Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 20:44   #1

Currently in Colombia. Final Destination Australia

We are a couple (of 9 years) from Australia aged 26yrs and 27yrs old.
I have seen several posts warning of accepting crew couples and we have come across this time and time again in workplaces, staff accom, travel etc. Every time we have proved the theory wrong. Over the last 5 years, we have lived and worked in the same kitchen/office/dive centre/hotel etc within Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Thailand and Canada. In remote staff living, many times we have spent 24hrs a day with staff members and each other and only ever having good responses from our employees and collegues. I was actually offered a job once in a restaurant in New Zealand without applying because when Hayleys reference was called from a hotel in Japan, they were told that its worth getting the two of us as one package. I don't want to rant. I just can't stress enough that there are couples out there that can benefit more than if both were single. I believe we are one of those couples.

About us.
I work as a sail maker and yacht rigger on marinas from Gold Coast to Bundaberg with Colin Quin Sailmakers and Riggers in Australia and Hayley is a Dental Assistant. We both have cooking experience in both catering and restaurants in several places and both were certified as dive masters when working in Thailand. Previous to our current adventure, we also bought a unit and challenged ourselves with a complete renovation of the property. Designing and renovating ourselves. Something we had never done before. A link to before and after video is below.
https://youtu.be/lnBHNNsvvc4
We are fun and adventurous but considerate and respectful. We love meeting new people and learning through their eyes. This is the reason we travel.
I spend every day at work replacing rigging or repairing sails and have a good knowledge of how it all functions but up until now, neither of us have sailing experience. We are both very keen to learn as much as possible and to get some sea miles started. To learn something new, open doors to new travel options and to improve my abilities at work.

Where we are now.
We are currently travelling through South America in a self-converted 4x4 camper. We started in Santiago, Chile and have spent 7months driving north through Northern Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil and are now on the Carribean Coast of Colombia in Tanganga, near Santa Marta.
We would love to crew to anywhere from the Colombian Coast within the Carribean to get some time on the water.
Once we finish up north we will drive a direct route back to Chile to sell the vehicle and will return to Australia. We would love to sail on the Pacific also and can fly to wherever is needed for part or all of the trip across if this became a posibility.

Although we have worked amongst boats in a couple different businesses, this is a new area for us and we are excited to discover and learn. We are both young but have lived several different lives in our short time and have decided for us, if life is not used for discovering and learning, its not being used to its full potential.

If you have any space and would like two reliable, resourceful crew members somewhere in the Caribbean or Pacific, please drop us a line.
dannywright89@gmail.com
Danny Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Colombia, current, destination