Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2014, 09:32   #1

Anchoring in New York area

We want to visit NYC this summer and will have friends flying into NY from Sydney to stay for a few weeks. After looking at the cost of marina berths, we need to find a good place to anchor that is close to transportation into the city.

We are 48ft, so we cannot use the 79th Street Marina's transient moorings. We draft 8 ft and have a fast dinghy, so distance to a dinghy dock is not a problem, if there is not a great deal of rough water to cross.

Any up to date information is greatly appreciated.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:34   #2

Re: Anchoring in New York area

www.activecaptain.com

Previous and numerous questions about this same subject have usually resulted in folks suggesting anchoring outside NYC and taking the train into town, from further upstate on the Hudson River or Long Island, or New Jersey (Sandy Hook).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 09:39   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Reasonable priced moorings are available from some of the yacht clubs on City Island, and there is mass transit into the city.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:20   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

try barrons on the back side of city island -- good and safe and easy to get to the city
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:30   #5

Boat: Able 50

Harlem Yacht Club might suit. ( I know it sounds like an oxymoron )

Harlem Yacht Club - Welcome to the Harlem Yacht Club

Liberty Landing isn't cheap but there is a ferry right to the marina so it is convenient.

http://libertylandingmarina.com/
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 10:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Fast dinghy I don't think will help you much. Most of upper NY harbor is really, really choppy due to the constant large boat traffic, mostly ferries. My only trip through the city on a day without any wind at all it was rough.

In my 19' ski boat it would not have been a pleasant trip. In a dinghy, even a RIB, forget it.

City Island is a good, less expensive option and not too far to a train station. Also a couple of marinas and mooring on Staten Island. From there you can take the free ferry to Manhattan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:22   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

If your looking to anchor and leave the boat for a day or an extended period, a protected bay with good depth and good holding is Manhasset Bay on the north shore of Long Island.
A 35 minute train ride into the heart of Manhattan. Many services including a West Marine and restaurants all close. Also town has many free moorings for up to 48 hours available (not sure if good for 48 fter.) I am local and will provide more info if interest.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 11:29   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've stayed at on a mooring at Harlem Yacht club. The only issue I had is that the launch service only ran until 8:00 so if you were doing anything late in the city you had to take your own dinghy to the club. The people there were very nice and it was no trouble getting to the subway station via a city bus, but be warned the buses take change only, no bills. We didn't know it the first time we got on the bus, but the driver let us ride anyway. We were able to buy $10 tickets at the train station. I don't know why people bad mouth New Yorkers. I found everyone there to be nice and extremely helpful. There are a few very good places to eat not far from the yacht club and a couple of neighborhood grocery stores nearby as well. There are several other yacht clubs nearby on city island that rent moorings as well. Be aware that there is a very large radio transmitter on the north side of City Island and if you anchor there (on the north side) the signal is so powerful it comes out of your speakers even with the radio turned off. We did not have an issue on the south side of the island with the transmitter. Also be aware that the police target range is just to the west of city island and during the day you will hear the gunfire. It is not criminal activity. I highly recommend stoping there, and enjoy your visit.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 12:47   #9

Boat: contessa 32

Totally doable both sides of H river, but less bottom debris and good holding w/o commercial traffic and reduced currents on the West shore say from 79th boat basin N. . below that there is much more of a slop from all ferries etc.. I see yachts from around the world of your size anchored above and below the moorings @79th so I would try there first and just take your tender into 79th boat basin and you will have the best of NYC in all directions at your feet with an absolutely jaw dropping nite time view …not to be missed.
But to clarify: if you find the currents and chop too daunting ,then try the jersey side in 18 feet of water in the same latitude and dingy over to 79th.
If you still find this too testing or you are wearing evening wear then spring for the bucks at the sites mentioned above.

……………………lot you all………mike
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 12:59   #10

Link below to Pier 25 which has transient moorings, it's located just north of Battery Park City, have a look might be an option for you.

http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/explo...er-25-moorings

The best free spot to anchor is at Caven Point which is just south of Liberty State Park. To get there take a narrow state maintained channel just behind the Statue of Liberty. Very snug spot, sludge bottom.

Photo below shows Caven Point. You can see a little bit of Ellis Island on the right side of the frame. Statue of Liberty is just out of view to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	79652  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 07:05   #11

Where in the photo of Cravens Point is it acceptable/suitable to anchor? I think the location is the one I indicated on the attached chart (red circle target, NW corner ) ......is this correct? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	81085  
hover2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 09:30   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
If your looking to anchor and leave the boat for a day or an extended period, a protected bay with good depth and good holding is Manhasset Bay on the north shore of Long Island.
A 35 minute train ride into the heart of Manhattan. Many services including a West Marine and restaurants all close. Also town has many free moorings for up to 48 hours available (not sure if good for 48 fter.) I am local and will provide more info if interest.
+1 on Port Washington and Manhasset Bay. Free mooring for a few days. Reaonsable afterward. Dinghy dock in town and another one in front of a good grocery store. Anchoring area is large and secure. 15minute walk up the hill to the LIRR train station. This is the commuter train that takes you into Manhattan. Easy ride in and out. Great way to visit NYC.
Old 13-05-2014, 10:11   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There is anchoring, dinghy dock, showers etc on Manhatten. But as no one believes me I will not waste my time posting the information.

If the original poster wants it he is invited to PM or email me.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 12:41   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

That Pier 25 mooring field is right near the NY Waterway ferry docks, and when I was visiting there recently I was amazed at how rolly that field was -- incessant waves coming in at all angles. I wouldn't be happy sleeping aboard there unless on a 50-foot catamaran.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 14:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hover2sail View Post
Where in the photo of Cravens Point is it acceptable/suitable to anchor? I think the location is the one I indicated on the attached chart (red circle target, NW corner ) ......is this correct? Thanks for the help.
Yes, that's the spot. It is on the small side and there is not room for more than about six boats at a time. The channel leading into it is very narrow with shoal water on either side but the course is straight and it is easy to follow the State maintained markers.

However once inside, and if you can get a spot, there is excellent cover from land to the north and west, and to the south a broken breakwater projects from sandy Caven Point, one of the few remaining natural beaches in New York Harbor, it is now a protected bird sanctuary.

I think the depths are fairly accurate as far as showing the shallow at the back of the bay and deeper water up front towards the entrance, but I am working with a lead line lately so you might want to use some caution. The holding is good although a wash down pump is handy as the bottom is a rather nasty black sludge, a legacy of the area's unfortunate industrial past.

As has been commented elsewhere, New York Harbor is busy place and subject to frequent chop. Yes you can park between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island, but if you are not on a big cat you might not enjoy it for long.

The reason I like Caven Point is because it provides good protection in all winds (you can duck inside the floating sailing school docks in an southeasterly) with a very rustic setting that is about as far removed from the bustle of the city as is possible. The park closes at night and the nature preserve is so quiet and dark you wouldn't know you were in a city of millions.

I highly recommend it as a layover spot for those waiting for the tide to turn when transiting the East River but have known people to stay there for months at a time.

It is rustic however and there is nothing on shore whatsoever, but with a cell phone a taxi can always be hailed.

Cheers!

MarkJ - Agreed, I never said there wasn't, but Manhattan doesn't come cheap and Caven Point is free!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, new york