Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 23:19   #1

Oceanis Beneteau 54

any advice on this boat appreciated? are they practical to live on board? how do they sail? Its got dock n go and 120 hp motor so shd be easier to berth.....
fredjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:03   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Oceanis beneteau 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjones1 View Post
any advice on this boat appreciated? are they practical to live on board? how do they sail? Its got dock n go and 120 hp motor so shd be easier to berth.....
How many people sailing? How much experience? Where are you going to sail?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 08:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Fred,

Welcome to the forum. You should start by introducing yourself - your sailing experience, etc. The 54 is a nice boat - big, expensive, and lots of boat for a new sailor, or the right size for a large family of experienced sailors. It all depends on what you are after.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 03:50   #4

Hi

I'm a mid life returnee to sailing... sailed alot when I was younger... I'm planning to live aboard permanently and have a wife and three children who will visit and live on the boat during holidays etc... I won't be cruising everyday but expect I will take off on long weekends, etc... and school holidays to exotic destinations outside of singapore...

Cheers
fredjones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:37   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Oceanis Beneteau 54

I looked into the Beneteau 54 as well as the Jeanneau 54DS and, in the end, opted to get the Jeanneau 57.
I'm often alone aboard and sometimes when I approach the dock with trepidation I think how nice it might have been to get a model with the 360 docking system; but they are still somewhat error-prone and don't seem to be engineerd to fail in a "safe" mode. Apart from that feature, the Beneteau 54 is a nicely built and solid boat that has lots of room and sufficient weight to be comfortable and long enough length on the waterline to be a fast passagemaker.
Big boats are a bit of a handful at first, but an absolute pleasure with all that extra space!
Old 24-12-2012, 05:22   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I looked into the Beneteau 54 as well as the Jeanneau 54DS and, in the end, opted to get the Jeanneau 57.
I remember you doing so!

Zanshin single hands his Jeanneau, and i know i could single hand the Beneteau 54 so thats not a problem. And fun learning!

Thou they are made by the same company there are differences in the Jeanneau and the Beneteau, so as advised, have a look at both.

That J 57 is really a great boat!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:51   #7

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjones1 View Post
Hi

I'm a mid life returnee to sailing... sailed alot when I was younger... I'm planning to live aboard permanently and have a wife and three children who will visit and live on the boat during holidays etc... I won't be cruising everyday but expect I will take off on long weekends, etc... and school holidays to exotic destinations outside of singapore...

Cheers
What is your budget?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:52   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi Fred,

I also have a Beneteau Oceanis 54 although mine's in the Med. I spend summers on her (3-4 months at a stretch cruising with up to 5 friends) and have found it to be a fantastic boat. I don't have many complaints but there is a bit of a lack of storage space, especially in the galley. Seems crazy to complain about the lack of space on a 54' boat but to maximise on the interior space they've pushed the lockers right to the edge and minimised their size somewhat. I was on the boat 2 weeks ago (she's currently in a marina in Northern Cyprus) and removed the dishwasher to reclaim some more galley space. (By way of explanation, the boat I bought was the actual one at the 2011 Dusseldorf Boat Show so I got it with whatever was already installed including the dishwasher which I'd never have chosen and never used in 2 seasons sailing).

I chose a dropping mainsail with lazy bag but regret this a bit after having 6 years of flawless in-mast furling aboard my previous Bavaria 49. I decided to go down the "purist route" and get a proper mainsail but sailing single-handed (as I do 2-3 weeks a summer) it's certainly more of a handful than the furling mains - not sure what the boat you're looking at's got? Either is ok.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions or we can talk on the phone if that's easier. I know another 3 people with Beneteau 54's and they all love them and are very happy with their purchases (2 in Med, 1 in New Zealand).

That all said, I was on the Jenneau 57 at the boat show this year and really loved it - given the choice I think it'd be hard to turn down a swap!

The other boat that impressed me this year was the new Hanse 55 - nice boat!

Rgds,
Phil
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01   #9

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Hi Fred

Are you located in Singapore ?

A friend recently bought a Jeanneau 54 DS second hand in Phuket

Quite a nice boat. I would go with Jeanneau over the Benneteau if they are your only two choices

There are of course lots of other great boats around that length to choose from

Carlisle Spirit
Singapore
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 06:11   #10

If considering buying this particular model, is there something to look out specifically?
How would you rate this boat? I have my eye on a 2009 model, fully optioned... What are his (her?) weaknesses, strong points?

How does the Oceanis 54 compare to the other models? Feedback much appreciated!!
eugene presley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis