Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Replacing Windows and/or Window Seals

My Albin Vega 27 has a classic case of the leaky windows. Vegas are known for this, as their windows are held in place by gaskets that break down from exposure over time. It's not intolerable, but it's certainly annoying, especially when waves are crashing and I'm getting saltwater in my cushions and on my wood trim.

The UK Albin Vega group once sold aluminum frame replacement kits for the windows, which I would have been happy to buy, but it seems like they're no longer selling them.

I would even be happy to just buy replacement gaskets and re-seat all the windows. The group also sold these kits, but again, they no longer do.

Thus it seems that I'm left with having custom work done, or coming up with my own solution. One such solution I have seen done before is cutting a piece of polycarbonate larger than the window hole, and bolting and sealing it in place. I'm not too big a fan of this solution though, as it requires putting 60 something holes into the hull.

I'm open to other suggestions, and better yet, a source for Vega parts. I will be in Grenada for most of hurricane season, and would like to have the window job complete before making the passage to Panama.

Thank you,

- Bryan
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:42   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Replacing Windows and/or Window Seals

There are some great threads on this topic. Including how to bond oversize acrylic, or polycarbonate windows directly to the cabin side, without bolts. I believe VHB tape is the secret behind this, but the answers will turn up in a search.

PS: The bonded on windows almost always add class & style to a boat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:10   #3

Boat: Albin Vega

Hey Ryban.

The large windows in my Vega are aluminium framed like the ones VAGB used to sell. Mine were custom made by a firm called Houdini Windows which is located , I think, in Liverpool England. These ones cost around £600 and were custom made for the boat based on templates created by the previous owner. I've been told the front four windows would cost about £600 for the set as well.

These windows are about six years old I think and still going strong. Eventually I'll get the front four done too.

Maybe give Houdini a call.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
... Mine were custom made by a firm called Houdini Windows which is located , I think, in Liverpool England ...
Houdini Marine Windows Ltd
Southminster, Essex, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1621 773590

Email: sales@houdini-marine.co.uk

Web: https://www.houdini-marine.co.uk/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:03   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

With modern adhesives there is no need to bolt your windows to the boat. There are several options, including GM 5952 VHB tape, urethane and architectural silicone. I have used them all and they all work great. You also have 3 choices of window material. If your surface is flat then glass is a great option and the one I prefer. If curved then you can use acrylic or polycarbonate and either have it bent professionally or do it yourself. Polycarbonate has good shatter resistance, but will cloud up over time. Acrylic is prone to crazing, but this can be alleviated by having it annealed after cutting.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10   #6

Boat: Tartan 40

I tend to find that boats that have replaced their framed windows with oversized acrylic bolted to cabin lose a lot of aesthetic appeal- but of course practicality is a great appeal as well. I am a huge of butyl tape for sealing windows
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 13:05   #7

Boat: Albin Vega

I agree, I don't like the stick on windows at all; looks tacky to me.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 15:01   #8

Replacing Windows and/or Window Seals

Not sure your exact situation. If you have existing metal frames they may be candidates for reconditioning and refastening.

If no existing metal frames, and you are willing to increase hatch size, you might cut a little fiberglass out and then go off the shelf with one size larger frames.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals, wind