Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2017, 17:20   #1

Question Bottom Paint - What else to change while hauled out?

Aloha everyone!

I just bought my first sailboat I will be hauling it out within the next 2 months or so to paint the hull. That will be entirely different post, i will need some guidance for that one.

Anyways, while she is out of the water, what should i be replacing/upgrading? i realize the thru hulls should be replaced, but anything else?
Nickelrw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 17:23   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Bottom Paint - What else to change while hauled out?

Do the through hulls need to be replaced? I've only just now started changing through hulls and valves....they are 40 years old.

Beyond paint you need to check the cutlass bearing and replace if needed, change the anodes, check rudder bearings. Other things depending on you particular boat
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 17:24   #3

I should have said what the damn boat was. LMFAO. I appreciate your reply!

1974 Catalina 27.
Old 15-02-2017, 19:44   #4

I'll echo the "do the through hulls need replacement?" comment.

However, do move all of the valves on the through hulls while it is out and Lube them all. If any are frozen, while the boat is out is the time to "force" them to move, not while the boat is in the water.

Changing the shaft zinc is easiest out of the water too (and rudder post zinc if you have one).

Check packing gland for service or replacement.

Check rudder post bearing or packing gland (depending on boat model) while the boat is out.

Check prop for dezincification or damage.

Check for any blisters or delamination below the water line.

Check and replace cutless bearing if needed.

Sometimes specific engine repairs can't be done safely in the water. For example, if the shaft needs to come out to service the transmission, sometimes it had to be pressed out with force, which would be a bad idea in the water on case you press it all the way out on accident. Not all boats have this issue though. But think about that before hauling.

Replacing depth and speed transducers can be done in the water, but doing it out of the water is less stressful if you've never done it before.

Changing name, registration etc lettering is easier when the boat is out and not moving around while you're working.

Just a quick list.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 10:31   #5

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrau18 View Post

Replacing depth and speed transducers can be done in the water, but doing it out of the water is less stressful if you've never done it before.
You can also renew the speed transducer If it is serviceable. The paddle wheel can be removed and cleaned and the needle bearing can be cleaned.

Sometimes a transducer can be renewed also if the paint can be removed without damaging the unit.

On a different note, the boot and cove stripes are more easily painted while on the hard.

Also, if you need to step the mast to service it, its wiring, or any instruments on it, it is easier on the hard.

Another item that is often more easily done is a polishing and waxing of the gel coat on the hull, the coach roof, cockpit, etc. In particular the hull is easier since you can lean against something and use two hands. If you're doing it while in the water, you need someone or something to hold you against the hull. If you are using a power tool that has a cord, you have that issue to deal with too.

Sometimes nav lights are more easily accessed while on the land. It won't hurt to clean any contacts for the bulbs and check the wiring.

In general, any large parts that need to be removed for servicing are often more easily dealt with while on the land.

I guess it really depends upon how much time you are going to have on the hard versus your desire to get back on the water! Of course, you always have the option of getting a additional boats like I did. Yes, that was an excellent plan! I do enjoy all of them though!

Good luck with your new boat!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 10:35   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Congratulations on your new boat!

I just thought of something else. If you are going to rename it, you will likely find it easier to do while she is on the hard. This is true if you are painting the new name or using a decal.

By the way, there are many companies that make decals. If however you are using BoatUS, they also have a decal service that is pretty nice. Even if you don't use them, you can get some ideas of what the name, and the port of call, will look like by using their site. You can change the font, add curvature, italics, shadows, change colours, etc. If nothing else, you will get an idea of what you like and don't like.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:02   #7

Boat: Beneteau 50

[QUOTE=Sailmonkey;2326856]Do the through hulls need to be replaced? I've only just now started changing through hulls and valves....they are 40 years old.

Whoa!! I was 180 nm NE of Bonaire in heavy seas and at 3 am three throu hulls snapped off accumalative of a 3" hole taking in water. Luckily crew were below and saw the heads filling up even luckier l knew where the wooden plugs were.

27 worrying hours back to Bonaire then Curacao to be hauled out. I changed 22 throu hulls two more of which broke up in my hand. I have 5 heads watermaker and A/c's hence a large number of throu hulls. Boat built 2002 but manufacturer knew bad product of supplied thou hulls between 2002 and 2006 were defective. Boat manufacturer replaced thou hulls on brand new boats when delived to dealers but aledgidly didn't inform existing boat owners. I wander how many boats and people have been lost due to failing thou hulls? We shall never know so YES if your in doubt change the thou hulls don't wait for a 3 in the morning emergency. Have a surveyor double check for you for peace of mind.

Peter - If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:13   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelrw87 View Post
Aloha everyone!

I just bought my first sailboat I will be hauling it out within the next 2 months or so to paint the hull. That will be entirely different post, i will need some guidance for that one.

Anyways, while she is out of the water, what should i be replacing/upgrading? i realize the thru hulls should be replaced, but anything else?
It would help a great deal if you would give us more information about the boat's condition, and what your plans for it are; do you want to restore/refurbish it, or just sail it as is and do only what is required. Also, your location and your intended plans for where you're going to sail the boat would be helpful.

You've received a pretty exhaustive list of possible tasks to tackle while the boat is out of the water.

I'll just add that if the rigging is old, or you don't know what it's status is, you should have it inspected by a rigger. The reasons for that are two fold; first, if the wrong stay fails and your mast comes down, renewing the rigging will have seemed like cheap insurance against what the cost of that will be. Second, if you're already hauling the boat, and the mast is coming down because you're rejigging, that would be a trigger for doing a bunch of other tasks (new chainplates, bebedding deck hardware, furburbing/painting the deck, etc.) that require, or are a heck of a lot easier, with the mast down.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:16   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

To all the above, I would add the stern tube bears a look.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:17   #10

Boat: Island Packet 32

Also, make sure the prop is the propers size and tune.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:46   #11
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Now you have an intimidating list of things to do! Good luck!

I would say that bottom paint may be low on my list*, far more important are the things pointed out by other people here; the things that will sink your boat or potentially kill you (thru-hulls, rigging etc.)

I'd take a look at Don Casey's book This Old Boat, and perhaps Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. They are worth owning!

*Depends where you're going to keep the boat and if you mind bottom scrubbing...be aware, that "bottom paint" may require a lot more than just slapping on another coat...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:51   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelrw87 View Post
Aloha everyone!

Tread warily! The value of all the suggestions thus given is up around the complete value of a 1974 27 footer.

So before you go crazy just buy another boat.
And if you think that's crazy go tally your list. My thru hulls were over $3,000 to replace. The chance of you being able to do the cutless bearing on your first boat is remote, but if you do pull it you would be told to do the shaft seal. I'm having that done in a month or so and expect it to be $1,500. There are rudder bearings $1,000 keelbolts $2,000, rebedfibg transducer holes, and all the stuff mentioned.
No one is going to say: "no you don't need that done" indeed they will tell you its CRAZY to go out in the boat without them all being done.

Tally that up and it's the value of your boat

Be wise. A few coats of paint is turning into economic insanity

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It would help a great deal if you would give us more information about the boat's condition, and what your plans for it are; do you want to restore/refurbish it, or just sail it as is and do only what is required. Also, your location and your intended plans for where you're going to sail the boat would be helpful.

You've received a pretty exhaustive list of possible tasks to tackle while the boat is out of the water.

I'll just add that if the rigging is old, or you don't know what it's status is, you should have it inspected by a rigger. The reasons for that are two fold; first, if the wrong stay fails and your mast comes down, renewing the rigging will have seemed like cheap insurance against what the cost of that will be. Second, if you're already hauling the boat, and the mast is coming down because you're rejigging, that would be a trigger for doing a bunch of other tasks (new chainplates, bebedding deck hardware, furburbing/painting the deck, etc.) that require, or are a heck of a lot easier, with the mast down.
Ill give you a little rundown. Her condition is pretty good. Sailable as is. Has a few dings and scratches that im gunna fix when bottom painting.

Plans for it are to do a little restoring, not intensive, learn the systems of the boat - electrical, mechanical etc - learn the ways of the ocean and then sell it, buy another boat in Caribbean and go from there. Plans include, paint the hull, restore all teak, clean up the interior a bit, replacement windows (prob from Crusing Concepts), engine cleanup/tuneup (Atomic 4).

Location is Hawaii, and id like to sail often. I will be living in it after i clean her up and get her back in the water after paint.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:02   #14

Holy moly this is very overwhelming... lol.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:04   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

[QUOTE=Peter200;2327266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Do the through hulls need to be replaced? I've only just now started changing through hulls and valves....they are 40 years old.

Whoa!! I was 180 nm NE of Bonaire in heavy seas and at 3 am three throu hulls snapped off accumalative of a 3" hole taking in water. Luckily crew were below and saw the heads filling up even luckier l knew where the wooden plugs were.

27 worrying hours back to Bonaire then Curacao to be hauled out. I changed 22 throu hulls two more of which broke up in my hand. I have 5 heads watermaker and A/c's hence a large number of throu hulls. Boat built 2002 but manufacturer knew bad product of supplied thou hulls between 2002 and 2006 were defective. Boat manufacturer replaced thou hulls on brand new boats when delived to dealers but aledgidly didn't inform existing boat owners. I wander how many boats and people have been lost due to failing thou hulls? We shall never know so YES if your in doubt change the thou hulls don't wait for a 3 in the morning emergency. Have a surveyor double check for you for peace of mind.
The EU standards lets their manufacturers save a few dollars by using thru hulls with a life expectancy of 5 years, so there are now crummy thru hulls on the market. Catalina used true bronze ones, and the OP's thru hulls are probably in better shape than a much newer Euro boat. Just give each fitting a sharp rap with a hammer, and leave it alone if it survives.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint