, $120 liveaboard fee and $80 set electric charge...all together we pay $448 ,for a 33 foot boat, a month and this is the cheapest slip we could find.

We are considering moving to Texas ,but one question.... How are the beaches there?
I know they aren't as pretty as the emerald coast here, but are they swimmable? Can you swim in the water without getting sick , or smelly?
One thing that attracts me to Texas is not only the more afordable slip rent but that you can take your dog to the beach.... No dogs on Florida beaches... so if we want to go to the beach we have to take our dog to the dog sitter.
To some degree, it depends on where you are on the beach in Texas. The Corpus Christi area is a bit nicer than the Galvaston area. No beach in Texas is really as nice as the beachs in Flordia, BUT there much less controled.

You can swim, and not be sick. My wife and I do it all the time, as do many many other beach goers. You'll probably want a shower shortly after swiming however. I always feel "sticky" after taking a swim. I still felt "sticky" when I was in Flordia, but not as bad. A shower takes care of that pretty easy. I would guess that would be pretty easy to take care of if you've got a boat with in walking distance of the beach.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 15:01   #26

I grew up swimming the beaches of Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston, and further down to Freeport and Surfside. I admit to having 4 surfboards at the ready still, and was in the water at Surfside having a blast the day Katrina over ran the levees in New Orleans. So, (other than my third arm and 14 fingers), I represent many decades of safe swimming, surf fishing, crabbing, and sailing beach catamarans along upper Texas beaches.

I usually carry several gallons of water just to pour over my body after getting out, as I find it refreshing. I add ice to that water for most of the summer here. Maybe something like that would reduce the stickiness factor for those who notice it. I guess I know about feeling sticky, but just am able to ignore it. In our heat and humidity, I feel a bit sticky just getting out of the shower in my fully air conditioned home!

O Girl is certainly correct to say the beach water gets much prettier down near Pt. A, and going to the beaches there is a real treat compared to those of the upper coast. People that think of tropical beaches and Florida when they think of going to the beach, will not find the Texas beaches nearly so attractive. That darn Mississippi River just dumps way to much sand and silt into the gulf to attain clear water at the beach line along up here.

BTW, I cannot think of any spot along the Gulf Coast where you would keep a boat within walking distance of the beach. And as O Girl also indicated, Clear Lake is where the vast majority of marinas are concentrated, and that's about 25 miles from the coast.

As at least a 3rd generation native of the state I sure do 'ppreciate the comment about friendly folks here. Thankya Ma'm!

Jim
~
Old 18-04-2010, 19:33   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
We kept our 36' catamaran at Island Moorings for a couple of months last summer in Port Aransas. We lived aboard and I believe it ran us about $275 a month. It was also a short walk across the street to the beach. Nice place I would highly recommend.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:10   #28

Well, SMJ, I hadn't thought of Island Moorings, but I guess you're sure right, as it would only be a half mile or so the the beach front from there. That might be the ticket for babykinz, who by their own admission side-tracked this thread, and wasn't specific about which part of the TX coast they were considering. The opening question was about marina's in the Clear Lake area, and Pt. A doesn't qualify. It is a great part of the Texas coast, however - maybe the best.
Old 19-04-2010, 14:50   #29

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
While not particularly pretty, the Galveston beaches are very swimmable. However, they stay shallow quite a ways out, so I don't know if you can really cruise up and swim.

I wouldn't recommend swimming anywhere in Clear Lake -- except the pools in the marinas.

Of course, there is always one big story about flesh-eating bacteria that hits the news each year. Like everything in the news, I take it with a grain of salt. If you Google "flesh eating bacteria Texas," I'm sure you'll find one.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 18:14   #30

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Best Marina in the Clear Lake Area ?

Thread Bump...
I am looking at boats in the 45' range and trying to figure out slips in the Clear Lake area. Will not need liveaboard, at least not yet. I live in Austin and will hope to get out to the boat 1-2 times a month. Considerations... hurricane protection, depth, security, & cost in that order.

Thoughts?

Tags
clear lake, marinas, reviews, texas