Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 02:08   #1

How to navigate new ports?

When you pull in to a new place, how do you navigate through it and ensure you don't hit reefs or rocks? Also how do you know exactly where to go to get to the marina?

Im buying a boat soon here in Hawaii and am going to have to move the boat to another marina eventually, so I need to figure out how to do this without hitting anything. Do you just put the coordinates of the marina into a GPS and then follow a course with depth charts?
odeapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: How to navigate new ports?

If arriving somewhere new after an overnight passage arrive at dawn... then you have the benefit of fixing your position by the leading/range lights, etc

Never enter a strange port in the dark.

By all means enter the position of your destination on your plotter .. however...

Rely on your Mk 1 eyeballs ... not what some chart... paper or electronic tells you.

Dems de rools....
Old 08-01-2017, 02:42   #3

Some chartplotters have photos of the port including overhead. Always very wise to use a pilot guide. In the Med we use Heikell, has plenty about risks on entering. Websites such as noonsite and seaseek can be helpful. Active captain can be helpful. Do all your research the night before so that you 'know' the port well. If you can get radio contact with the port, ask for guidance. Some places will send out a dinghy. Chat to the people in the port you are at before you sail and ask for details about your destination
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Google Earth can also help you to get an idea of the approaches.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:04   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

And don't forget local knowledge. If you call the marina they will inform you of any relevant information that is not reflected on the chart, such as recent shoaling, confusing markers, obstructions, etc.

Also, if you're new to boating you'll quickly learn that one of the most stressful aspects, particularly on a larger boat, can be getting into a slip. Call the marina as you approach and request that a dock hand meet you at the slip to catch and secure lines.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to navigate new ports?

Before you buy the boat I suggest you take a course in navigation and chart reading.. there's a bit more to it than just entering your destination into the Chartplotter and heading off on the course it gives you.. it involves interpreting the charts and understanding the different symbols you see.. not just the depth contours.
Also suggest a study of weather and how it affects the currents/sea's in the area you'll be cruising.. unless you want to end up as just another statistic.. I understand there were quite a few off E Florida yesterday..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:43   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

odeapt,

Sailing and piloting a boat is a bit different from driving a car with a GPS. Before setting out it will help if you take some basic courses. Check your local Power Squadron for introductory courses.

With the advent of chartplotters many think that's all there is to it. But running around with a chartplotter without basic piloting skills is very dangerous. A chartplotter or GPS will not tell you which side of a buoy to take or who should alter course if meeting another vessel. You will learn this and much more from an introductory course on piloting.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:45   #8

If I am going somewhere I have never been before.
I look up the relevant sailing directions I like to use the actual official pilot books. I also use Cruising guides.

Chart 1 (Canada) its the Chart Catalogue to make sure I have the right charts.

Tide tables. and a current atlas when available come in handy.
A list of lights. worth while. as is notices to mariners for any changes.

Then I make a plan. sometimes called a passage plan. It may vary from something very simple to something quite complex depending upon where I am going. Often I do it on the spur of the moment provided I can find my glasses because I changed my mind.

Start with a small scale chart plot a rough route. just using the chart the catalogue is perfect.
tells me the charts I need.
Rough route on smallest scale chart.
gives me areas to look up in pilot books and sailing directions.
read relevant sections.
pull out large scale charts. make detailed notes on where hazards mentioned in pilot books and sailing directions are. plot courses and more important pick out transits ect clearing lines and minimum distances to stay clear of any hazards.

Figure out tide times for high and low water required depth for my boat plus an allowance. In some areas this also include times for slack water and maximum current

plot it out on charts. or not.

write some notes in a pocket notebook for quick reference

I make all my routes and clearances simple KISS. as possible.

I like to use prominent transits to keep clear of dangers if I can.
If I can steer on a transit is best.
Or when abeam. if I cant find a transit.
If not then a main cardinal N S E W
Then inter cardinals
then whole 10s
then whatever dame bearing.
I will use depth soundings, make a note of the minimum depth of channel.
apply height of tide and draft plus allowance make not of minimum reading for sounder. If channel depth is 5 if sounder reads les than say 5m stop.

I always like to have a visual reference.

In addition to above where possible. Use designated navigation marks.
Marked transits.
Lights. Light sectors.
Buoys. Don't rely on buoys alone make sure if you can to have a confirmation. Buoys get moved.

I use twice the distance from the point or mark I can see to the rock to keep clear then round up to a whole no. or an easy fraction 1/4m 1/5m 3/4 easy to remember.
course in 5s or 10s if possible easier to remember.

Its sounds complicated, its not, going into a big harbour might take some time. most places
I can do it in my head with a folded up chart in my pocket and the sailing directions in the cockpit in a couple of minutes.

Day night mostly I don't care, if its unlit I will use a bright light if concerned I will wait for daylight.

I don't use GPS, Chart Plotters, Way Points. Computers or Google other folks do whatever works for them
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Google Earth can also help you to get an idea of the approaches.
I use Google earth/maps a lot, but have some wishes:

1. Can you get google earth with a depth overlay (not opencpn with a GE inset)?

2. Is it possible to use google earth offline at all zoom levels?

3. Do you think they will ever add a form of marine street view so that you can track your journey down a coast?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:35   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I would have thought Google Earth is more a hazard to navigation.

It has almost nothing that would appear on a marine chart. Somewhat important stuff like, water depth, rocks, shoals, wrecks, etc etc.
Nor does it have any knowledge of currents, tides or tidal flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
Do you just put the coordinates of the marina into a GPS and then follow a course with depth charts?
No you don't. Unlike your car GPS there are no roads in the sea so the GPS can't plot a course itself.
And like other posters have said a navigation course will save yours and your passenger's lives.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37   #11

go slow
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by odeapt View Post
Do you just put the coordinates of the marina into a GPS and then follow a course with depth charts?
My chartplotter has a "guide to" facility, You put your cursor over the place you want to go to, hit 'guide to' and it will plot your course. It goes around coast lines and obstructions. Unfortunately it guides to 10 metres depth and so you can end up being very uncomfortably close to shore and rocks. Prudent management is critical. My chartplotter doesn't control the autopilot, I also have highway mode. I set the course and go sailing. When I get 250m off course, I trim to return to the course. It then wanders a little bit onto the other side and I trim back. This happens every 15 minutes or so. Coming into port from 1-2 miles out is all hands on wheel stuff.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:12   #13

Boat: Boatless

Odeapt, your question says to me that you have not had any or very little experience. I may be wrong and if so apologies.

That being said there is a mountain of experience to gain prior to "figuring out how to leave without hitting anything". Much can be gained through books, film, etc. Much from simply doing with others.

Whenever I read this type of question I wince a little. Some of the very detailed and sincere responses are spot on however miles above the OP.

This has been hashed out many times on this forum and the answers are always the same, take a course, crew, volunteer for a passage, charter, etc. Whatever you do please be prudent and know your limitations, especially if you have others aboard.

There is a reason I stay off the "Magenta Line" in the Bahamas. The chart plotter is a wonderful aid, treat it as such ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:12   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I know this seems simplistic to the point of insulting, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

***Make sure you know if your charts are showing depth in feet or meters****

Ask me how I know this.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:35   #15

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Or fathoms.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
ports