Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 12:42   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
What type of silicon sealant do I need?

New boat, came back on weekend after using the previous weekend and found water all over the cabin floor under table. Couldn't figure out where this was coming from until I found a bit by where fridge is.

Figured out that the freezer had melted during the week while being off, and is running out of the door. There is a plexiglass lip with a drain behind it, but clearly it is not a tight seal against the floor and water is leaking out under the plexiglass and then out the fridge. (see pics)

Was thinking, I can just caulk it, but then started thinking, ok, this gets cold and shakes a lot. Home depot has about a billion different caulks, bath and tub seems right, oth, it doesn't get cold in a bathroom. Outside window caulk? My house doesn't vibrate. Maybe there is even a special sealant for plexiglass joints? I would think there is someone who had this problem before me, so checking the collective wisdom of CF. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161113_121202.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	137163   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161113_121213.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	137164  

jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:45   #2

Re: What type of silicon sealant do I need?

GE Silicone 2 windows and doors
Old 29-11-2016, 12:46   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Issue is the adjacent drain is plugged.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 12:51   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Issue is the adjacent drain is plugged.

Looks to me like the drain stands proud of the surface, so without a proper seal on the plexi the water will drain out of the box instead of into the drain.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 13:30   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Boat Life, Life Seal

My Vote would be for Boat Life, Life Seal clear.

A unique combination of marine silicone and polyurethane, formulated especially for fiberglass. LifeSeal offers a fast-curing, low odor, high adhesion, non-sagging, non-corrosive, non-yellowing formula. It provides a durable permanent watertight seal for joints subject to structural movement. May be used above and below the waterline. Use for sealing decks to hulls, thru-hull fittings, vinyl ports, sealing/glazing windshields and bedding marine hardware. Will adhere to metal, glass, wood, Lexan, ABS and certain other materials. Can be removed without damaging gel-coat. Not recommended for ferro cement hulls, impregnated wood or oil-soaked materials. Cures in presence of water. Mildew resistant and acid free.

We always have a tube of this aboard in clear and white
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Life Life Seal.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	137169  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 13:42   #6

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Boat Life, Life Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
My Vote would be for Boat Life, Life Seal clear.

A unique combination of marine silicone and polyurethane, formulated especially for fiberglass. LifeSeal offers a fast-curing, low odor, high adhesion, non-sagging, non-corrosive, non-yellowing formula. It provides a durable permanent watertight seal for joints subject to structural movement. May be used above and below the waterline. Use for sealing decks to hulls, thru-hull fittings, vinyl ports, sealing/glazing windshields and bedding marine hardware. Will adhere to metal, glass, wood, Lexan, ABS and certain other materials. Can be removed without damaging gel-coat. Not recommended for ferro cement hulls, impregnated wood or oil-soaked materials. Cures in presence of water. Mildew resistant and acid free.

We always have a tube of this aboard in clear and white
OK, although this stuff doesn't slice/dice/or cut prices, but I will get a tube of it for sure, great to know about. Sounds like enough of this will save you when you have a leak and are sinking Might be a bit of overkill for this simple job though, maybe the regular GE suggestion is enough...Thanks to all who replied.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 13:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Adhesive or sealant or both? I find that the best solutions are to treat these functions separately. I would adhere the piece in place with some small pieces of 3M VHB adhesive tape and I would then seal the joint with a bead of Dow Corning 791 sealant. These would be the best by my experience, but some of the dual function adhesives and sealants listed above would likely suffice.

I would not leave the drain open, as it can be a source of loosing your cool air. If you do leave the drain open, it's best to have an "S" shaped trap in the drain hose. Water sitting in this trap will block the loss of cold air.
Old 29-11-2016, 14:07   #8

For a temp. closure of the fridge drain (to keep the warm air out) wine cork works the best.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:56   #9

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Make it a practice to not use Silicone any where. It does not last and will make future efforts at rebidding or sealing ineffective as you can't get the stuff off or anything to stick to it.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:12   #10

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Disagree with Krogen. Silicone lasted 30 years on an old pickup truck windshield. All my portholes are bedded with silicone. Nl leaks
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:29   #11

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

+1 for Dow Corning 791. Used it to put in 3 new hatch plexiglass and worked wonderfully. Comes in all colors as well. You can't beat a product used to hold in windows on sky scrapers. Not expensive either @ $7 tube.
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:33   #12

The drain is plugged. They often are. That drain appears recessed to me...? You may be able to unplug it with a flexible small piece of hose etc. Or just use a garden hose and water pressure.
Silicone would be fine for that. Pretty much anything you want I suppose. But caulk may grow algae in there.
Silicone will last forever. I have bowls off the boat from 20 years ago with white silicone on the bottom to make them non slip. It's still there and still flexible unlike some caulks.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:57   #13

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Good call Cheechako, I use a long zip tie or compressed air from the air compressor to blow out clogged drains/thru hulls.
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm with Cheechako also. Clear the drain.
I'm a big fan of Life Seal, but I think any common silicone sealant would work in this application.
Old 30-11-2016, 13:02   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The usual standard around here is DuPont 5200, usually in the 24 hour cure version. By the way, you can freeze a partial tube and it will still be usable a year later. If you are buying silicone sealant at Big Box, note the years it is claimed to last - that is a measure of how little water it has in it, and as a result, how little it shrinks, and indeed how long it will last.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant