Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 11:28   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Experienced Sailor to Assist Novice

Greetings,

I am purchasing a Pearson 30 in the next few weeks and am
looking for someone to help sail her from Bay City, Saginaw Bay area
to Toledo.

I have one crew member (my age (65) and also retired who has some sailing experience.

The boat has been well maintained (includes Atomic 4, dodger, wheel steering, all safety equipment), has enclosed head, sleeps 4, small galley.

The trip south will take about 4-5 days. I will cover transient slip fees and help on your return trip via rental car, etc.

If you are up for a bit of adventure and perhaps imparting your sailing knowledge to enthusiastic learner, please reply.
Old 21-03-2016, 12:16   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Experienced Sailor to Assist Novice

Sailon1...in a couple weeks it sounds like it will be a cold ride from hell on Lake Huron!!!!
Old 21-03-2016, 13:16   #3

If you aren't happy with the weather in northern Michigan, try one of the cruises that sail out of the Port of Miami everyday-I'm sure that they can accommodate you.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:16   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

It is not a big boat, may be it is easier to truck it, save time and less worries. I would get a few quotes and make your decision.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:19   #5

Thanks for the reply. I hope to gain some experience, move the boat, and have a bit of adventure.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I hope to gain some experience, move the boat, and have a bit of adventure.
Hey... there is nothing wrong with that. No one know you better than you know yourself. The decision you made is always correct. Have fun !!!
Old 21-03-2016, 13:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
If you aren't happy with the weather in northern Michigan, try one of the cruises that sail out of the Port of Miami everyday-I'm sure that they can accommodate you.
As of today the surface water temperature on Saginaw Bay and lower Lake Huron is 36 deg F. With gusty spring weather you can expect 36 deg F spray over the cockpit. My guess is air temp in two weeks will be 40 to 45 deg F max but most likely colder.

It is difficult to maintain body heat under these conditions even with lots of cold weather clothing. The wind and the damp on the water conspire to suck the heat out of you. Six years ago we quit a race on Superior and hauled a crew member to the hospital with hypotherma in milder conditions than you will encounter.

If you get into any kind of weather where you get heavy spray or green water over the cabin it could turn into cold weather survival tactics.

The coldest I have ever been was a July 4th crossing from the Keweenaw Peninsula to Isle Royale. Had on all my winter ski clothing and still could not get warm.

My point is, with the above and the earlier post, be prepared as it can get miserable. You may get that bit of adventure you desire.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:47   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-03-2016, 14:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
People on this forum turn into ******** when they see a Crew Wanted post.

Why don't you just leave the guy alone?

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

MarkJ, a self admitted inexperienced sailor heading out on Lake Huron in April needs a heads up so he can make an informed decision, effect adequate planning, and avoid misery.

It's probably difficult to understand from your view in the Caribbean. From my view I am looking at three feet of snow and ice on the waterways. Why ask for trouble on the first passage in a newly acquired boat.
Old 21-03-2016, 14:08   #10

I'm a younger guy (24) in Grosse Pointe, MI. No overnight trips yet. Just bought a boat last fall and would be interested in joining. PM me if interested.
Old 21-03-2016, 14:20   #11

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

I would agree with Lake Superior. The trip would be great from a learning experience if you were talking May 1 or later. It will still be damn cold day and night as 3-5 miles off shore the air temp is the water temp which will be in the low 40's. Also, you should check marinas that you plan to stop as many of them do not open up until mid April to May...because it is cold and there is no business.
I sail Northern Lake Michigan, and in May we sail with snowmobile suits on to keep somewhat warm. Taking a new to you boat, no matter how well it has been maintained, on it's maiden voyage in that weather can be tough. Get good towing insurance before you leave as it is cheap, and if needed saves you a lot of money.

If you go this early let us know how you do. Good luck!
Old 21-03-2016, 14:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
Taking a new to you boat, no matter how well it has been maintained, on it's maiden voyage in that weather can be tough. !
x10. I don't put too much teeth on the claim of "well maintained" boat from a new sailor and new owner. Likewise, anyone calls himself a captain after he bought a boat....LOL. It does not mean much. Actually the boat is listed on YW.

On CF or anywhere on internet, you just cant tell people the truth. We must tell people what they want to hear.

Do you know that most of sailing mishaps happened to the new owner in their maiden voyage? Been there, done that!!! I just stay out of their way.
Old 21-03-2016, 19:03   #13

I am 66 and have ASA 101, 103, 104, 105, 118 certifications. If you are going at the beginning of May I may be interested. My email is hfkgjk@epix.net.
Old 22-03-2016, 07:32   #14

Boat: Contest 50CS

I have experience sailing on a Person in RI, I would be happy to assist you to bring the boat to its new home. I have owned my own ODay 27 for 10 yrs in RI and would live to sail on fresh water for a change.
Old 22-03-2016, 08:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

Congratulations! You are a 65 year old gentleman who may be buying a 38 year old boat sailboat with a gas engine and you want a stranger to come along for free. Already someone who has worked and devoted time and money (yes the $$$) to get ASA certifications has volunteered to help--and why? He should be telling you to get those same certifications. Yep--the good old Atomic 4--great engines, but a 38 year old gas engine (listing shows no engine room photos)? While you say it has been well maintained, I am always skeptical, based on a lot of experience. The boat is listed for all of $9800--which considering its age and a gas engine--seems high to me.(oops I am giving you free advice) So you are looking for a stranger you may find online to help you out--and for free of course on a boat trip--on a newly purchased boat--and in cold water. You will cover slip fees ( uhh..insert sarcastic comment here) and you say you will "help" with transportation expenses, but let's get serious. So I'd like to know, how did you earn a living and save enough to presumably retire and buy a boat? Did you do this by working for free and using your skills and experience and knowledge to help strangers or did you work and get paid for what you know and do? There is nothing wrong with volunteering of course--to those who are in need. Many of us have volunteered to help others but this is different--very different because a boat is an expensive toy, a luxury, so all you are offering is covering slip fees and to "help" with transportation? It is a recipe for trouble, if not something more serious. You wrote "If you are up for a bit of adventure and perhaps imparting your sailing knowledge to enthusiastic learner, please reply." Well, why not have an adventure on our own boat instead of your boat? Why not a newer boat? A boat with our friends? Why with you and a 38 year old gas engine? Worst of all--the OP has not even bought the boat, and again, from experience, all kinds of things can go wrong and abort the purchase process. I wonder if he is concerned that if it costs a lot to move the boat that perhaps he cannot afford it? Sure we all like to help other sailors but this is being penny wise and pound foolish. The OP wants something for nothing and that is usually worth nothing. There is only one thing that is free with sailing--the wind and the water. But to use them properly and safely requires at least some money and expertise--or one invites anything from mild inconvenience to serious danger. One must wonder why the profession of teaching and paying for seasoned advice is so highly valued in some areas but absolutely neglected in others--as shown here. So who is up to teach this gentleman how to operate his old boat with a gas engine (that he might be buying) in exchange for some "help" with transportation costs? Perhaps if one has this free time available, it might be better used being donated to those who are really in need of assistance. Sure, go ahead and impart your knowledge and skills based on what you have done so this stranger can receive complete benefit from it--all for "help" with transportation..and a bit of adventure. A lot of adventure I would say. My advice--hire a professional and pay for real training. As the bumper stickers say, "If you can read this, thank a teacher " or "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Wait until you see what boat ownership costs--sometimes easy to purchase, but not to easy to own. PLEASE--be safe and hire a pro. Do it right. Learn it right and anyone who encourages you is inviting inexperienced sailors out on the water to inconvenience or endanger us who have taken the effort to learn properly so we can be safe and not endanger others. Would you buy SCUBA gear or a plan and a parachute and go diving or skydiving by advertising online for a stranger to share your adventure?

Tags
enc, novice, sail