Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 07:48   #1

Boat: 1981 Morgan 462
Marina Palmira, La Paz, Are they theifs?

Their gate key deposit scam really sucks. I was there about 2 weeks ago for a 2 day stay, they want a 50 us dollar deposit for the gate key, but will take peso,s if you don't have dollars. So I paid 1050 peso on my visa, 2 days later when I went to leave they would not give me back the 1050 peso but instead give me 50 USD except that when I go to pay for my fuel purchase they tell me 50USD is only worth 925 peso, Now I know the dollar held it's own against the peso during the 2 days, they have a buy and sell rate that are different and if you show up with USD they will often give you back peso if it suits them. I know it was only 125 peso but it's wrong and I think other cruisers should know about this unsavory practice. I told the marina that I would never be back. Sorry for the rant, Steve
koolekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:13   #2

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Marina Palmira, La Paz, Are they theifs?

Hi Steve,

I keep my boat in Marina De La Paz, so I feel your pain. Always try to pay in pesos when you can, you will get a better exchange. The same holds for paying for fuel - different prices for cash/pesos vs credit card. Different vendors and stores give different exchange rates.

Did you enjoy your stay otherwise? La Paz and the surrounding cruising grounds are one of my favorite spots in the world.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:15   #3

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolekat View Post
Their gate key deposit scam really sucks. I was there about 2 weeks ago for a 2 day stay, they want a 50 us dollar deposit for the gate key, but will take peso,s if you don't have dollars. So I paid 1050 peso on my visa, 2 days later when I went to leave they would not give me back the 1050 peso but instead give me 50 USD except that when I go to pay for my fuel purchase they tell me 50USD is only worth 925 peso, Now I know the dollar held it's own against the peso during the 2 days, they have a buy and sell rate that are different and if you show up with USD they will often give you back peso if it suits them. I know it was only 125 peso but it's wrong and I think other cruisers should know about this unsavory practice. I told the marina that I would never be back. Sorry for the rant, Steve

Yep it does suck but the bank gave you 1050 not them and when in another country the best policy is ALWAYS pay in their currency.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 17:53   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I don't quite understand.... you paid in pesos and I assume got a receipt in pesos

So when they tried to reimburse in USD why did you not insist the pay you back in pesos as the receipt indicates?

Pleasant but Firm!

I am like you, I hate those scams and will fight more because of the principal, rather than the money

I think it is our responsibility to dissuade those practices.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:59   #5
mcm

When this stuff happens, get their email addy, do the post to the net and copy them with the post outling how many cruisers will see this bad behavior.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:59   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Got to love Mexico, this is pretty common throughout the country. Another way to make a buck, their country, their rules. I think the warm weather is worth it. I like the people also.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Got to love Mexico, this is pretty common throughout the country. Another way to make a buck, their country, their rules. I think the warm weather is worth it. I like the people also.
That's the right attitude amigo...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:23   #8

Capt Loyd, I agree their country their rules, but if enough people say no they'll change their practices, it's that simple. If it effects the bottom line for Marina Palmira they'll change.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:25   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

am i the only one finding the complaint about the ever changing peso vs dollar exchange rate a bit much?
when you buy items in mexico priced in usdollars you MUST expect a daily if not hourly change in value of peso to dollar.
at present the rate favors our purchasing in pesos.
dollar prices change hourly.
i figger those unable to tolerate this constant change need to find a happy place in which to hide form constant change.
sorry--you chose to be in la paz, the most gringo area in mexico.
it is not a scam but the fact of buying items in usdollars which is the issue. dollar based items fluctuate greatly in price day to day dependent on exchange rate.
if you wish to play exchange rate roullette, go to a money changer or a bank
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26   #10

MCM I will contact Marina Palmira with a link to here after a few more days responses, that's if enough people agree with me.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:54   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolekat View Post
MCM I will contact Marina Palmira with a link to here after a few more days responses, that's if enough people agree with me.
Good luck with that. I don't think they are going to pay for the wall either.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:03   #12

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
am i the only one finding the complaint about the ever changing peso vs dollar exchange rate a bit much?
when you buy items in mexico priced in usdollars you MUST expect a daily if not hourly change in value of peso to dollar.
at present the rate favors our purchasing in pesos.
dollar prices change hourly.
i figger those unable to tolerate this constant change need to find a happy place in which to hide form constant change.
sorry--you chose to be in la paz, the most gringo area in mexico.
it is not a scam but the fact of buying items in usdollars which is the issue. dollar based items fluctuate greatly in price day to day dependent on exchange rate.
if you wish to play exchange rate roullette, go to a money changer or a bank
I'm in Ensenada. There are more gringos in la Paz? Frightening.

I like to think of the little scams played here as taxes. Just not government instituted. Kind of 'bypass the middle man and give back to the people'. Nobody complains about the overwhelming government scams that plague the first world countries.
Disclaimer; from Canada, home of 40% income tax.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:16   #13

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

We were in Palmira last winter (Ha-Ha class of '15), and they were doing this then, and they explained how it worked to us in some detail, so we would understand the potential for losing money if we paid in Pesos. We paid in US cash, so no issues for us. I know the very nice office lady who spoke good English has left, perhaps the new person couldn't make themselves understood?
I found the staff at Palmira helpful & friendly for the couple of months we were in & out of there in the winter of '15-'16.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:41   #14

Boat: Corbin 39

I don't feel this is a big deal . He paid on his US Visa and got a good exchange when he went to get it back he was paid cash in pesos at a lower rate then he got earlier . I operate a business in Canada I wish people paid me only in Canadian dollars , after all its Canada. That being said 50% of my business is American and I do not give the same rate the banks give, IM not a bank , I don't check the daily exchange, My monies might sit in a safe for 5 days before I make a deposit and rate may have changed by then. Therefore I charge a rate I know I'm not going to lose on. Its also extra work for my book keeper.
Its simple when in another country use their currency when at all you can.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:23   #15

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We are in Marina Palmira right now, and have had no problems.
Here's a summary of your complaint:
  • You paid the $50 security deposit on your credit card. 1050 pesos for $50 means they used 21 for the peso to us rate. You didn't mention what this charged actually costed you in USD.
  • When you left, they gave you $50 USD, making you whole again.
  • Fuel dock gave you 925 pesos for your $50 USD, at an exchange rate of 18.5 pesos per dollar. This is publicly posted at the fuel dock. Had you paid with the same credit card, you would have got a better rate.

How you could improve your experience in Mexico:
  • If the posted exchange rate is lower than the rate you get at the atm, you should be paying in pesos, or using a credit card if the total is 500 pesos or more.
  • Local knowledge - We keep $100 reserved for key deposits. This happens at more than one marina. If they request the deposit in USD, which I believe is technically illegal, and refund in USD, it's best to use USD.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la paz