Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 10:37   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
pirate EXTREME WATERSPORTS FANS!!!!!

OK EXTREME WATERSPORTS FANS!!!!!!!!! mandatory gratis event !!!!!
in the bahamas in not much more time will be the world championship extreme anchoring challenge.
there is no entry fee
there is no application
entry is mandatory for those remaining in bahamas at this time.
seems some guy named matthew wants to test your skillzzzz,and has worked his way up to category of major cane. wow. this is gonna be interesting. i hope you all had time for proper preparation for this intensity of play. there is still a little time for the remainder of your prep. oh donot turn your back on him as he knows how to rapidly intensify....
i do hope you all are safe and tucked in well.this is gonnabe a bit busy. you neeed rest and a good meal before this marathon. batten down interior as well as exterior of boat. there is a HUGE difference between cat 3 and cat 5, which will feel like cat 7, i sware.

oh yeah--add the whiny floridians and the east coast stoics to this event as well....is a monster.... some of the bahama boats may be found on the east coast entry list, as stuff happens.....

PARTICIPANTS PLEASE CHECK IN POST EVENT, thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 16:28   #2

Re: EXTREME WATERSPORTS FANS!!!!!

south carolina for a cat 3 .. ok. busy.
Old 01-10-2016, 17:22   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Experiencing 90 kts at the masthead is an experience I'll probably carry to my grave; it made a BIG impression.

I recently wrote something about this for another hurricane thread, but for those of you who are preparing, but inexperienced, err on the side of caution. Reducing your windage is paramount. Wind force increases geometrically. Every piece of canvas you remove and stow below will help your boat survive.

So, Remove all headsails, and stow. the largest ones first and farthest deep in the boat. Leave somewhere for you to sit down or lie down if you're going to stay with the boat, but really pack densely. Everything outside that can, must come inside. Use lines to secure the foils against flailing around. Remove the mainsail if possible. If not, lead the lazy jacks forward, and wrap the sail on the boom with jib sheets or other line. The expected wind strength makes the wind like it has claws, and any fabric it can get loose, it will shred. Remove all weather cloths, Life slings, MOB pole can be lashed on side deck on the expected leeward side. Jerry jugs below.

If you're in a marina, double up on your fenders and dock lines. Basically, you should be okay with 5 large fenders per side, but two won't do, they'll start popping with side loads from about 40 kn. on. You'll need to prepare to protect both sides of your boat, for both wind directions.

You will want chafe gear that will allow the heat of the stretching nylon to dissipate.

It is hard to imagine the strength of the wind, but use your imagination to magnify it.

If you have to go outside at 90 kn., and if it is pouring rain, some people have used their dive mask and snorkel, to protect your eyes and still breathe.

Remember, anything that is not secured is a potential bomb when it strikes you or your boat.

Dinghy, lashed very securely upside down on deck, if it cannot go below.

Good luck, all of you, preparation helps, but luck is also a good deal. And when it's over, try and help someone less fortunate, or, while it's going on, like s/v Shameless did in Mexico a few weeks ago. Your spare fenders, if any, can help someone else, also old tires make dirty, but effective fenders.

Ann
Old 02-10-2016, 18:11   #4

Ann,

Thanks for sharing your experience. You mentioned securing head foils to keep them from oscillating around by using lines to tie them. Can you breakdown how you guys have done this? I have a boat in a decent (nothing is perfect) hurricane hole in the Abacos where I have striped EVERYTHING and stowed it below. The head foil issue has been nagging me in my mind for the past two days. I prepared the boat almost two months ago to go stateside and left her on a very secure mooring with a great local whom, in my opinion, knows what he is doing.

Thanks!
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 19:24   #5

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Whiny Floridians???? We are accustomed to hurricanes Zee. Thanks anway.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:41   #6

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a head foil?
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 13:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a head foil?

The foil that your Jib or Genoa is attached to.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 21:05   #8

I forgot to mention above, do check to see that your cockpit drains are not plugged by leaves or dirt or some such. The rain comes down faster than it can get away. That's what zee was getting at when she said she only 1/4 filled her dinghy, and the cyclone did the rest!

Ann
Old 06-10-2016, 10:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have started a thread about Hurricane Preparation Videos that contains links to a Youtube video playlist with 40 videos related to preparing for a hurricane or tropical storm and what conditions may be expected.

Of particular note is a video which gives a very good demonstration of tying up to mangroves.

Here is a link to that thread which contains a few comments and suggested videos I found particularly instructive on the issue of preparation:

Hurricane & Tropical Storm Preparation Videos Tips - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 19:06   #10

ok you exteme watersports folks-- as his bludi storm is preparing to again slam bahamas and florida as it circles around, lets see if steady hand make sit thru second time around....
as for the extreme anchor out challenge--how is everyone doing???

please check in so we know you are still in the challenge...
be well and strong and be ready fro the second pass..h ah ah ah aha ha h a
this bastid has a sense of humor and plays practical jokes.
Old 06-10-2016, 20:05   #11

Seem likely to you that Matthew will suck Nicole into itself?

Ann
Old 06-10-2016, 21:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Seem likely to you that Matthew will suck Nicole into itself?

Ann
it was looking as if a marriage at sea was mebbe an option, but she seems to have become disenchanted with him, altho' i would not rule it out. this is a very weird system and each has unreliability going in its own favor. i vote for wedding in atlantic and honeymoon in cancun. by that time this new development in south caribbean should prove to be an interesting addition to the mix. there have been few if any words mentioned on any of this, but some models kind of show the potential is not impossible.-- folks seem to be ignoring nicole as matthew grows and develops.
nicole does seem to be fairly close and htey have shared intake and exhaust feeders, so why not a marriage and honeymoons in cancun.. sounds good to me. besides she in the way of his travel plans.

oh dear someone didnt like my jest on floridians... but they are whiny about canes..ha h aha and not so experienced in 'em as should be, as many times entire seasons go by without them receiving the pleasure of one. but the songs sung at the mere threat of one coming.. whoooyaah.
when was last cat 5 hit on fla?? i donot remember one, and i am old.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:16   #13

Fwiw, here in Oz, we often see compound lows, but in higher latitudes. Generally the cyclones have the atmosphere to themselves. But they do sometimes loop back on their tracks, one with a "J' name crossed far north Queensland twice. Naughty boy, Jared, perhaps, or Justin? Too many named storms, too little time.

Good thoughts for the guys in FL, and for the hurricane relief in ALL the areas.

Ann
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51   #14

so nhc sees the return to fla as a td.. let us hope. that reflects a broken engagement, seems to me.....

Tags
water, ports