Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2017, 20:37   #1

Lagoon 400 bulkhead joint spreading

I have been looking to purchase a Lagoon 400. In a recent survey of a 2012 model, the surveyor noted the bulkhead joint spreading above the doorways in the owners cabin. There were no underlying cracks in the structure and he stated this was a common problem on this type of yacht. Is this a known issue with owners versions and does it make it unsafe for ocean crossings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1014FD9F-0176-4E83-9161-B810594B7B99.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	159236  
diverdown516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 20:47   #2

Re: Lagoon 400 bulkhead joint spreading

There is a known issue with a bulkhead on one of the circa 40 foot Lagoon models, could be the 400. Lagoon acknowledges it's a build fault, and they pay for the repair. This might apply to your boat. Could be worth contacting Lagoon, costs nothing to ask.

Also, there's a Lagoon "sub" forum here, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f139/ some of the members will likely know more about it than I do.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 22:22   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

never heard about this one.

When sailing there are few/if any forces in this area.

So my guess would be damaged when boat lifted incorrectly.

Nacelle issue build fault is a different thing and you should check whether any damage in front bulkhead and if there was fix to enable drainage. See link c44 provided for details.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 00:41   #4

The "bulkhead" photographed is not structural, and is differently configured on other layout configurations of the Lagoon 400. A clamp and some glue could be used to rectify if it bothers.

As 44C and Arsenelupiga have mentioned in previous responses, anyone considering buying a Lagoon 400 should be aware of the main bulkhead issue:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-164462.html

This issue is a serious structural issue that is a recognised fault in the Lagoon 400 model and has/is being repaired by Lagoon as a warranty claim.

I'm sure that any reputable surveyor would or should be across this issue and thus ensured that the repair was either carried out competently or did not exist in this particular vessel. Once this issue is rectified correctly the bulkhead should be of design strength or stronger. No recurrence should happen.

BTW, friends with a 6 year old Lagoon 400 are currently undergoing this repair at Lagoon's expense in Brisbane, Australia despite their boat being outside the 5 year hull warranty period.

Good luck with your survey.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 04:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, diverdown.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 08:35   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The "bulkhead" photographed is not structural, and is differently configured on other layout configurations of the Lagoon 400. A clamp and some glue could be used to rectify if it bothers...

In which configuration there is no doorway bulkhead to aft cabin/s? I have seen 4/3/2 cabins configurations - all have aft cabins and bulkheads at the entrance, (with or without a door).
The bulkhead gives some athwartships rigidity to the hull. However, as far as I can judge from the picture, the movement was slight. What needs to be done is to be sure, is to look at the hull in the area from inside and check for stress cracks. If no cracks present then all is fine.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 14:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
In which configuration there is no doorway bulkhead to aft cabin/s?
The 4 cabin version has 440mm rear doorways that abut a fore-aft wall (also non-structural) which is the inner side of the heads compartment. The owners version have no doorway, just a 860mm opening instead.

I agree that any gaps or cracks should be investigated but make two points; Lagoon design allows for a variety of internal configurations, some of which use non- structural "walls" which must be able to move slightly as the hulls flex. Secondly, Diverdown516 should not be distracted by "cosmetic" flaws and possibly miss less visible but much more important issues.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:01   #8

I have surveyed a larger Lagoon catamaran and noted that bulkheads were joined to the hull with a very hard compound and not overlaid with a grp cloth to spread the load. In some places the compound had cracked (see photo below). Lagoon did not accept liability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190063.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	159273  
Rumbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:11   #9

Thank you all for the information. I will pay close attention to the survey results. I'll contact Lagoon if I find something.
diverdown516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lagoon, lagoon 400