Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 13:29   #1

Bilge pump float switch in hard to reach place

We just got to our boat that we bought two months ago to find the bilge full. Aside from where the water came from, I found the issue to be the float switch (of course!). It has a diaphragm pump that has a line going down into the deep bilge under the engine maybe 2 feet under the bilge. The switch actually works, it's a sealed type where the entire switch floats and there is a contact inside that closes when it's nearly upside down.

The switch is zip tied to the pipe that runs into the bilge, I think the switch might have gotten stuck against the side of the bilge as the water rose.

I speculate the previous owner went with this setup because there isn't a good way to mount a more conventional switch way down there, it's inaccessible. I don't feel confident with it though, are there any better options?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:40   #2

Re: Bilge pump float switch in hard to reach place

I figured out its a sump pump float switch. It seems reliable if it had enough room to float, the bilge is only about 8 inches wide and it just got hung up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474922348133.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	131819  
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 13:41   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I can't see that working in your situation. A new switch would be recommended.... something like the ultra switch would work well.

Matt
Old 26-09-2016, 14:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Most bilge pumps are centrifugal, not diaphragm. I've got a hate-hate relationship with separate float switches, particularly Rule switches, because they forever seem to get caught up on everything from wiring to junk in the bilge. My recommendation is an integrated pump/switch, because then the switch is inside the strainer cage under the pump, and is indexed on the depth of the bilge water at the pump. Centrifugal pumps don't burn out when they run dry, and don't use much energy when they run. About their only disadvantage is their low pressure; you need to be careful with the height and diameter of the discharge.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:14   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got a similar problem to yours. Same type of bilge depth, same diaphragm bilge pump.

What has worked very well for us is a rule switch mounted on a piece of aluminium flat bar with a 90 deg bend at the bottom. I've got this bolted to the engine stringer. Also adding a drip less packing and keeping the bilge dry has done wonders for the lifespan of the rule switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I can't see that working in your situation. A new switch would be recommended.... something like the ultra switch would work well.

Matt
I highly recommend the Ultra Switch. It's inside a vented plexiglass tube so keeps debris away from the float. All parts are sealed.

I did an installation similar to sailmonkey but I think a little simpler. I used a piece of SS flat bar and tie wrapped the Ultra to the bar, no need for an L bend or anything just a straight bar, and lowered it down into my almost inaccessible bilge sump.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 16:50   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

You can use any hale effect switch. Google for Johnson ones. Etc.

They are sealed and have no moving parts. They actuate when water covers them.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:17   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You can use any hale effect switch. Google for Johnson ones. Etc.

They are sealed and have no moving parts. They actuate when water covers them.

b.
Also consider Water Witch electronic switches. They have a delayed off feature that can help prevent cycling the pump.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:30   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I figured out its a sump pump float switch. It seems reliable if it had enough room to float, the bilge is only about 8 inches wide and it just got hung up.
Yeah, get rid of that!

Bilge pumps like to live in the most inaccessible places. I usually solve this problem by mounting the pump and switch on a long, narrow piece of something that can survive being in bilge water, poke it down into position, and fasten the end that I can reach.

With a one-piece pump and switch, you can also use the hose itself as the "poker", if you use a clear plastic hose that's stiff enough. I haven't tried it, but you could probably use a length of PVC pipe, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 08:13   #10

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Tape a Water Witch do a stick and place it in the bilge. Mine has worked since 1982.
http://www.defender.com/pdf/500660_WaterWitch.pdf
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 08:35   #11

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I highly recommend the Ultra Switch. It's inside a vented plexiglass tube so keeps debris away from the float. All parts are sealed.
+1. Get one of these. They're expensive, but if you buy anything else, you'll be replacing it again in a couple of years (after having another full bilge incident). HopCar, one of the forum sponsors, carries them here.

Re the electronic field effect switches.. these are great, until they quit, just like every other type. Before I knew better, I installed three of these. Two of them failed in in less than two years (third got sold with the previous boat, but I assume has died as well). You'll hear mixed reviews on the Water Witch switches, Johnson field-effect switches etc. With all of them, you'll find some glowing reports, along with a significant subset of users have had a bad experience.

That's true for just about every switch type except the USS Ultra Pumpswitches. Other than price, nobody ever complains about them... they just work. I have two now, and won't put in anything else if I can help it.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 12:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Ditto what JEschman said. Available online and most better marine stores. Also Lovett pumps (screened float) last a long time but are expensive, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yeah, get rid of that!

Bilge pumps like to live in the most inaccessible places. I usually solve this problem by mounting the pump and switch on a long, narrow piece of something that can survive being in bilge water, poke it down into position, and fasten the end that I can reach.

With a one-piece pump and switch, you can also use the hose itself as the "poker", if you use a clear plastic hose that's stiff enough. I haven't tried it, but you could probably use a length of PVC pipe, too.
Capt Tom, you have it. That is the way to do it. On a stick and down in an area where you have access and that you do not need special tolls to check it quickly. That is the way I am setup and this works very well. You have to do things to make it easy to check especially something so vulnerable and fragile.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:08   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I always wondered if you could use a system similar to the hart tank tender as a bilge switch. Basically, you put a small diameter tube into the bilge and then use a small air pump to periodically/automatically pump air into the tube. If, like the tank tender, the indicator reads a residual air pressure above a certain level the pump is activated. No need to put any electronics into the bilge and no need to worry about the tube getting stopped up.

In fact, you could have several tubes spread around the bilge and the system would use the highest reading.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:18   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I always wondered if you could use a system similar to the hart tank tender as a bilge switch. Basically, you put a small diameter tube into the bilge and then use a small air pump to periodically/automatically pump air into the tube. If, like the tank tender, the indicator reads a residual air pressure above a certain level the pump is activated. No need to put any electronics into the bilge and no need to worry about the tube getting stopped up.

In fact, you could have several tubes spread around the bilge and the system would use the highest reading.

Well, you mean like this?

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/mari...air-switch.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, loa