Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 08:48   #1

Marinas In / Near New York City?

Hi there,
we are coming to NYC on an Italian flagged 50 footer, the boat will stay in the area for 5/6 months in the summer (June, July, August, Sept, October, Nov) before going back to the Caribbean.

I did a research and I found the following options:
- 79th Street Boat Basin - manhattan
- marinebasinmarina.net
- Liberty Landing Marina

I'm sure there are few more reasonably priced marina where to leave the boat, any suggestion? As you probably guessed by now, I've never been there and can't wait!

Many thanks for your help!
Michele
michidago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:20   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Marinas In / Near New York City?

Hi michidago, It's been many years since I left NY so I don't have any up to date info for you. Due to it's location I imagine 79th st. yacht basin would cost the most. I remember a marina on the opposite side of Manhattan in the East River. More funky and probably cheaper. I used to keep my boats over at Staten Island in Great Kills Harbor. Should be plenty of marinas to choose from although none of them will be cheap due to location.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:39   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Michele-
You might try looking at the harbor charts and marina locations to see what you would accept. Liberty Landing is convenient to Manhattan, by PATH train or ferry, but if that's the one I'm thinking of, very rolly, every ship that goes up the Hudson will rock you. There's another one just a little further south by Liberty State Park which would be more sheltered.
79th Street boat basin may be problematic, the city keeps changing its mind on whether to expand it or close it, sometimes there is no problem getting a transient slip, sometimes it is booked up. Also, rolly.
If you had a very generous budget you could look into South Cove, right in Battery Park, but that's more for folks who let other folks carry their checkbooks.(G)
You may do better in Sheepshead Bay (not in NY harbor but just SE of it) or in Gateway Marina, located across the road from the old Floyd Bennett Field, just west of JFK airport. Harder to access that, but also an easy bus+subway ride into the city.
There are also options like Port Washington and Oyster Bay, on the north shore of Long Island to the east of the city. That gives you access to all of LI Sound, and each is the end of a rail line that gives good commuting into the city.
And while there are many yacht clubs on City Island and lots of sailing out of there, I'd suggest avoiding it because it is one of the longest bus+subway rides down into the city. If it is a slow year (no idea) some of those clubs might conjure up a reciprocity agreement and offer you a deal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:55   #4

Boat: Adams 45

I live in NYC and brought my then new-to-me boat to the 79th St Boat Basin in July, 2017. I strongly recommend against it. Location is great, but there are a few very significant drawbacks.
1. The docks only have about 1 meter of water at low tide.
2. Their moorings were not heavy enough for my 45-foot boat, so I had to buy my own mooring.
3. The Hudson River is nasty. Fast currents, a lot of traffic, both commercial and recreational, and heavy debris from upstream at times.
4. The boat basin does not have a boat, so they can't provide any service. You need to leave your dinghy in the water and use it to get to and from your boat.
5. I don't remember for sure, but you might have to be a NYC resident to get reasonable rates. My mooring fee was reasonable at $1500 for the season, but that's after I bought the mooring.

I was only there about 3 weeks when I got a 6am phone call telling me I should come move my boat because another boat dragged its mooring and was tangled up with my boat. They couldn't help because they don't have any kind of boat. The other boat's owner did not answer the phone.

I took my boat up the East River and around to Port Washington, Long Island. It's a beautiful, quiet harbor. The mooring was the same $1500 for the season, but they provided the mooring and tender service was included. The train station is a 15 minute walk from the dock, and then it's a 45 minute trip to NYC. I was MUCH happier in Port Washington. https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 11:13   #5

I live and sail in NYC. You have a lot of options, depending on budget and interest.
To start I agree with the post above, 79th St Boat basin is a terrible option! No facilities, far from the harbor and completely exposed. If you want to have easy access to Manhattan, the most convenient and affordable is Liberty harbor marina in Jersey City. Very protected, easy access to the harbor and to Manhattan. Liberty Landing is right next to it and it has similar cost.

On the Brooklyn side, there is One15 Brooklyn marina. It is has the newest marina in the area, some facilities, well protected and great location, but it is a bit more expensive. South of Verazanno bridge there are a couple of old marinas, cheaper but much with difficult access to Manhattan.

Another option as mentioned is to leave the boat in Port Washington, Oyster bay on Long Island Sound where you will have train access to Manhattan (around 1h).

The most expensive option would be in Manhattan itself, North Cove marina or Chelsea Piers.
fodao69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 11:55   #6

If you're just leaving your boat for a while, NYC is way too expensive. Even if you'll be coming to town to sail her, NYC Harbor and the Hudson River are not great sailing areas.

Look for something in Connecticut on the LI Sound. It will be less expensive and the sailing will be much, much better. Then you can take the train to/from NYC for travel and fun times.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 12:44   #7

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Liberty Landing is very protected, but the channel might be too shallow for a 50' yacht, depending on what you draw of course. I've stayed there twice on a boat with a ~ 7' draft and it was a bit tight, but we made it no problem.

If you want to do fancy at an ideal location, look up North Cove marina, in the shadow of 1 World Trade. It's a great spot and pretty much the only good choice in Manhattan. But it will cost as you would expect. At 50' your boat would be one of the smaller ones there.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:12   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Buona sera Michele,
As indicated in several posts above Manhasset B.v ay
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:33   #9

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Buona sera Michele,
As indicated in several posts above Manhasset bay, Port Washington is a great choice.
Close to mid town NYC yet not urban setting.
Close to supplies, services, marinas, restaurants Yacht clubs.
Large protected bay with deep water, good holding, reasonable moorings available. I am looking out my window at the bay now.
My marina (just outside the bay) would be around $2000. for a mooring including launch with extended hours to give you an idea. If interest advise and will give detail of all available.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 03:11   #10

Boat: Pearson 303

Same as being said before, no good options around Manhattan or Brooklyn. I'd warn against the One 15 Marina unless you like going through docklines. Took a j24 out from there and the docks and boats we're all over the place at the slightest sign of a passing ferry (every few minutes), plus with that price tag you're better off buying a car and stay further away.
Port Washington is probably your best bet on the NY side of the sound, we're at world's fair but it's tricky with 4' and planes overhead every minute so unless you're deaf not a place to liveaboard. But value and convenience is good!
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:48   #11

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

A great deal of good advice above, however I would like to say go to Oyster Bay Marine in Oyster Bay Long Island. The big advantage over Port Washington, is the Train station is within 1/4 mile of the launch, by walking through Teddy Roosevelt Park. Port Washington station is maybe 3 miles.
Old 15-02-2019, 09:52   #12

Boat: Adams 45

The Port Washington train station is about a 15 minute fast walk, uphill from the dock, so the station is only about 1 mile, not 3.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 09:53   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Michele,

Depending on how often you plan to be in NYC itself rather than just in the area and how long you are willing to travel to get there, there are lots of marinas and moorings in the area. Some of the others suggested are excellent suggestions, but if you're willing to take a ferry into NYC or have access to a car, consider some of the other marinas in NJ. Atlantic Highlands has a nice marina with both slips and moorings that has ferry service to Manhattan right at the marina. There is a small marina in Hoboken (next to a pier packed with bars and restaurants so it is very loud and may not accommodate a 50 footer) and used to be a marina in Weehawken, NJ not too far from the Port Imperial ferry service, although personally I think Liberty Landing in Jersey City is nicer and more convenient than both of those options. There are also some yacht clubs around that might be willing to arrange for a summer-long mooring for a non-member. We're at Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy (all moorings). Mass transit to NYC from there is not great, but if you are interested PM me and I'll put you in touch with our club steward. No matter what, the area is very crowded and almost every marina and mooring field worth being in fills up quickly so you'll want to act pretty quickly to reserve a spot for the summer.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 10:07   #14

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

Your a fast walker then. Guess you dont carry gear or supplies
Old 15-02-2019, 10:25   #15

There are negatives to the marina just below the Brooklyn Bridge (One 15?), but what a view! I'm most definitely a country boy, but I can still appreciate the eye candy appeal of having your yacht there for a long summer. If you expect to have visitors to the yacht imagine their awe at looking across the East River at the south end of Manhatten. Cheap for that most memorable experience.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, new york