Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 01:38   #1

Morgan 60 review

Hey all, I'm looking for information on the Morgan 60, quality of construction, sailing ability, any known issues, suitability for blue water work, owners stories, anything i can get really. A while of internet searching has shown up little apart from:

- 7 were built in the early 80's
- The Morgan business in the 80's went through a number of ownership changes settling down with Catalina purchasing in early 90's.
- They were aimed at the budget charter type market.

I wonder how many are still sailing? Anybody experienced or owned one of these boats? Any input appreciated.

Regards
jbk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 16:44   #2

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat
Re: Morgan 60 review

I have a Morgan 62' built in 1983. Hull was built by Morgan and finished by another builder at Snead Island boat works.

I have been thru 4 hurricanes and the biggest nastiest seas imaginable. The boat can take almost anything.

Its comfortable, seaworthy, dependable, and heavy.

It does not point well but sails well from a beam reach on aft.

It is not a fast boat, but it is great boat. The workmanship and joinery in my boat still is great 31 years after I got her.

She is a terrific blue water boat and will give you a great passage in almost any kind of weather with winds greater then 10kts.

Good luck

Ed
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:43   #3

Thanks Star blossom, that's good to hear that they're such strong hulls. Are there any points of weakness out of the factory that you've had to address at all over the years. Any areas which i ought to pay particular attention to during a survey? Any areas of design or spec or anything else which i might particularly want to upgrade from a standard example?
jbk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:07   #4

I own a Morgan 63 which was custom built and completed in 1991.
It has just finished a sail down the East Coast of the US to Australia. There were no problems at all with the yacht, a few minor repairs to the engine-water pump etc but other than that the boat was comfortable and stood up to heavy seas extremely well.
We use her as a live aboard and find inside it is roomy and comfortable..I can recommend them as a live aboard.
The only problem I have noticed with the hull is some of the tabbing is not real flash, I guess after 20 years it is to be expected.
xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan