Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 11:49   #1

Looking to hire someone to take my family to cancun area by boat.

We are moving south and don’t like flying our 2 dogs , would anyone be interested in giving me a price for taking us there?
My son and I are able bodied but no sailing experience.
We have 3 kids and my wife and I and the 2 dogs.
Whats y’all thoughts ? Is there a better way? Am I approaching this wrong?
Thanks friends !
russelljw1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 11:52   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 46
Re: Looking to hire someone to take my family to cancun area by boat.

where are you starting from?
verb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 12:33   #3

Anywhere in Florida .
Old 17-05-2019, 13:33   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You're going to need a commercially licensed skipper with a fairly large vessel and that's going to get expensive fast. Once you leave the dock, if any of you (dogs too) get seasick or have issues...what will you do for two weeks? Or where can you bug out? (No refunds either.) And hurricane season is coming.

Then there are often different arrival visas and terms needed for casual folks on boats, as opposed to coming into a country by commercial transit. Make sure you've got all that correct.

It might pay to all get in a van, drive down to the border, and take a commercial small charter flight that will let the dogs fly with you. Or take a long road trip and drive all the way.

Commercial airlines often won't fly pets in hot weather, but *sometimes* they'll allow a pet in a properly sized crate to fly in a cabin seat, assuming they can fit. Kinda impossible for the big dogs, but trying to do it by boat...That's almost like looking for another Captain Ron movie.

Good luck with that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 14:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

So if I understand you —- there will be 3 children, 2 dogs and 2 adults. And none of the passengers have blue water experience.

To be honest, I have the license and if I was offered money to run a 44-48’ cat (size boat you need) on this, I would refuse. Way to many ways for this to go ugly, and as the Master I am responsible.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 14:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
So if I understand you —- there will be 3 children, 2 dogs and 2 adults. And none of the passengers have blue water experience.

To be honest, I have the license and if I was offered money to run a 44-48’ cat (size boat you need) on this, I would refuse. Way to many ways for this to go ugly, and as the Master I am responsible.
Yeah I hear you.
We have been on boats in open ocean, (a cat) a few times .
But anyway, have they started a Ferry yet? I keep hearing about one to start from Tampa to Progresso .
Old 18-05-2019, 09:57   #7
Marine Service Provider

Like Snore, I can do the job. I have the license, even though its not needed once out of US territorial waters (Don't know about Mexican waters). I have a 47' PowerCat, 4-cabin charter version, available after her last charter in mid-August. I love dogs, cats and some people.

If you are located anywhere in Florida or the gulf coast I will hire a deckhand, motor the boat from the BVI to wherever you are. Pick you up and deliver ya'all to Cancun.

Price: $20,000 plus all expenses (including costs to return boat and crew) which include, but may not be limited to, deckhand pay, boat insurance, fuel, provisions, air fare for me and the deckhand, hotels for same if required, exit and entry expenses, maintenance along the way and bail to get us all out of jail in Cancun if you don't have all the proper documents to immigrate to Mexico. Oh, and legal fees if I'm jailed for human trafficking.

Or, I could lease the boat to Snore and he could do the job.

Or for two grand you might buy a beater van and drive there from anywhere in North or South America.

Just kidding. Hope you can pull it off and have a great life in Mexico, one of my favorite places and people.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 10:16   #8
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Don’t give up your idea yet!
If you can afford a crewed luxury vessel, such as a 60 foot power cat or motor yacht, you could have the time of your life while getting to Cancun. Of course, you’ll want to consider going back to Florida on the same boat so that you don’t pay to deadhead it back to the BVI or FL base. That means you would have the boat available to you while vacationing in Cancun. Nice.

Can the dogs do their thing on a moving boat? How big are they? These might be the questions the charter company will need to know.

As far as the sea sickness goes you can just get some scopalamine or stugeron since you won’t be driving the boat. In a day or so you’ll be over at sea sickness.
Old 18-05-2019, 10:26   #9

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Cancun? I hope you have been there recently. I just spent a week there (got back yesterday) and it is about the worse place I have ever visited. There are far, far better places to live in Mexico. That being said, I agree with everyone else. Drive there. Be sure to have your vet certificates for the dogs.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 11:05   #10

Have you thought about flying private? A chartered flight on a King Air or similar should be cheaper than the charter and a whole lot faster. Flying private is a whole different experience than commercial.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 11:33   #11

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

I'd concur with hellosailor, jmschmidt and jackheape. Get an old reliable van or small RV and have yourselves and adventure by driving. It should be a learning opportunity for all and you might discover areas which are far more enticing to spend some time along the way. The only caveat, once in Mexico, only drive during the day. The cost of a used van or RV, plus insurance and fuel (~$4 US/gal) should amount to a fraction of the price of hiring a suitable boat with a qualified crew to take your clan south. Food is relatively inexpensive and with a little research, appropriate spots to spend the night or camp can be found. There's history to be learned and adventure to be lived.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 15:50   #12

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Used to be able to hire passage on freighters heading that way out of Tampa for a couple hundred per head.
Check with a stevedore company. These are companies that perform local business dealings for ships like this.
Would be a great adventure!
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 19:45   #13

I’m a delivery captain, just finished a similar job , hour looking at about 3000 usd :81$039261. Captain B
Btravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 08:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelljw1976 View Post
Yeah I hear you.
We have been on boats in open ocean, (a cat) a few times .
But anyway, have they started a Ferry yet? I keep hearing about one to start from Tampa to Progresso .
No no ferry yet. JMSchmidt stated a “Schmidt-load” of ways for a Master to have issues doing this job. Some could end him in jail. Assuming a crewed power-cat, with documentation for all the passengers and critters, don’t know—- the fee would be HUGE.

Have you pondered sedating the dogs for a commercial flight, or as someone mentioned, perhaps a freighter would be reasonable options that would likely cost less?

Finally, you can wet lease an airplane for $6-700/hour. Sedate the dogs and fly them private, while the brood goes commercial.

Best of luck.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:52   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Maybe I'm having a deja vu but it seems this question was asked before on this forum and ultimately the reason was for illegal entry or flight from the law, something like that.

It really can't make any sense over simply driving a car.

Tags
boat, cancun, family