Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2017, 03:17   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless!
Full charts for a circumnavigation for £109. Really?

Dear Community,

My armchair planning and provisioning are gathering momentum as boat purchase nears.

Navigation: I have been looking at OpenCPN and other free chart software and download options of late. 'Free' is great and something I'd rather experience over 'paid', but, I am finding it all a little intimidating and not very user-friendly. This could just be me, I hasten to add! So, this got me thinking about my previous setup when sailing around the Greek islands. There, I was using my Samsung Tab 4 with Navionics+ European chart set. It worked a treat (admittedly, much better with 3/4G to bolster the GPS signal).

This morning I dug my Tablet out of the cupboard, charged it up, and opened the Navionics app. I then looked at worldwide chart options. For all the charts necessary to complete a (my planned) circumnavigation it came to £109.93 (I already own the European chart).

Breakdown of charts as follows:

European - already owned.
Canaries/Azores/Madeira - £16.49
Carribean and S. America - £10.99
N. America and Canada - £10.99
Pacific islands - £16.49
Australia and N.Z. - £12.99
The Indian Ocean and South China Sea - £16.49
Africa and The Middle East - £25.49

Total - £109.93

I appreciate this system will undoubtedly have drawbacks and I would not use it as the only navigational tool onboard. But for ease of use and relative cost-effectiveness, it seems to make sense to me! What am I missing? It appears to be too easy and too straightforward!

One current drawback is my Tab 4 is 7" and I'd prefer to have the 10.1". As I understand it, through Google Play Store and my Google account, my details and previous purchases are recorded meaning that the already purchased app and charts would go straight to the new device: 2 tablets running the same software and charts.

One other positive to this setup is that I plan to use Iridium GO! as the onboard comms hub. Its software can be downloaded to tablets and phones for emails, SMS and weather routing (with appropriate app) etc. etc.

Has anyone cruised extensively with a similar setup and if so, how did it work out?

As always, thank you in advance for your time and patience.

SN.
Old 20-11-2017, 04:04   #2

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Full charts for a circumnavigation for £109. Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
Dear Community,

My armchair planning and provisioning are gathering momentum as boat purchase nears.

Navigation: I have been looking at OpenCPN and other free chart software and download options of late. 'Free' is great and something I'd rather experience over 'paid', but, I am finding it all a little intimidating and not very user-friendly. This could just be me, I hasten to add! So, this got me thinking about my previous setup when sailing around the Greek islands. There, I was using my Samsung Tab 4 with Navionics+ European chart set. It worked a treat (admittedly, much better with 3/4G to bolster the GPS signal).

SN.
I was struggling with the open cpn side of things until I discovered the amazing resource put together by Terry on Vahalla, he post here occasionally and Terry if you read this I'd like to say a huge thank you! The resource is at the link below:

Terry

Scroll to the bottom and you will find an idiots guide (sorry, briefing) to setting up OCPN.

Simples.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 07:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I was struggling with the open cpn side of things until I discovered the amazing resource put together by Terry on Vahalla, he post here occasionally and Terry if you read this I'd like to say a huge thank you! The resource is at the link below:

Terry

Scroll to the bottom and you will find an idiots guide (sorry, briefing) to setting up OCPN.

Simples.
I'm happy to be called an idiot in need of guidance!!
Old 21-11-2017, 00:55   #4

Open CPN and Navionics are great value, but you'll really need to take paper charts too.

They can be costly. Bellingham chart printers in the USA do more economical black and white prints and also 2/3 versions.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 01:27   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Latest us charts available from NOAA are free and up to date.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 01:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Open CPN and Navionics are great value, but you'll really need to take paper charts too.

They can be costly. Bellingham chart printers in the USA do more economical black and white prints and also 2/3 versions.
Absolutely agree with regards the paper charts. Not sure I'll carry all of them at once - I'm more likely to get those I need to cover me to the first landfall (with areas either side, just in case). I'll then source the rest as I go, perhaps trading charts with those that are going in an opposite direction or are getting rid of some: duplicates or finished cruising etc. At least, that's the hope

Thanks for the tip on Bellinghams, I'll take a look.
Old 21-11-2017, 02:23   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We started with paper and electronic charts - had more than 120 charts of the Pacific, purchased used as a package. By the time we got to Oz and had looked at exactly two paper charts, and those only casually, we decided on electronic only for the rest of the way. We used Navionics Gold charts on a Raymarine plotter and Navionics charts on an iPad for backup. Interestingly considering they are made by the same company, the iPad ones are superior and easier house although we used them mainly for planning rather than day-to-day navigation. We also found cruising guides and online logs from people very helpful.
Old 21-11-2017, 03:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We started with paper and electronic charts - had more than 120 charts of the Pacific, purchased used as a package. By the time we got to Oz and had looked at exactly two paper charts, and those only casually, we decided on electronic only for the rest of the way. We used Navionics Gold charts on a Raymarine plotter and Navionics charts on an iPad for backup. Interestingly considering they are made by the same company, the iPad ones are superior and easier house although we used them mainly for planning rather than day-to-day navigation. We also found cruising guides and online logs from people very helpful.
Complete electronic navigation seems to be gathering pace. I'd still prefer to carry a select few paper charts, if only to have the basics to hand if all power was lost etc. Belt and braces and all that
Old 21-11-2017, 04:27   #9

Boat: Fantasia 35

Bellingham chart printers are really out of business.

If you have a printer you can print OpenCPN screen shots using the printer ICON.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:25   #10

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Complete electronic navigation seems to be gathering pace. I'd still prefer to carry a select few paper charts, if only to have the basics to hand if all power was lost etc. Belt and braces and all that
It's an interesting question ...
Could all power really be lost? In reality?
Of course one's main chart plotter could pack up... but what if you also have Navionics and/or iSailor on a half dozen mobile devices... complete with spare batteries, power packs and so on... Perhaps also with some solar panels to keep most of the kit running.
At what point, then, does the old "all power lost" become a less likely event than the paper charts getting ruined by fire, moisture, crayons or zombie attack ...?
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 09:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Of course one's main chart plotter could pack up... but what if you also have Navionics and/or iSailor on a half dozen mobile devices... complete with spare batteries, power packs and so on... Perhaps also with some solar panels to keep most of the kit running.
At what point, then, does the old "all power lost" become a less likely event than the paper charts getting ruined by fire, moisture, crayons or zombie attack ...?
Maybe I am just a paper pest! I was always around maps in my military years and just like the simplicity of them. I certainly wouldn't carry charts for all worldwide landfalls - that would be mad! But a few large-scale charts covering the main oceans, and immediate countries to be visited along the route will suffice. For me, at least, it's important not to lose that skill.

Can't beat a good Zombie attack. I think that is more likely if sailing the Welsh coastline - I'll be miles from it!
Old 21-11-2017, 10:41   #12

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Can't beat a good Zombie attack. I think that is more likely if sailing the Welsh coastline - I'll be miles from it!
Wow this post has morphed. But you can never be too careful. The Zombie Apocalypse could happen at any moment. And when it does Davy Jones Locker will surely be opened, so being at sea won't be a safe harbour. We need to be prepared, so a few paper charts for me, and a gun with silver bullets.

And a reminder, it's happened before:
Ezekiel 37.7
So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold, a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to its bone.
8 And I looked, and behold, sinews were on them, and flesh grew and skin covered them; but there was no breath in them.
9 Then He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord God, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they come to life.”’”
10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.
11 I looked again, and behold there cometh the armies leader. A fat man in a red suit, yelling yo ho ho, carrying a huge sack, his chariot pulled by horned beasts, their noses glowing like embers.
Old 21-11-2017, 10:45   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Latest US charts available from NOAA are free and up to date.
New Zealand Govt also provide free charts for our area of the Pacific.
Old 21-11-2017, 11:25   #14
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I am surprised you say that, can you elaborate ? I have not used a paper chart in the last five years and I believe I will never use them again. BTW, by french rules paper charts are not mandatory anymore. What do other countries recommend ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 11:37   #15

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Joshua Slocum (1844 -- 1909): "The goat ate the chart."

Their is a real, but very small, possibility that one could be struck by lightning. In that event "all bets are off" -- electronics wise! So, printing out a few approach and harbor charts could be a lifesaver. Literally!
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, circumnavigation, navigation