Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 09:36   #16

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'
Re: Cruising boat for a 62 and 63 year old?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Considering your age, I recommend Princess Cruises, or Holland America.
Great food, great ports, great entertainment, comfortable cabins, very safe.
And minuscule work.

Cold, very cold....
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39   #17

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

Perhaps we have a different definition of "Advanced in years"...I'm 73, will be 74 in April my wife just turned 67, we just bought a new Beneteau 38.1. We sail off the coast of Southern California. And as mentioned in earlier posts, we have electric windless, electric winches, roller furling, auto pilot, bow thruster etc, which makes the boat easy to single hand. It's roomy enough for 3 or 4 people.

And maybe because we are "advanced in years" we also like the fact that the boat is covered by a 10 year warranty, is backed up by a super local Yacht company for maintenance....and we just fly in, get on the boat and sail.

Makes it easy when your are "advanced in years"...ha ha....sorry but I never thought of our age as getting old.

Sincerely,

Rick D'Amico
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I am 68 and my crew generally about the same. Without recommending a specific boat I’d suggest the following are important to me. Electric winches, bow thruster, electric windlass, roller furling main and Genoa, moderate freeboard, reasonable vertical distance between cockpit and saloon, beds you can get in and out of. Of importance, if your boat is fairly large you want to make sure the systems work. You can get into trouble if you need something that doesn’t work.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:43   #19

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Hi straydog,

My spouse and I are early 70s and doing fine. We understand the need for a good bed and good galley. We bought our 45' center cockpit cutter 20 years ago and love it more every day. I thought a 35' was large enough for our needs. We ended up with twice the space and it is truly a luxury. "Luxury" is not a word commonly used by cruisers, but that is how I think of the extra space.
As for handling, I have single-handed during squalls and stormy days with no problems or issues. I don't have "all lines to the cockpit", so I need to do reefs. We have both stays'l and headsail on furlers, so that is easier than hank-on. We have a "stack-pack" that the main drops into and just zips up as a sail cover.
But as far as handling, the 45' 18 ton cutter is easy to handle and easy to dock.
I would say, get the largest boat that fits your budget and explore your wonderful coasts in comfort and joy.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Due to your location, this reply will be of no help to you at all, but...

The NONSUCH boats were built specifically for old people. No strength or exertion required. Lots of space below. Exceptionally safe and easy to sail.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:15   #21

Boat: Amel 50

As almost-sixtiers with similar plans, we opted for a Beneteau production cruiser, for the size, comfort and ease of sailing. It’s also easy to find service and parts in most places in the world. There’s a good aftermarket so choose one that’s as big and as recent as your budget allows. If you plan to keep sailing when you’re old (remember, 60 is the new 40), consider self tacking jib, electric winches and a really good autopilot. But, that stuff can fail so use it for ease, not for necessity! Enjoy. It’s an enviable project.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
And minuscule work.

Ouch!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by straydog4612 View Post
Our budget is small, but I'm not looking for anything fancy, of our three past boats, only one has headroom, but they have been cruiser racers, and cruising boats I am finding is a whole different ballgame. I did see a Moody, however, as you now know, outside of our price range.
Have you got one last major adventure in you? go on you know want to

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...m#.Wiwrbkq68dU
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

Welcome aboard. I agree with the Jeanneau DS 43 with roller furling jib and in-mast main with redundant electric winches. Lots of room inside and capable of weathering anything you would be willing to go out in. Fair winds and following seas.
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10   #25

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
And minuscule work.

Really ignorant and offensive comment. Considering your smarts I think your rubber duckey is quite appropriate.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22   #26

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Physical health is the key factor. If you both are free of issues like difficulty on ladders, poor balance, etc I would still talk to my doctor first. If all looks good I would stay under 35' so as not to be reliant on electric winches to handle big sails. Rope rode not chain for the same reason. Bow thruster, roller reefing head sail, windlass, autopilot probably necessary. Lines to the cockpit are nice to have. Note that maintenance costs rise rapidly with boat size in determining your budget.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30   #27

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I like the Tayana 37. Not too big, not to small, and AFFORDABLE.

You can find them with all sorts of internal fit outs--but a stern cabin is often a noisy cabin when wind and tide are not in synch.

The Tayanas may not be fast, but you will get there eventually, and they are built like a brick outhouse. They also have some sort of re-sale value.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port...ale/1158927075

My choice would not be a monohull though. I would go for a cat about 38 feet. A little faster and a lot less draught with beaching keels, and even less with centreboards. They cost more to buy, but they have a good resale value if not made from plywood.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52   #28

Boat: Salar 40, 11.9m

Hi
You could not go past the Salar 40, however with your budget, you may have some work to do.

The Salar is a solid,safe, blue water cruising yacht with centre cockpit, long keel with cutaway forefoot. It is a Laurent Giles design.

There is a Salar group, both on Yahoo and on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Salar40/
https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/salar40/info

Also my own page https://sites.google.com/site/sinbadsalar40/

I am administrator of both groups and happy to approve you to join.

cheers
Maureen
Sinbad
Sydney Australia
salar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 13:40   #29

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

I'm 77 and Erica is 68....we work out at the gym, hike, walk, and stay very active. We are still saling, and believe that our many years of experience are a great help in all conditions. We are fit, and enegetic, postive and alert. Still some what nimble on deck, just wee bit slower than the billy goat agile days.

i really like the idea of bow thrusters, and quality rolling snarler head sails, but I still have a distrust of in the mast furling. I do like to have a simple and quick tripple reefing main. When i want it down, I can get it down, when I want it up, I can get it up. We reef early, and stay ahead of the situation.

As to Anchor chain, and rode, probably depends on where we were sailing, but we would like chain a minimum of 1.5 ft x the length of the vessel, and finish it off with line....total minimum 300 feet of rode. More chain and line may be needed depending on the locale. Also , we like two bow anchors to bahamian moor, and one stern anchor. We would stand clear of hurricane season.

For cruising, stowage, plenty of places to stow gear, supplies, and provisions.

extra batteries and large water tanks, and fuel tanks.

Back up installed electric fuel pump, to bleed air out of the fuel system.

Sound knowledge and experience with coastal piloting and navigation. Too much dependence on electronic boxes . I heard may day to the LONG BEACH COAST GUARD.... when the coasties asked the motor vessel skipper what his position was....the answer was I DUNNO, MY GPS ISN'T WORKING. He could not even figure out a DR track line, time speed , distance and direction, and time. The coastie had to do it for him. Taht being said , we would have back up hand held GPS. And if long at sea passages, celestial nav capabilies.

Also, we like the windlass for the bow anchors. Not sure about the fan club for electric sheet winches. Had a problem with one, a mainsail electric winch, that could not be broke free to winch it in. One slow motion mute. Same attitude, when I wan the bloody sail in, I want it in.

A really good auto pilot, and if making long passages, a self steering vane as well.

Never used it, but as long as it is a wish list. Solar. And an emergency battery blaster. Large boat, a generator.

A well found vessel and a viable and experienced crew member. Some one to count on in all conditions and situations.

And a vote for a berth that is easy to get in and out of. And, head room down below , especially for tall crew and guests.

Two heads. And a manual back up, if there are mascerators.

Manual back up for bilge pumps as well.

Safety gear: man overboard pole , line and horseshoe, safety harnesses with short tethers, arm pit to deck, jack lines rigged, flare gun kit, hand and pistol flares, fog whistle, emergency had operated pump, sharp personal knife, life jackets with lights, extra line, bucket and swab, extra winch handle, or two. Emergency tiller, Flash lights, lots of batteries, fire extinguishers, proper number for length of vessel and inspected and up to date.

That is enough, but with all of the good suggestions by the other posters, on outfitting and rigging a vessel for cruising. So much more.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 15:00   #30

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Straydog 4162

Welcome to CF. Most of the comments above are valid but I would add that after living onboard for 21 years comfort is important. Some advice given to us was (sue could you lift the mainsail by yourself) and was told to look for boats in the 35 to 42 ft range. We had been looking at bigger boats but the bigger they are the more expensive the gear and the berths.

I agree with your choice of a Swanson they may be old, but are to be found on the market at reasonable prices, but the do vary in fit out as a lot were purchased hull and deck and fitted out by owners so do look around. We sailed our friend's for years before we purchased our own boat, a Joe Adams Naut Forty. She is not a typical Adams racing boat, Joe designed them for the charter market in the Whitsundays so had 3 double cabins.

Headroom is important and self tailing winches (we still do not have electric winches) but have purchased a special drill and bit that can be fitted to make them electric - mainly for lifting the dingy as we do not have davits, but as yet we do not need it - we still attach the bridle to the main halyard and wind.

Some winches on our mast were not self tailing so we purchased rubber rings that grip the rope and hence become a cheap self tailing winch.

We would recommend certain electronics to make life easier. We have an autopilot, AIS, GPS, VHF and HF radios but then we still go off shore and not just coastal cruising so HF is essential for wx and emails as sat phones are still too expensive for our budget.

Others boats to recommend would be Cavaleers, and Savages but like the Tyanas may be above your price range. Be very careful if choosing a Valiant as they had many problems with hull blisters and fractures as they were produced in the time when fibreglass experiments with different resins where the norm.

best of luck with finding a boat just right for you both. Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, moody ds54