Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 14:21   #1

What to see in the Virgin Islands?

All,

We are in St Thomas for the next three months on our 50' trawler. We will have breaks of 3 days to one week and would like to do a little island hopping in those breaks. We've heard great things about so many of the islands that it is hard to narrow down what to do. We are early thirties, active, and more into hiking, snorkeling, and fishing than dinners out. What destinations would you recommend and why?

Thank you!

Tristan and Martina
M/V Sea Triscuit
BayouGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 14:39   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: What to see in the Virgin Islands?

I owned a boat in the BVIs for several years and also enjoyed some of the more out of the way places to night life. Snorkeling on the wreck of the Rhone. Savannah Bay (Virgin Gorda) has some nice, less touristy snorkeling options. Whenever I anchored in Bails Ground Bay on Great Camanoe, I almost always had it to myself. Lots of fish roam the bay, wild goats on the hill side and a very nice sea cave on the point south of that bay made it a nice stop. It's all coral in the middle, but sneak back into the corners and it's sand.

Anchoring behind Sandy Spit Cay is another favorite spot. Good snorkeling, and a nice sandy beach. For something different snorkel the ocean side of Little Jost Van Dyke. For a slightly touristy stop I like Cane Garden Bay. You can anchor behind all the moored boats and enjoy the sunset without the other boats in your view. I've also enjoyed the trip to the Spanish Virgins.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 15:22   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Go out and explore on your own.
Suprises and discovery are just as good as getting canned advise on the internet.
I was a liveaboard down there 32 years ago and explored based on wind, weather and paper charts. Found like minded folks in Coral Bay and other spots.
Probably a good idea to bypass anchorages infested with charter catamarans and loud music.
Old 13-03-2017, 16:06   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Anegada Can hike the beaches or the interior. Lots of fishing and snorkeling opportunities.

Haven't been since I was a child but heard great things about St. Croix lately.

Haven't been but on my bucket list is Culebra and Vieques.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 16:31   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

St John for your interests.

https://www.nps.gov/viis/planyourvis...nformation.htm

Get a copy of Feet Fins and Four Wheel Drive

https://www.amazon.com/John-Feet-Fin.../dp/0963106090
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:38   #6

Boat: Moody 54

Anegada is my favorite. Take a taxi for the afternoon on the far side at Loblolly Bay to enjoy the spectacular beach and dinner at any of the lobster restaurants by the harbor.
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:03   #7

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

If you like hiking, go to St John. Reef Bay hike, Reef to Lameshur hike, or for a really off-the-beaten track day, hike Fish Bay Gut up to the freshwater pond. Some real rock scrambling, but cool hike. For snorkeling on St John, go to Salt Pond Bay or Haulover (north or south side). If you are a diver, pick up a mooring at French Cap Island, be aware it is a dive spot - too deep for snorkeling. For kids, Salt Pond is good, as is Leinster / Waterlemon Cay.

Be aware of the time-consuming bureaucracy involved in taking a boat from USVI to BVI. Maybe it's gotten better, but 5 years ago it was a real nuisance.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:55   #8
Marine Service Provider

Don't forget to clear in and out of both the USVI and the BVI. Fishing licenses are required in the BVI for every person on the boat even if you are only putting out one line. Cruising permits are also required in the BVI.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:09   #9

Shop for food in the US Virgin Islands and then head out for the BVI. Great anchorages and nice people. You can stay busy every day in the BVI going to some place new. Enjoy.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:07   #10

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Anegada Can hike the beaches or the interior. Lots of fishing and snorkeling opportunities.

Haven't been since I was a child but heard great things about St. Croix lately.

Haven't been but on my bucket list is Culebra and Vieques.
Loblolly Bay at Anegada is wonderful. I snorkelled in the lagoon there and followed large black Rays around for ages - they are like Maritime stealth bombers. We also picked lots of fabulous conch and other shells off the beach.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 14:09   #11

Once we had a taxi driver stop at Big Bamboo where we dropped of our back packs, then drove up to Flash of beauty. We snorkeled with the current to Big Bamboo! Have a snack, a beverage and explore the beach at Flash of beauty, (spread the wealth) enter the water, float with the current along the reef, pop up at Big Bamboo, have lunch and a beverage It's lovely
Old 14-03-2017, 14:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Don't forget to clear in and out of both the USVI and the BVI. Fishing licenses are required in the BVI for every person on the boat even if you are only putting out one line. Cruising permits are also required in the BVI.
Yes, research local laws on fishing, especially if fishing from your boat. I've read they have introduced more restrictions lately in the BVI. Not impossible though.

Hire a guide on Anegada for bone fishing. I believe, but am not positive, shore fishing is easier more acceptable to tourists. For more informed knowledge I'd enquirer here;
Conservation & Fisheries Department - BVI Fishing Licences
The British Virgin Islands | NATURE'S LITTLE SECRETS
BVIPirate.com Site Map
Traveltalkonline: Viewing forum: British Virgin Islands
Old 16-03-2017, 18:24   #13

Thank you, all!
BayouGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:58   #14

If you want to get away from the crowds (and charter crowds in particular) the Spanish Virgins (SVI) might be a worthwhile side trip. Great beaches and people and not nearly as crowded as the BVI/USVI. Sometimes you will get some crowds coming over from the PR mainland in power boats but they typically clear out by late afternoon. If you want to head the other direction, you could just do the typical counterclockwise tour of the BVIs. However, it can be difficult to get away from the crowds and beach bars in the BVIs as most good anchorages have been developed to be accessible for the charter crowd.

FWIW, we've never cleared out of the USVI when on our way to the BVIs. Hasn't presented a problem getting into the BVIs nor returning to the USVIs. However, if you head from the USVI to the SVIs/Puerto Rico you do have to clear customs into the SVIs/Puerto Rico even though both are a US territory. The penalty can be significant if you fail to do so.

Fishing in the BVIs is a challenge. Not only does anyone over 17 who is going to touch a fishing pole need a license, but as of April 2016 the boat needs to be registered as a fishing vessel. Not sure on the process to do so but I wouldn't risk fishing without jumping through their hoops.

Check out the Travel Talk Online (TTOL) board - there are several BVI experts there.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Virgin Islands