Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20   #1

Antique bilge pump

With nothing better to do than try to find old hand powered bilge pumps I found this one on ebay;

Have any of you ever seen a pump like this one? It looks like it would really move a lot of water and is very rugged.

Here's the link for more pictures- Antique- C. Perkes - Manual Bilge Pump Brass/Bronze body | eBay
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Antique bilge pump

Almost looks like a sink pump, and it will move very little water actually.
I believe it is a "lift" pump in that it lifts the amount of water that will fit inside the tube for each stroke, so maybe a cupful if its the size I think it is?

Could be a pretty ornament polished up though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32   #3

Everything gets turned into a lamp. That sure would make a nice conversation piece.

Wouldn't move much water? Guess you're right. Looks like a flapper valve near the bottom of it.

Sure does look nice.
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:37   #4

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

While not antique, my boat supplies include this Thirsty Mate hand pump. It moves lots of water.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:30   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
With nothing better to do than try to find old hand powered bilge pumps I found this one on ebay;

Have any of you ever seen a pump like this one? It looks like it would really move a lot of water and is very rugged.

Here's the link for more pictures- Antique- C. Perkes - Manual Bilge Pump Brass/Bronze body | eBay
Seen one, heck I use one as my secondary bilge pump. OK, not exactly the same but of the same vintage and similar construction. Cylinder is about 2" in diameter and a little under 2' long. It works like a champ and easy to maintain. I'm guessing it is 60+ years old and I can't foresee my other modern manual pump (Whale Gusher Titan) lasting as long.

Both move about the same volume of water but of course one is moving a lever to and fro while the other is moving a piston vertically up and down. I'm never sure which pumping motion is better but so far have never needed to do either in real anger .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump