Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
[St Kitts] Need marine surveyor or a someone with background in surveying

Hey guys,

I recently came across a boat located in St Kitts. The owner is looking to do a fast sale and I am in need of someone or a surveyor in the area to take a look at the boat.

I am located in Seattle and unfortunately will be buying sight unseen so I will be relying on someone to give feedback on potential problem areas and condition of the vessel. It is located on the hard as well.

Anyone in the area with the background willing to check it out, or have a surveyor that is in the area that can do this quickly? I can do a paypal transfer if it is a private person doing the survey.

Thanks!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:25   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: [St Kitts] Need marine surveyor or a someone with background in surveying

I think your best bet is going to be David Duong at St Martin Surveyors.
He a very nice guy and very knowledgeable. I don't know if he would have the time this time of year to fly to St Kitts and take a look but he would be your best choice if he is willing.
St Martin Marine Surveyors
david@stmartinmarinesurveyor.com Or call us: + 590 690 885 688 or +1 721 588 3936
We’re on Skype: davidpmd
On Instagram: Davidpmd
And on Twitter: @DavidSurveyor
Our mailing address: St Martin Marine Surveyor, Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay, 97150, St Maarten Dutch Antilles
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:42   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I know there is a guy and i can find him next week when I am back. I'll be in the yard to haul out this month, can send you pix if you want.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 18:42   #4

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I think your best bet is going to be David Duong at St Martin Surveyors.
He a very nice guy and very knowledgeable. I don't know if he would have the time this time of year to fly to St Kitts and take a look but he would be your best choice if he is willing.
St Martin Marine Surveyors
david@stmartinmarinesurveyor.com Or call us: + 590 690 885 688 or +1 721 588 3936
We’re on Skype: davidpmd
On Instagram: Davidpmd
And on Twitter: @DavidSurveyor
Our mailing address: St Martin Marine Surveyor, Lagoon Marina, Cole Bay, 97150, St Maarten Dutch Antilles
I appreciate it! I actually had contacted him and he unfotunately is fully booked out for the next few weeks
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:09   #5

namsglobal.org

pick a surveyor from the list all are certified
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 13:34   #6

I'm in the same (but pretty certain not competing) situation as the OP. If anyone knows of a private party in St. Kitts who I could pay to do a walkthrough and take some specific pictures before I take the time to fly down I'd appreciate it.
14murs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 14:22   #7

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I do, PM me
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05   #8

Boat: FP ORANA 44

dennis@dennis.net, managing our boat right now in St Martin.
sailorgirl1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl1954 View Post
dennis@dennis.net, managing our boat right now in St Martin.
Thanks!
Old 19-02-2017, 08:15   #10
h20

Please don't get mad guys but sometimes, (for me) I get and expert diesel man. An expert rigger and an expert glass man. My buddy Stitch looks at the sails. Survey is good for the bulk of things going through a list of 100 dreds of things, but I like to get nitty gritty on the other. Plus when the owner understands what the boat really needs from trusted experts, it helps price negotiation. That's just what I do for me. smile. good luck
PS ask surveyor if he is a diesel mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Hey guys,

I recently came across a boat located in St Kitts. The owner is looking to do a fast sale and I am in need of someone or a surveyor in the area to take a look at the boat.

I am located in Seattle and unfortunately will be buying sight unseen so I will be relying on someone to give feedback on potential problem areas and condition of the vessel. It is located on the hard as well.

Anyone in the area with the background willing to check it out, or have a surveyor that is in the area that can do this quickly? I can do a paypal transfer if it is a private person doing the survey.

Thanks!
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 11:23   #11

Great advice, do you know any of said experts in St. Kitts?
Old 20-02-2017, 09:44   #12
h20

now thats the real question. sorry no. learn how to check for deck rot,
when the shrouds were changed. shrouds depending on size of boat, installed 3 to 8k.
my 35 i did my self for 900. I dont know how old mine were but one side broke, so did them all. Stainless rust on the inside and you cannot see it. I had a brand new "looking" chain plate fail!! There must be advice on how many years for chain plate. To cross the ocean, i did all of them. They are not that much if you do yourself. AND i would rather get a boat with a throw away motor, and do a kubota refit. (6k) Depends on how much time you have and how handy you are. Also i like KEEL stepped mast, protected rudder if possible. Also depends on what water you will be crossing, force of the waves. Bay boats CAN break apart, rarely in heavy seas. All agree? Thanks
Old 20-02-2017, 11:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
now thats the real question. sorry no. learn how to check for deck rot,
when the shrouds were changed. shrouds depending on size of boat, installed 3 to 8k.
my 35 i did my self for 900. I dont know how old mine were but one side broke, so did them all. Stainless rust on the inside and you cannot see it. I had a brand new "looking" chain plate fail!! There must be advice on how many years for chain plate. To cross the ocean, i did all of them. They are not that much if you do yourself. AND i would rather get a boat with a throw away motor, and do a kubota refit. (6k) Depends on how much time you have and how handy you are. Also i like KEEL stepped mast, protected rudder if possible. Also depends on what water you will be crossing, force of the waves. Bay boats CAN break apart, rarely in heavy seas. All agree? Thanks
First, I'm looking at a less than 10 year old boat that I want surveyed so I don't buy something that requires me to spend my time changing chainplates and engines instead of sailing!
More importantly, I was specifically looking for someone to look at said boat for me before I spent the time and money flying down, which would be followed by a survey. So while I appreciate your attempt at conversation, this really isn't at all relevant to my or the OP's question!
Old 20-02-2017, 12:35   #14
h20

I am so sorry that i could not of been more help to you. Good luck to your search, I am sure the boat you get will be great! You must have known everything that i was suggesting, so you dont need any of my information to tell your inspector. Good Day Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14murs14 View Post
First, I'm looking at a less than 10 year old boat that I want surveyed so I don't buy something that requires me to spend my time changing chainplates and engines instead of sailing!
More importantly, I was specifically looking for someone to look at said boat for me before I spent the time and money flying down, which would be followed by a survey. So while I appreciate your attempt at conversation, this really isn't at all relevant to my or the OP's question!

Tags
marine, St Kitts, survey, surveyor