Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00   #1

Buying a boat in Turkey

I'm an Australian and wish to buy a used boat in Turkey for about $450,000 aud. Could somebody kindly advise as to any pitfalls I may encounter. The boat is American flagged, however the dealer doesn't seem too motivated, perhaps it may be due to a language issue, don't know, but I don't like the idea of handing over a wad of cash to a guy in Turkey for a boat that may not exist.
Instead of me flying to Turkey for the first look, I would engage an englspeaking surveyor to have a look at the boat and confirm it is as described on Yachtmarket.
Engage an english speaking lawyer to check the title of the boat.
If everything is good i would fly to Turkey and beginto barter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:38   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Buying a boat in Turkey

I highly recommend you do not ever buy a boat sight unseen.

Survey is normally only done after you have agreed on a price. If you have already paid your $1,000 you wont be able to negotiate down the 10% meat on the sandwich...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:57   #3

Boat: Mustang 3200 LE

I asked a similar question a few months ago.. Your risk profile might be higher then mine, but I abandoned the thought of buying boat unseen.
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Im also considering buying in Europe next year. Personally I will be flying there and living as cheaply as possible in order to look at as many boats as possible. I believe the travel expenses will be more than made up for by making the right purchasing decision that will only come from being there. No one including a surveyor cares as much as you.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:40   #5

I have no intention of buying the boat unseen. The surveyor is to have a first look to report on the general condition of the boat, if he reports that it is worth a look, i'll fly over. Last year i flew to martinique from australia ($4200) to look at a boat that was described as "excellent condition" only to find that description was the brokers creative interpretation of what the boat was like.
I am looking for advice as to the best way to buy a boat in a foreign country, what safeguards can i put in place before going over.
No point in using a lawyer in australia, if i use a lawyer in turkey, he could have "sticky fingers". If there is one thing worse than a salesman, it's a lawyer.

Frank
frankie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:52   #6

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran

Hi Fank, we bought a Bahia last year in Turkey through the broker Sunbird in Marmaris. Peter, in the brokerage arranged for us to view the boat twice before we had the boat lifted in Yat Marine for the survey.

There are several good english speaking surveyors in the Marmaris / Gocek area whom I believe would be happy to peform an initial inspection, before you went to the expense of flying there.
Tony
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34   #7

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

BE VERY CAREFUL
First make sure that the seller is legit owner or he has legit authorization
By NO MEANS send any money upfront
DO NOT APPOINT TURK SURVEYOR I lost money when the surveyor went to bed with the " seller" They tried to sell me someone's else boat
Get a Greek surveyor or yachtsman to have a look.
It may cost you a bit extra for travel expenses but will save you tones of trouble
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:35   #8

I am in the process of buying a yacht in the Med. If I find one on my own I will not put down any money until I have seen it myself.
I will certainly use one of the established brokers whether I find the yacht, or it is on their books, as I need to be assured that my money will be safe in an escrew account. I prefer to use the facilities of a broker with reputation like Williams & Smithells, Ancastra etc. Others in this forum will give recommendations as well.
Same applies to surveyors. Recommendation of a surveyor who knows your type of yacht is the key to success.
Thus using recommended brokers with knowledge about financing and regulations, and a recommended surveyo,r should give me confidence in both the yacht and the legal aspects of having my money in a foreign country.
Best of luck with your quest.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I know very well personally Peter from Sunbird that Catnut has mentioned. He's a very knowledgeable and honest guy but he's a broker not surveyor. If you want and PM me, I can give you the mail of a english surveyor that we dealth with in the past. He's living in Bodrum but travels anywhere you like.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:50   #10

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Hi
When I bought my boat in Turkey ( English flagged) I also had a very professional surveyor from Bodrum. He is English and I was glad to have his support. I can give you his data if you want (PM)
Best luck for your project
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL
First make sure that the seller is legit owner or he has legit authorization
By NO MEANS send any money upfront
DO NOT APPOINT TURK SURVEYOR I lost money when the surveyor went to bed with the " seller" They tried to sell me someone's else boat
Get a Greek surveyor or yachtsman to have a look.
It may cost you a bit extra for travel expenses but will save you tones of trouble
Get a Greek surveyor?!!! You've got to be kidding! Greeks are the original ripoff artists! I've never seen so many scams in my life as in Greece whereas the Turkish people are very upfront and honest. With that said, I'd still tread carefully. But NEVER use a Greek for anything!
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:09   #12

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

No point in using a lawyer in australia, if i use a lawyer in turkey, he could have "sticky fingers". If there is one thing worse than a salesman, it's a lawyer.

Frank[/QUOTE]

No, worse is two salesmen and a lawyer!!! Especially in a country like Turkey.
Watch your six..................

Ted VA7YQQ
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19   #13

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Someone has already said that you need to put down some sort of deposit before you do a formal survey which involves a sea trial and a haulout. This is probably customary. But I see no reason why you cannot get a preliminary inspection by a surveyor or other experienced person acting as your agent to do the "window shopping" and who would then advise you to travel over for formal negotiations and survey if they think the boat is worth going to that stage.
If you then agree on a price and proceed to a full survey that is when you travel to the boat. Most surveyors should welcome you to accompany them during the survey. I bought my boat in Phuket and the surveyor insisted i be there when he did his survey and sea trial. It was a great experience and I learnt heaps about the boat.
As to the legalities I think it is unfair to stereotype Greeks or Turks. Whoever you choose you should ask for referees .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-08-2016, 09:47   #14

I'll chip in as well.

When I bought my boat 6 years ago I had a Turkish based English surveyor come over to Greece for my boat. In the years since I've had no surprises of problems that should have been picked up in the survey.

Joe Rowles Internationally accredited marine surveyor operating throughout the Eastern Mediterranean

If I was buying a sight unseen yacht, I'd arrange for the surveyor to do and appraisal survey. If it comes out ok, then proceed with the process and perhaps arrange for the detailed survey when you are in Turkey
Old 11-08-2016, 09:56   #15

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Joe Rowles was also my surveyor.
I don't think stereotypes do add any value to the post.
Fred
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Turkey