Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 13:33   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
VentureFarther - Navigation for Cruisers

Hi all, over the last 4 years during our circumnavigation I have been developing the cruising website https://www.venturefarther.com that
  • Allows you to simply and quickly generate satellite charts (Google, Bing and Nokia) that is 100% browser based. No software to install! If you can use Google Maps, you can create a chart. Over 100,000 charts created so far.
  • Satellite chart creation integrated with SEAiq, the absolute easiest way to get satellite charts.
  • Share anchorage, routes, marinas, dive sites and more
  • Automatically generate eBook off the shared information for times when you are without internet. These eBooks include satellite imagery for each marker. Readable on your iPad/Android devices.
  • Position reporting with automated emails when you submit a report. You can either email or create these reports online, edit them and add pictures.
  • Tidal predictions for anywhere in the world.
  • Easy marker GPX download for loading into your charting software
  • Upload a share NMEA depth recordings recorded using the VDR plugin for OpenCPN (these depths can even be over-layed on the satellite charts)
Site development is ongoing with new features and enhancements in the works. The site has almost 1300 registered users and is growing each day. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 03:25   #2

Boat: Tashiba 40
Re: VentureFarther - Navigation for Cruisers

Hi all, thought you might want to see and example of user shared depth recording using the VDR OpenCPN plugin

Here is the CM93 chart and then the KAP file generated with the VDR recording overlayed. If you use OpenCPN and have your depth sounder integrated you can share depths with a few simple clicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VentureFartherCM93.png
Views:	143
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	152584   Click image for larger version

Name:	VentureFartherNMEADepths.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	152585  

jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 11:05   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've found Venturefarther quite easy and useful, particularly with the Opencpn plugin vfkaps_pi, and using the kap files as overlays in Opencpn. The chart buttons and other chart tools are useful to manage and view the VF generated inages. There are a lot of excellent featured in VF!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 09:04   #4

Is VentureFarther supposed to work in OpenCPN 5.8.2 (Windows 11)? I tried installing and can't see any icon, widget, or other way to "start" it. And I don't see any separate Windows program. A number of the links here are dead, too. I know it's been quite a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonturgeon View Post
Hi all, over the last 4 years during our circumnavigation I have been developing the cruising website https://www.venturefarther.com that
  • Allows you to simply and quickly generate satellite charts (Google, Bing and Nokia) that is 100% browser based. No software to install! If you can use Google Maps, you can create a chart. Over 100,000 charts created so far.
  • Satellite chart creation integrated with SEAiq, the absolute easiest way to get satellite charts.
  • Share anchorage, routes, marinas, dive sites and more
  • Automatically generate eBook off the shared information for times when you are without internet. These eBooks include satellite imagery for each marker. Readable on your iPad/Android devices.
  • Position reporting with automated emails when you submit a report. You can either email or create these reports online, edit them and add pictures.
  • Tidal predictions for anywhere in the world.
  • Easy marker GPX download for loading into your charting software
  • Upload a share NMEA depth recordings recorded using the VDR plugin for OpenCPN (these depths can even be over-layed on the satellite charts)
Site development is ongoing with new features and enhancements in the works. The site has almost 1300 registered users and is growing each day. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, navigation