Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 12:26   #46
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post

But from Dons reactions to the facts, it sounds to me like he is already 100% convinced this is the boat for him so we'll have to all wish him all the best if he buys one. Don asked for feedback - he's got it - he can take or ignore each bit as best suits him.

JOHN

No the only thing I'm 100% convinced of is that production boats (all the B/H/C/J starting named boats) will always have bashers. Since a later posting says that Cal-39s lost some rudders during ARC I'm sure I can get almost as many people to tell me my Cal-39 is crap!

One thing I am sure is that if Hunter really overall made boats that were total crap they would go out of business. This can be said on any product that consumers have options.
Old 21-06-2010, 12:30   #47
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
A brand new Hunter 45DS was launched at our marina. The second it hit the water it started to sink. Seems the keel was leaking like a sieve at the hull joint. Take from this what you will....
And I bet this cost Hunter a lot of money and the owner none. But since I wouldn't buy a new boat regardless I would be more interested in a story that said a 15 year Hunter had it's keel just suddenly fall off or start leaking like a sieve.
Old 21-06-2010, 12:42   #48
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
There were NO Hunters in last year's ARC rally.

There are NO Hunters in this year's ARC WORLD rally.

There is only ONE hunter in this years PuddleJump (Hunter 41DS)

There will be NO hunter purchased by SaltyMonkey.
Old 21-06-2010, 13:17   #49

As others have pointed out Hunter has probably made more models in the past 30 years than anyone else. Arguing that they all suck or they're all great is silly. For owner reviews of specific models, go here:

HunterOwners.com

I don't know much about newer Hunter models, but we cruised an '83 H34 from Florida to South America and back ('99-'02). She served us well and she was an outstanding light wind performer - too tender and squirrely downwind for me to consider crossing an ocean in her - but it's been done. And, the Cherubini H37C and the Legend H40 are also outstanding in light winds, and in good condition they can take you most anywhere. An '87 H40 was the fastest pure cruising boat of its size I have ever been on - Cape May to Hamilton, Bermuda in 94 hours - it wasn't a race and the conditions were far from ideal.

One kind of odd thing about the older Hunters is that they frequently came in shoal draft and deep draft versions. Our H34 was deep draft 5'6". The H40 I crewed on was also deep draft 6'6" - not an ideal Bahamas boat.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 21-06-2010, 14:29   #50

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
not saying your wrong, because your in that part of the world, you may have more info, BUT, I'd reall like to see the proof..... where did you get the info........
Hi Randy,

I'd not suggest all we read on the web is true, but that number of lost rudders was recorded and published by Hunter themselves in 2005. I've no knowledge of any others that may or may not have got lost since then.

That 2005 data is contained in page 12 of this Hunter safety briefing - http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/P...2005TuneUp.pdf:

Cheers
JOHN
Old 21-06-2010, 14:31   #51

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Go Hunter

I have sailed the big Hunters, I believe it was the passage model. It was stiff, built like a tank. I have been accross the pond and up and down the caribbean. I believe it is better built than the other 2-3 bug production boats out there. Read...Beneteau. Needs more hand holds and lee cloths but other than that....the boat rocks......GO HUNTER!!!
Old 21-06-2010, 14:47   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
... That 2005 data is contained in page 12 of this Hunter safety briefing - http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/P...2005TuneUp.pdf:
Cheers
JOHN
Certainly, an authoritative source: Hunter Marine “Summer 2005 Safety TuneUp”

“... Specifically, Hunter Marine is aware of 16 rudders which have been lost on boats within your size range ... [sic: 450/456/460/466/46]”

Old 21-06-2010, 14:51   #53

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
I do worry about what some say about the production boats like Hunters.....
but happy wife...equalls happy life.
Old 21-06-2010, 15:04   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
At least they were honest about it.
Old 21-06-2010, 15:19   #55
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Peading guilty is still guilty

"If it ain't steel, it's bound to leak and heel!"
Old 21-06-2010, 15:24   #56

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

“... Specifically, Hunter Marine is aware of 16 rudders which have been lost on boats within your size range ... [sic: 450/456/460/466/46]”

The number 16 really doesn't mean anything to me. Out of the five models listed I would like to see a percentage value put to the number of failed rudders. That may make it sound better or worse, depending on that value.

I currently own and sail a 1980 Hunter 25 on the Potomac and Chesapeake. I love it, it has never let me down, it is in incredible shape, the PO took great care of it. But I'm in the market for a long range cruiser and I haven't looked at one Hunter for that purpose, mainly because of the reputation I've read about on this forum. But my budget also isn't limiting me to Hunters, Catalinas and such.

And when I buy my bigger boat, I'm NOT selling the Hunter 25. I may sign it over to a friend with the condition he never sell it and if I ever want it back I get it, but it will not be sold if I can help it.
Old 21-06-2010, 15:32   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The link was offered, by swagman, in support of his claim, and responding to Bash's comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
... This is hardly an epidemic of mechanical failures, especially considering the number of Hunters out there sailing.

The claim that "over 15 Hunters have dropped their rudders," needs support, at best. I know of three instances, all of which were well publicized. (And I personally know two of the owners who lost those rudders, and both continue to cruise Hunter yachts.) So where did those other 12 come from? Urban mythology?

Old 21-06-2010, 15:38   #58

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
At least they were honest about it.
It seems they were - and good for them. Clearly as others have reported, they have also built some boats that have pleased some owners.

It would also seem the thread is getting somewhat heated. Providing the facts was not meant to do that.

I thought Dons original question was over why the name Hunter evokes such feelings - why should Don be concerned over buying one to cruise off on? Hopefully he got the all feedback he asked for and can now decide for himself - and we can all get back to more serious things.

Like sailing!

Cheers
JOHN
Old 21-06-2010, 15:45   #59

We also had a rudder issue with our Hunter. Our H34 was 16 years old when we bought her. She was mistakenly built with an H31 rudder - not a great testiment to Hunter quality control. But, there had been a recall, and the POs didn't pick up on it. On our first call to Hunter tech support (unrelated issue) we were advised of this, and within a week they sent us a new rudder from some outfit in Rhode Island. Hunter refused to pay for installation because we were a little out of warranty. But, there is something to be said for a company which is still in business and wants to stay that way.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 21-06-2010, 22:56   #60
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
16 rudders falling off a production run of 2,000 per year is nothing.

One would suppose when buying a new boat for a long cruise it would be in the bigger, or biggest range. I love Beneteaus but I wouldnt buy their 31 footer for our job.

Few people buy and sail off whithout some fore thought so things like lee cloths (that take about 10 seconds to add, and I doubt are stndard equipment on any boats excepting Swans) and checking to see if the keel is attached can be assisted by experts - a surveyor! One surveyor look as you take delivery and one just before the warenty period expires.

The price point on the modern production boats is very low.... very, very low. So one should be able to buy a new (or newer) boat than otherwise, plus people should be able to buy a larger boat than otherwise.

If the sums worked out at buying a 40 foot 1980 Swan and a brand new 46 to 50 foot Hunter to circumnavigate I would buy the hunter. I would save my relationship, have a better life myself and probably feel a darn sight better about my decision

If you buy a 30 footer production boat to go around the Horn then you are stupid.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter