Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 05:05   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Anchor Rode Clunk

While there is some reassurance hearing the anchor rode go "clunk" as the boat swings back and forth because that means the anchor is still set, I get tired of it.

What ways have others found to quiet the clunk from the rode sliding back and forth across the bow roller while at anchor?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:13   #2

Re: Anchor Rode Clunk

Are you on chain or nylon rode?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:24   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We let our chain go slack over the roller and take the strain with the bridle and cleats. No messy clunk!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We let our chain go slack over the roller and take the strain with the bridle and cleats. No messy clunk!!
This!

Your roller shouldn't be taking any strain. The chain should just be hanging loose between the roller and a snubber or bridle, so there shouldn't be any "clunk".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35   #5

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What ways have others found to quiet the clunk from the rode sliding back and forth across the bow roller while at anchor?
We make it a habit to deploy a snubber if we're going to be anchored overnight. A plate hooks over one link of the rode and then there is a line on either side of the plate that is secured to a cleat. Once installed, which only takes a minute, the snubber takes all of the load. Let out a couple more feet of rode to relax it on the bow roller and it a) takes all the strain off of the bow roller and b) eliminates any sliding back and forth across the roller. Just a suggestion.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35   #6
CLOD

the chain is slack and isn't even going over the roller, it the nylon snubber rolling in/out of the groove of the roller
Old 06-03-2017, 05:43   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Lightly tie it in place with a brightly colored piece of small diameter line. Such as neon pink 1.5mm cord, using a slip knot like on your shoelaces for the knot that connects it to the roller. You can first tie the cord to the rode with a more substantial knot if you like, & then use the slip knot to attach it to the roller.

Or, run a snubber on a bridle to your two bow cleats, port & starboard. Where their chafing gear won't be able to move enough to go clunk in their chocks.

PS: And yes, cutting free small diameter cordage on my rode at the last second, because I forgot that it was there, is one of those times I was Very glad that I always carry a knife when onboard.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:49   #8

Boat: 41' yawl

Place your snubber from the bow cleat though the chock and to the chain, as opposed to threading it over a bow roller.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:52   #9

Quote:
the chain is slack and isn't even going over the roller, it the nylon snubber rolling in/out of the groove of the roller
You will find over time that your nylon snubber will start to chafe around the bow roller. I use an internally reinforced plastic plumbing hose, 1" diameter that the rode goes thru at the roller. It keeps the nylon from being chafed as well as not allowing any noise as the snubber stretches back and forth in stronger breezes . It's about a foot long and I drill a hole in one end and use an 1/8 lines to secure it from moving down, it never wants to move back. I'll try and post a pic of our setup, when it stops raining.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58   #10

Here's one I just snapped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170306_074715.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	142542  
Old 06-03-2017, 06:19   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You will find over time that your nylon snubber will start to chafe around the bow roller. I use an internally reinforced plastic plumbing hose, 1" diameter that the rode goes thru at the roller. It keeps the nylon from being chafed as well as not allowing any noise as the snubber stretches back and forth in stronger breezes . It's about a foot long and I drill a hole in one end and use an 1/8 lines to secure it from moving down, it never wants to move back. I'll try and post a pic of our setup, when it stops raining.
I was thinking of trying this even though I have chafe protection on the snubber. My thought was that it would make the line thicker and allow it to maybe roll on the edge of the roller. I'm a little worried that it would trap heat from the snubber stretching.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29   #12

Quote:
I was thinking of trying this even though I have chafe protection on the snubber. My thought was that it would make the line thicker and allow it to maybe roll on the edge of the roller. I'm a little worried that it would trap heat from the snubber stretching.
Been doing this for so many years I have forgotten, never had an issue with heat, there's lots of room in a 1 or 1-1/4" hose to dissipate heat but if your snubber is getting lots of action there is always some heat that is generated from deep inside the rode and no matter how good they look from the outside they should be replaced every once in awhile. After a couple of years you'll notice the snubber line will become a bit stiff in places and that's a good sign to change it.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:03   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

What a pleasure to see such a post from SB1. This can only mean that his daily concerns are in the nature of having his siesta interrupted by the clunking of a well set anchor... Cruise on Don.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47   #14

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

Pull a noodle over the rode. Widen the hole if necessary.
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01   #15

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yep, here's a picture of ours on Rocinante's foredeck... works!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	142692

Tags
anchor, rode