Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 08:27   #1

CHARTERS IN BVI, AVI

We,( a group of 6 guys ) have been chartering yachts from the Moorings for more than 30 years. These trips have mostly been from St Lucia to Granada. We have taken both mono and cats, the largest being 52'. More recently we decided on only taking cats for the comfort and roominess. The decision to continue to charter from the Moorings ,( in spite of the cost being higher) was based on their support system in the event of a breakdown. We are planning a nostalgic trip back to the BVI, we did our first charter. Because of the minimal distance between islands we don't think the Moorings support network is needed and worth the difference in price. Can anyone recommend a less expensive reliable alternative to the Moorings in the BVI or AVI. We want a 40+ cat, 4 cabins, 4 heads. Thanks for your advice.
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 12:14   #2

Re: CHARTERS IN BVI, AVI

I don't know if we're allowed to do this on the forum, but we use Virgin Island Sailing (Virgin Island Sailing Vacations: BVI Yacht Charters, Caribbean Sailing). I have no financial benefit by saying this.

Makes it a lot easier than asking on the forum.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 16:58   #3

We've just returned from our second trip using: Vacances sous voiles.

They're a Canadian based company, competitively priced and terrific to work with. Based out of Nanny Cay, there's a good hotel on site and relatively quiet compared to Road Town. Great support while under way. No commercial interest, just satisfied customers.

Cheers
CaptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:20   #4

Has anyone had any experience with Voyage Charters. I understand that there contracts may be one sided, but I'm looking for first hand experience renting from them. What was the condition of the boat, did you need and assistance during the charter and was it provided, were you able to change the contract in any way. Thanks in advance for yourhelp
Old 21-07-2017, 11:07   #5

I would prefer to go through 10 mechanical faults with Voyage before ordealing a 2nd fault through the Moorings Super Center.

AMHIK
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:27   #6

Please describe your unpleasant experiences with the Moorings. Were you in the BVI or another location? What were the mechanical issues?
Old 21-07-2017, 12:50   #7

CHARTERS IN BVI, AVI

Old 21-07-2017, 14:20   #8

Thumbs down Re: CHARTERS IN BVI, AVI

Not very informative. Why post something without any details when asked for them. Do you work for the other charter company??
Old 21-07-2017, 14:33   #9

Having used both, my flat out recommendation is Voyage.

I can think of more than one reason not to publicly disparage--maybe you can as well?

I have never worked for either firm, or any charter firm, anywhere, ever and hold no financial interest in either.
Old 21-07-2017, 15:11   #10

We chartered with Sail Caribe in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. Flights to PR are 50% less than flights to nearby BVI. Nice people, great boats, first class marina.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:45   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42

We have charted multiple times with TMM. Their service has always been amazing. The fleet is pretty much as new as it gets with many 2016-2018 boats. They include wifi with all the boats . The only negative is that they have outgrown the marina and during the busy turn-around days the marina can become a hilarious s--t show. But they are highly recommended.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 05:59   #12

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Agree with BlueBudda that TMM is first class outfit. Great support. On TravelTalkOnline (TTOL), which is mostly charter cruising folks, TMM is widely respected. Highly rated on ongoing maintenance and rapid support when needed.
The marina is crowded, but they do a great job of having boats rearranged for departure(Never been delayed a minute on 6 trips) and on return, have had to wait 10-15 minutes once.

I have chartered with Moorings before and felt very good. I feel TMM maintain boats better.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 17:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post
We chartered with Sail Caribe in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. Flights to PR are 50% less than flights to nearby BVI. Nice people, great boats, first class marina.

DWM you are so right about that flight cost advantage. Plus many more direct flights to PR as well.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:58   #14

Boat: beneteau 430

Maybe instead of chartering a boat you can win a week for free on mine
Watch the video all is explain on it to win
https://youtu.be/IZjsGz8DpTA
SV.Souls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter