Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 16:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Bow thruster batteries on Beneteau oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Interesting. I hv a Jeanneau 43ds which has a bow-thruster with its own batteries alongside the thruster and I suspect is very similar to the Oceanis. What is surprising is that both the 3 X 110 Ah service batteries and the 1 X 110 Ah engine battery were replaced after 8 years but the two smaller bow-thruster batteries are still going strong and are now 12 yr old.
You have very good battery longevity genes. Those are extraordinary life spans. What type and make of batteries are they?
All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 17:59   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

My new Oceanis runs the thruster off two batteries located next to it in the bow, however the windlass is wired all the way back to the house bank. I was very surprised to see that's how Beneteau does it, rather than use the bow batteries for both the windlass and thruster. I'm curious about the logic behind that one!
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 18:44   #18

Boat: Catalina 385

Our new Catalina 385 has a bow thruster (I am somewhat embarrassed to say).....and it is powered off of the main battery bank, which seems to be more than adequate. Only time I have ever had to use it was showing off and being obnoxious.
Catalina used 2 gauge for the cable run, about 15 feet.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

StevelnMD: yes I agree it would hv been logical to power the windlass from the bow thruster batteries but I think the reason is that the basic spec for the boat includes the windlass. The bow thruster is an option so the basic spec must allow for the possibility of there being no bow thruster ( with its associated batteries). I have exactly the same set up on my Jeanne a 43ds. My Windlass is powered from the engine battery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-08-2016, 02:03   #20

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
My new Oceanis runs the thruster off two batteries located next to it in the bow, however the windlass is wired all the way back to the house bank. I was very surprised to see that's how Beneteau does it, rather than use the bow batteries for both the windlass and thruster. I'm curious about the logic behind that one!
The current draw will be 4 or 5 times the amperage for the bowthruster compared to the windlass and the bean counters will have worked out the batteries are cheaper than cable.

I'll bet it would be economical to bump up the windlass cable a little and drive the bow thruster off it too, but they won't do that at the factory because they build on a production line and just add a bowthruster to the standard windlass equipped boat. They are not flexible in production. 24v wiring will make it much cheaper to do if you are lucky to have it than 12v.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 16:25   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

john,
the bow thruster batteries are 2 x 50 Ah Optima. model 34R, (Hem | OPTIMABATTERIES) "Made in USA". Previous owner told me he never changed them and believed they are the original installation from 12 years ago. Still work fine.the bow thruster is also original and the label says "Super Power series 100 - 12V, Max Power-F06210 Cannes Mandelieu "

Sorry, i guess that means that Jeanneau was not using Vetus in 2004.
Andrew
Old 13-08-2016, 08:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
john,
the bow thruster batteries are 2 x 50 Ah Optima. model 34R, (Hem | OPTIMABATTERIES) "Made in USA". Previous owner told me he never changed them and believed they are the original installation from 12 years ago. Still work fine.the bow thruster is also original and the label says "Super Power series 100 - 12V, Max Power-F06210 Cannes Mandelieu "

Sorry, i guess that means that Jeanneau was not using Vetus in 2004.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, c'est la vie.
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis