Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 18:07   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Dual Citizen in Europe - Length of stay and VAT

I have a European Passport and an Australian Passport, If I bring my non European Registered and Non European VAT Paid Boat into Europe will I get hit with VAT on the boat, due to my European Passport? (I am not a European resident)

Could I bring the boat in on my Australian passport and get 18 months for the boat?

This would only give me 90 days to stay on my Australian Passport though, so could I fly out on my Aussie Passport and then Return on my European Passport for a longer stay?

When before 18 months I move the boat out of Europe could I just leave on my European passport with the boat or would I have to show my Australian passport, which would be marked as left Europe already.

I understand this is not a place to get such legal advice, just checking to see if its feasible before consulting a lawyer to confirm.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:25   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Dual Citizen in Europe - Length of stay and VAT

You are not your passport ... you are you ... once you are in Europe, you are an EU citizen in the EU, regardless of what passport you showed at the border.

I once travelled to the UK using my Canadian passport because my UK passport was being renewed, and the first question they asked on arrival was "where is your UK passport?" ... they know.

For vat, I think it all comes down to your residency status ... you will need to be able to prove that you are an Australian resident ... and that may mean limiting your duration of stay.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:32   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Dual Citizen in Europe - Length of stay and VAT

Pretty sure you if you carry the passport of the place you are entering, you do not have the option of entering using another, you are required to use that one only.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope