Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 16:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393, Oceanis
SF Bay To Seattle Area

Looking for an experienced volunteer coastal passage making crew from Oakland, CA. to the Everett, WA. area. Final destination to be determined before departure, based on slip availability. Departure planned for the first-mid part of July, 2018.

I have a good condition, seaworthy, and reasonably outfitted two cabin model 2003 Beneteau 393. I have owned, upgraded, and sailed this boat in the bay area, both in the bay and through the gate in the ocean. I have never made this passage, but have been told it is into the waves and wind generally all of the way, with the bar crossings to harbors having the potential to get ugly.

With the possibility of not being able to make it into a harbor each night, we have to be prepared for over night cruising. Two people could do it, three or four would be better.

If interested in this challenge, please send me a note detailing your experience and availability to:

mpl239 at yahoo dot com
mpl239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 17:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: SF Bay To Seattle Area

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Since you have never sailed that part of the West coast yet, I suggest reading through the comments posted in the threads you will find via this link.

You will find many tips from CF Members who have sailed it both ways and at different times.

Good luck on your crew search and Bon Voyage!

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...823j1395847j12
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 15:36   #3

Interesting trip. PM sent.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 21:52   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl239 View Post
Looking for an experienced volunteer coastal passage making crew from Oakland, CA. to the Everett, WA. area. Final destination to be determined before departure, based on slip availability. Departure planned for the first-mid part of July, 2018.

I have a good condition, seaworthy, and reasonably outfitted two cabin model 2003 Beneteau 393. I have owned, upgraded, and sailed this boat in the bay area, both in the bay and through the gate in the ocean. I have never made this passage, but have been told it is into the waves and wind generally all of the way, with the bar crossings to harbors having the potential to get ugly.

With the possibility of not being able to make it into a harbor each night, we have to be prepared for over night cruising. Two people could do it, three or four would be better.

If interested in this challenge, please send me a note detailing your experience and availability to:

mpl239 at yahoo dot com
I would strongly suggest that you consider doing long stretches offshore
after you leave SF, especially when you sail along the OR coast. If you’re not accustomed to sailing at night, I would strongly suggest that you find one or two crew who are. The OR coast is quite nasty and bar crossings can be quite dangerous. Thinking that you can sail during the day and pull into a harbor for the night is, at best, fanciful. I would suggest that you have sufficient provisions for 5 to 10 days at sea, expecting that you may not be able to make landfall for that period.
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:46   #5

Robmo,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Ideally I would like to have a minimum crew of three. Additional provisions are a good idea, I was planning on a 5 day supply; now will increase that to 8 to 10 days. In addition to the 35 gallons of fuel in tankage, I have an additional 14 gallons on deck. With water at 120 gallons, that should not be a problem.

As always, travel is weather dependent. I am not schedule driven on this adventure.

Mike
Old 02-06-2018, 07:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmo View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thinking that you can sail during the day and pull into a harbor for the night is, at best, fanciful. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thinking that you can sail during the day is the fanciful part. Not if you want to get anywhere. A starboard tack would end up sending you further south! And the coast curves west as you go north, so port tacks can't be long boards.

The "trick" is to either choose to go outside or choose to harbor hop. We harbor hopped and motored every day, NO sailing. NO wind days were days we really moved north.

You may be interested in this:

I've posted our log (with charts) here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:16   #7

Stu,

Thank you, I had previously read your concise, well written and definitive blog. Previously I did not see your charts.

I based my plans based on your experience, most importantly no hard schedule, everything weather permitting; allowing for 24 hour sailing with a crew of three. My hat off to you and Morgan for going the distance.

Mike
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46   #8

Thanks, Mike, glad you enjoyed it. We sure did.

Safe journey. Let me know when you're up in the San Juans and we can share travel stories.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:54   #9

Stu,
I look forward to meeting you. After I get in the area I will advise.

We intend to explore the area and do some fishing this year, leaving the boat for the winter and return in the spring to head to the Sitka area for next summer; returning to Washington before the weather turns in the fall.

Mike
Old 02-06-2018, 09:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Since you have never sailed that part of the West coast yet, I suggest reading through the comments posted in the threads you will find via this link.

You will find many tips from CF Members who have sailed it both ways and at different times.

Good luck on your crew search and Bon Voyage!

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...823j1395847j12
Steadman,

An impressive resume. If you are bored and would like to join in from SF to Blaine, Wa; the first part of July, let me know and let us see what we can work out.

Mike
Old 11-06-2018, 15:02   #11

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Make sure your tank is cleaned and you have plenty of filters. It is a bash!!
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 07:43   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
Interesting trip. PM sent.
Hi Mike,
Paul here did a trip with me about two years ago from San Diego to Puget Sound. He was great company and knew the ropes so to say. I would request him again if the occasion came up!

BTW we were head-to in the wind the whole way until we got into the Sound, mostly hammering and steering into the waves most of the way. A strong auto pilot would be nice to have.

Tags
seattle, sf bay