Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 20:34   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
USCG documentation screw-ups

Have others been experiencing waste and mismanagement in dealing with USCG's National Vessel Documentation Center? For two years running now, after charging the $26 renewal fee to my credit card, VDC has mailed a duplicate of an old, expired certificate. Last year after having the expired certificate express-forwarded half way around the world, I notified VDC ... and VDC then issued TWO different renewal certificates. We'll see if they repeat that mistake again. In the meantime, I'm without a current certificate of documentation despite having applied for renewal on time.

Others have this or similar problems?
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 20:49   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: USCG documentation screw-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii View Post
Have others been experiencing waste and mismanagement in dealing with USCG's National Vessel Documentation Center? For two years running now, after charging the $26 renewal fee to my credit card, VDC has mailed a duplicate of an old, expired certificate. Last year after having the expired certificate express-forwarded half way around the world, I notified VDC ... and VDC then issued TWO different renewal certificates. We'll see if they repeat that mistake again. In the meantime, I'm without a current certificate of documentation despite having applied for renewal on time.

Others have this or similar problems?
Never had to pay anything for renewal.
Every year a New Document came in the mail free of charge.

There is a scam place out there who claim to be the USCG, they got me for $479 3 months ago to change my Documentaion from Pleasure to Coastwise Commerical.
I requested the money back and if they don't deliver, I will go nuclear.
Stay tuned.
Old 07-12-2016, 20:54   #3

Right, the renewal used to be free ... but the $26 fee was instituted effective Nov 14, 2014. This is from the uscg.mil web site so unless the Russians have hacked that too I'm pretty sure it is not a scam (and if it were, it would be easy to retrieve the funds through VISA).
Old 07-12-2016, 20:56   #4

The rule imposing this fee is published in the Federal Register:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...n-renewal-fees

It is legit.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:26   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

yes it now costs 26 usd to renew.
and us snail mail is not the way to do it-- they willnot receive it in timely manner even if it is mailed 3 months early. i know htis as it happened to me and i had to pay 86 usd to re document my boat.
this is ridiculous, as i sent mine in 3 months early, usmail. never again. i had to call via phone a lady named ruth who took care of my issues nicely, since then my mom has done it for me--within usa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:50   #6

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I read recently in the BoatUS magazine that beginning in 2017 all the documentation certificates will be good for five years. Good news if it arrives to you correctly, you can rest assured. Bad news is it may take five years to straighten it out, and it could cost $130.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I read recently in the BoatUS magazine that beginning in 2017 all the documentation certificates will be good for five years. Good news if it arrives to you correctly, you can rest assured. Bad news is it may take five years to straighten it out, and it could cost $130.
when u s coast guard says it is going to be a 5 year certificate of documentation, then i will believe that bs. and only when i am advised by uscg. so far, i aint heard that. so so far it is bs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:16   #8

Boat: Cornado 25

Public Law 114-120 (Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2015)was signed into law on Feb 8, 2016.

Section 311 (CERTIFICATES OF DOCUMENTATION FOR RECREATIONAL VESSELS) states:
Not later than one year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating shall issue regulations that make certificates of documentation for recreational vessels effective for five years and require a vessel owner to: (1) notify the Coast Guard of each change in the information on which the issuance of the certificate of documentation is based, and (2) apply for a new certificate of documentation for the vessel if there is any such change.

If my math is correct this means the 5 year COD should become effective on Feb 8, 2017.

In the meanwhile I have been using the Doc center's Online Payment option for renewals with good success. Allows "shipping address change" to receive at a location other than your address of record. If out of the country it goes to my address of record to be forwarded by DHL or whatever, while in country it comes direct to my current local mailing address. Looking forward to the 5 year COD but will be interested to see if cost remains $26 for 5 year ticket. Hope so, but would pay the $130 just to avoid the chase.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:03   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Current long delays aside, which I assume are due to budgetary constraints imposed upon them, Ive never had anything but good experiences with the NVDC.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:49   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Not a single problem with two different boats since 2004.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 16:38   #11

I am still waiting for my renewal certificate for 2017. I submitted my renewal application (and the ok to charge my credit card) via email so there was no delay on that step, and USCG did indeed charge my card the very next day -- and mail the OLD 2015 certificate to me. By email I sent a scanned copy of this defunct certificate to the VDC -- explaining how they had committed the same screw-up the year before, asking for the renewed 2017 certificate I had been charged for -- and VDC did in fact respond promptly: BUT telling me that VDC had issued a 2017 certificate and would do nothing further. So I again send the scan of the certificate I had actually received, and asked "would you please open and look at this attachment -- THIS is what you mailed to me!"

Latest word from VDC: "Sorry for the misunderstanding. I see we did issue a second (i.e., 2017) COD ten days ago. If you have not received this in another ten days we will issue another one."

Three more days to go ...
Old 15-12-2016, 16:44   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Anxiously awaiting my renewal document as my current one expires Dec. 31.
Old 16-12-2016, 04:53   #13

Boat: Cornado 25

Submitted my renewal Dec 1st via the "Order Products Online" link on the NVDC home page. Received new COD (2017) via snail mail (Marathon, FL) on Dec 9th.

Note: This is not submitting a renewal form via email with CC authorization, but rather a semi automatic system all done online. Renewal / Late Renewal (less than 30 days late) Abstract of Title and Certified Copy of COD are all available.
Old 23-01-2017, 15:46   #14

Boat: Mark Smaalder's designed 32' cold-molded cutter

I mailed off my Initial Documentation application for my home-built 32' cutter in August. The check was cashed within days. I finally received my Documentation Certificate today; dated December 21. 4-5 months total. Only good for one year.
scottmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:11   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I missed the renewal notice the year of the change over, but since then it's been fine. It does take a few weeks, always did.

Tags
crew, documentation, men