Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 05:04   #1

Cartagena to Panama/French Polynesia/Hawaii

Looking for crew to Panama from Cartagena, Colombia. Afterwards, I will be taking a break in the Costa Rican/Nicaraguan coast to surf before heading to the South Pacific visiting the more remote spots outside of the standard “milk run” route. I tend to enjoy cruising destinations where there is no airport, has infrequent supply ship visits and has less than five visiting yachts per season. The Marquesas are beautiful but with several hundred boats crowding the anchorages in March-May, I prefer doing the southern route initially. Desired destinations include the Easter Island/Australs/Gambier back up towards the Marquesas later in the season and on to Hawaii. Share expenses, alcohol free environment, minimalist approach (little engine use, anchor out whenever possible, live at local standard of living). Fluent or at least learning Spanish is a big plus as I would appreciate a study partner. Skipper has over 70,000 miles experience which includes a single handed circumnavigation (below Africa, Panama Canal) Boat specs, my sailing resume and past voyages can all be seen at sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com. If interested, you are welcome to couchsurf and check things out. My profile is under "Jonas Collins"
Old 25-05-2016, 06:01   #2

Re: Cartagena to Panama/French Polynesia/Hawaii

Are you looking for someone with experience or no need? My experience is only with Hobie Cat.

I was born in Brasil, Rio, educated in US, now living in Osaka, Japan. I worked, in the US as carpentry (building house, frame, electrical, plumbing, paint, etc), car mechanic, Network Engineer, then went to Italy for culinary school and worked as Pizzaiolo, Naple, after in Japan, worked as Chef for Italian restaurant.

Love stay closer to the sea. I played, water polo, for many years in Rio, 14 years. I love body surf, last time was in Mentawai. Actually, i was the only one, among 11 Australian on the boat, that not got cut, everyone got big cuts. Dummies!!!! Mates?!
kkkkk.
I drink beer sometimes, no smoke, good swimmer, license to dive.

By the way, what do you think will be the daily cost?

My email is tmhavana@gmail.com

Thank you very much
Old 26-05-2016, 06:59   #3

Costs depend on where the boat is located as well as your comfort standards. I tend to lean towards a more local/islander/minimalist standard. Clearance fees can be an issue in some places. I also consider satellite minutes a shared cost because the phone is used primarily for GRIBS. Best bet is to just drop by for a chat. I prefer people already by the boat to avoid a sense of obligation towards people incurring an expense just to fly out.
Old 06-06-2016, 13:55   #4

Still in Cartagena. PM me for my local cell number.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:43   #5

I have the time for the next couple of months. is the position still open?
I can be reached at 805-674-1830
Old 20-06-2016, 15:37   #6

Where are you currently located?
Old 21-06-2016, 22:56   #7

Hi Jonas,

Had a glimpse of your profile on your blog and am keen to know of your sailing itinerary after Cartagena to Panama. Though I'm from Singapore I travel to LA once a year and this Aug-Oct I will be there. If our schedule permitting I would like to crew with you and learn what ever I can from your experience sailing solo circumnavigation. I'm also dreaming of doing one. I am semi-retired 61 year old with very little sailing experience but willing to learn. So if you are still looking for crews anytime later, let me know.

PM me if you wish.

Philip
Old 22-06-2016, 15:31   #8

I am looking to crew this Fall for approximately 3-4 weeks. I have an airline credit that must be purchased by July 10th. I would love to find a position sailing. I have been sailing for 20+ years. I am trying to gain more knowledge and miles. I love to travel, experience new cultures and also enjoy a quiet destination away from the crowds. I am very adventurous, enjoy cooking, do not mind cleaning and hard work. If you are still looking and this scenario looks like it might work, PM me.

Stephanie
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38   #9

You can PM me your information if still interested. I am still in Cartagena, Colombia.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:51   #10

I'm very interested in this!

I'm learning Spanish and would also love a study partner! I'm just a little confused on when you plan to leave.

I've been backpacking to 18 countries doing mission work in the past year so I'm used to a minimalist approach. I'm easy to get along with and a hard worker! I would love to hear from you.
Old 10-07-2016, 19:49   #11

Boat: Shopping

I am looking at purchasing a newer boat in the 50ft range. And doing a circumnavigation myself. No sailing experience. Then hoping to start a charter business...
Old 11-07-2016, 16:55   #12

Hi, I don't have any past sailing experience but I would really love to learn. I'm learning Spanish and I have a lot of travel experience and experience living in cramped environments, I just finished living and road tripping around the UK and Europe in a small motor home with my five family members. I play babpipes and other instruments. I learn quickly and efficiently and I would like to hear more about your plans. I'm 18, male, and currently in Alaska. Thanks.
Old 18-07-2016, 12:53   #13

I am still in Cartagena, Colombia. You are welcome to come by and check things out if you are in the area. It is hard to come up with a definite schedule..... It is probably best if you have some time. Anything less than a month is really difficult to work with....
Old 19-07-2016, 07:02   #14

That's great! I won't be there till October. I would love to check it out if you're still around during that time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-07-2016, 08:12   #15

I will have left by the end of October for sure as my Colombian visa expires by then.

Tags
cartagena, enc, French Polynesia, hawaii, Panama