Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 09:58   #1

California to Costa Rica

I'm interested in taking my potter 15 down the Pacific coast to Costa Rica. I'm hoping to get a realistic idea of what that trip will be like. Any information will be helpful! Thanks!
Mrphbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:55   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: California to Costa Rica

If done on a trailer, sure, a good chance of success. Sailing... I think you would be pushing the limits much further than good sense would suggest. The Potter may be a good 15 foot boat, but it is still a 15 foot boat, and there are some pretty hairy stretches of coastline on that route.

Jim
Old 25-01-2018, 14:23   #3

Thanks Jim
Mrphbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 14:56   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

What Jim said. Out of the nine days I took to get from Ensenada to Los cabos three of them were very rough. Green water over the decks, waves breaking into the cockpit. My boat's not much bigger than yours but is a fair bit heavier. The run from Cabo to Costa Rica you will have to travel a couple hundred miles offshore or keep one foot on the beach to avoid t-peckers.

My advice would be to truck your boat to San Felipe, enjoy a cruise down the sea of Cortez and decide if you'd still like to coastal hop through central America.

Best of luck.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:02   #5

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

The last time I was anchored in the Gulf of Dulce, there was an 18 foot sloop anchored alongside. He had sailed down from Newport, CA. On board was a gal who was new to sailing who had answered a classified ad about sailing the high seas. She knew no better but they made it.

If you can keep the hull deck joint from separating, keep the rig up and most importantly keep the majority of the water out, you should be able to make it. The question begs though... why would you?

The big problem with a boat this size is pitch poling when the water you’re sitting in goes upside down. Not to mention the lack of space you’ll have for storing needed supplies.

Yes it can be done but then again you could sell the WWP 15 and go shopping for a 30 something footer for very nearly the same price.

Trailering it was very good advise. I hope you’ll listen and take this to heart.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 19:40   #6

Boat: Union cutter 33

It’s dam hot down here we r in huatulco Mexico and it s 35 plus every day in the shade so sitting in a boat in a anchorage with no shade it’s Dam Hot we are on a 34 ft boat couldn’t imagine anything smaller it gets really ruff down here
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 21:05   #7

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I went through the Gulf of Tehuantepec some years back. Gusts of 60 knot (yes, 60!)winds, and deathly treacherous seas. Not a place for a 15 foot anything!! You could have a great time trailering down and sailing in decent weather and protected areas.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:03   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

My first boat was a WWP15. I mostly sailed it in the ocean outside my home port of Morro Bay. I picked my days carefully and never got into serious trouble. Maybe 18 knots of wind and 4 foot waves with a few whitecaps. I tried to work out how I could sail south to the Santa Barbara Channel (80 miles) and gave up. Just too much work for an old guy.

But I saw a 17 foot boat, much like a Potter, with Radar reflector in the rigging arrive at Morro Bay and sail out the next morning. He was certainly sailing it down the coast so it can be done (if you are strong, brave, and young).

I didn't give up. My next "Potter" was a Pacific Seacraft Dana, 24 feet and a bit heavier. Now I know the coast fairly well. Probably wouldn't want to take a Potter around Pt. Conception where normal is 20-30 knots of wind.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, Costa Rica