Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2007, 11:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Hello from Slovenia

Hi everyone.

The 423 in my name indicate my boat - the Beneteau Oceanis 423.
She has to work for few more years in charter before she is mine full time, but that is life.

I am located in Slovenia, a beautiful country between Italy, Austria and Adriatic sea.
My sailing grounds is primary Adriatic sea plus few weeks per year of Caribbean and Balearic and ...
I started "sailing" as a windsurfer (earning some money as instructor) and I have spend a lot of hours on my brother's Laser dinghy.

Now i sail on a bit larger boats - mostly in the 40-something feet size and I always say: Bad day sailing beats good day at work.
Tomaz473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:02   #2

Learning on lasers and windsurfing will help your sailing skill big time. A lot of people have never mastered the little boats, and it shows in their sail trim over rudder-ing. You're off to a great start!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:21   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz423 View Post
I am located in Slovenia, a beautiful country between Italy, Austria and Adriatic sea.
~ ~ ~

Now i sail on a bit larger boats - mostly in the 40-something feet size and I always say: Bad day sailing beats good day at work.
Welcome to the Forum, Tomaz. It's great to have you here.

I couldn't agree more with your description of Slovenia. It is, indeed, a very beautiful country.

I'm in complete agreement, as well, with your observation that "A bad day sailing beats a good day at work."

Again, welcome to the Forum.

TaoJones
Old 15-10-2007, 12:27   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Learning on lasers and windsurfing will help your sailing skill big time. A lot of people have never mastered the little boats, and it shows in their sail trim over rudder-ing. You're off to a great start!
I could hardly call it a start - now after about 7 years of regular chartering and spending practically all my vacations and lots of weekends on sailboats (mostly as a skipper), but when my boat is out of charter - that will be a big start - all the maintenance and upgrades and preparing the boat for some longer sailing (I plan to cast off for some time in 3 years).

And I agree - you are more than right - knowing little boats heps big time in sail trim and understanding the whole concept. Small boats are very responsive and punish every mistake very fast making you a better sailor.
On the downside of my previous experience: Windsurf and Laser both have main sail only. It took me quite a bit of practice reading and learning from others to understand the correlation and impact of foresail and mainsail trim to boat handling, speed, pointing ability and amount of weather helm.
Do I know it all? No way. I need at least 50 years of practice to even know how much more I need to learn.
Tomaz473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 12:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz423 View Post
Windsurf and Laser both have main sail only. It took me quite a bit of practice reading and learning from others to understand the correlation and impact of foresail and mainsail trim to boat handling, speed, pointing ability and amount of weather helm.
Even just the fact that you're able to understand how the sails interact with eachother is huge; the majority of big boat sailors I know just put the sails up, understand basic sail mechanics, and focus on their chart plotter.

My dad used to say that he could teach someone how to sail in a weekend, and they'd be good 50 years later if they kept practicing. Nothing better than time on the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 16:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Agreed. I started off in an El Toro, a Sunfish and then a Laser. There is nothing like a small boat to give you instantaneous feedback on what you are doing right or wrong.

Welcome to the forum Tomaz!
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 18:52   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tomaz,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. This is a great place to ask questions and make comments. I hope you enjoy it.
I too think that small boats are the way to learn sail trim. Instantaneous feedback in the way of a dunking or not moving is a good teacher. I don't mind being wet here in Hawaii.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 07:29   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome also Tomaz,
Glad you've found the site and hoping you find it useful.
Cheers
JOHN

Tags
Slovenia