Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 07:15   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Mexican 2-part poly paint experiences?

We just had our nonskid painted with a 2-part poly from Mexico. Not sure if it was Sherman Williams or Comex. The guy who did the works is very reputable. However, we've had a lot of problems with it. Our biggest complaint is that the paint stains easily. If you try to scrub a stain/dirt off, the spot stays but the nonskid doesn't.

The paint actually came off on my wifes shoe yesterday when she stepped aboard (days after being painted), leaving a hole in the nonskid and paint on her shoe. There was a towel in that spot that had been soaking wet, and had some dog pee on it too. She removed the towel, and I noticed a wet paint smell, then she stepped on it and it came right off. Although we don't normally keep wet dog pee towels on the deck, I'm sure wet towels have been left around for longer and not had a problem with the old paint.

We're considering buying awlgrip and having him re-paint. The deck had awlgrip on it before. It's just a PITA to get it down here, and he said he used this 2-part paint all the time without problems.

We use a square of fake grass for the dog to do it's business on, and it appears to be staining the deck, but didn't do that before.

Anybody have any insight as to what went wrong? We're in for a huge PITA and more delays and expenses. It's almost like he used a flat paint which dirt sticks to, versus a glossy that comes clean easy.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Mexican 2-part poly paint experiences?

Breeze,
It sounds, initially, like a prep issue to me. Possibilities are: 1.) improper surface preparation, 2.) application in very damp conditions, or 3.)improper mixture/thinning of paint. Did you supervise the painting? Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. If you're dealing with an honest yard/tech, they should repaint your boat at no cost.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Breeze,
It sounds, initially, like a prep issue to me. Possibilities are: 1.) improper surface preparation, 2.) application in very damp conditions, or 3.)improper mixture/thinning of paint. Did you supervise the painting? Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. If you're dealing with an honest yard/tech, they should repaint your boat at no cost.
Humidity was 70% or so. We had one section of the boat that had lots of very small bubbles (pin head size) that we had him repaint already.

He painted another boat with awlgrip and I haven't heard of them having any issue with it. He's agreed to fix it, but we want to make sure it's fixed right this time.

So it may be the paint is fine, but the humidity or mix was off? I doubt he was checking the humidity and adjusting his mix... it's mexico, they do things by the seat of their pants down here.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-12-2016, 10:26   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
We just had our nonskid painted with a 2-part poly from Mexico. Not sure if it was Sherman Williams or Comex. The guy who did the works is very reputable. However, we've had a lot of problems with it. Our biggest complaint is that the paint stains easily. If you try to scrub a stain/dirt off, the spot stays but the nonskid doesn't.

The paint actually came off on my wifes shoe yesterday when she stepped aboard (days after being painted), leaving a hole in the nonskid and paint on her shoe. There was a towel in that spot that had been soaking wet, and had some dog pee on it too. She removed the towel, and I noticed a wet paint smell, then she stepped on it and it came right off. Although we don't normally keep wet dog pee towels on the deck, I'm sure wet towels have been left around for longer and not had a problem with the old paint.

We're considering buying awlgrip and having him re-paint. The deck had awlgrip on it before. It's just a PITA to get it down here, and he said he used this 2-part paint all the time without problems.

We use a square of fake grass for the dog to do it's business on, and it appears to be staining the deck, but didn't do that before.

Anybody have any insight as to what went wrong? We're in for a huge PITA and more delays and expenses. It's almost like he used a flat paint which dirt sticks to, versus a glossy that comes clean easy.

Sounds like his mix ratio was off, it should not be possible for that to occur. I'd try a solvent test, if the current finish softens or is removed by acetone then it's not cured and never will be. If this is the case, be sure they remove all suspect coatings before applying new over it, or you will have issues down the line.

There are standards for this stuff. Breaking out a Barcol Impressor is way over most people's heads, but any new coating should be able to pass a basic destructive field adhesion test as well. This is simple; rub on the strongest stickiest duct tape you can find really really well, ensuring dry and clean, in a 4"x4" patch. Cut an X through both tape and coatings, primer included, with a utility knife. Then start a corner of the tape, and rip the tape patch off aggressively. If any paint comes off on the tape, the adhesion test is failed. Whether paint and primer or just paint comes off tells you something too. This is a standard field adhesion test that all two part coatings in good shape will pass. No surveyor will do it for you, as it is a destructive test which requires a repair.

Nonskid in two part should also pass this test, ie no skid particles should come off on the tape.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:32   #5

Prep issue or mix issue if the paint that came off is not cured.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:41   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Prep issue or mix issue if the paint that came off is not cured.

It "stuck to her shoe". Bet you money this is a mix issue and not prep. Paint that won't pass a dog pee solvent test certainly won't pass an acetone solvent test!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Having lived in Central America for over a decade, Im always very skeptical of products here...even big brand name ones. Often the quality is just not the same.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It "stuck to her shoe". Bet you money this is a mix issue and not prep. Paint that won't pass a dog pee solvent test certainly won't pass an acetone solvent test!
Yeah, he doesn't say if it's a hard flake or gooey though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:19   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm just wondering if it was really 2 part polyurethane. I have done a few decks now with Awlgrip poly and cabosil. The Peterson 44 I did in 95, still looks good, but ready to get another coat. As previously mentioned, it will be necessary to remove the paint completely.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:01   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I go with mix ratio too, depending on the formulation (and manufacturer); some are more sensitive than others, but any deviation more than a very small percentage from spec will result in 'modifications' of final coating properties in them all...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:01   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Aside from the excellent info by minaret, you probably could have a chemical analysis of the paint done by a lab. In order to determine what's going on, & what perhaps was done incorrectly when they mixed it. Or what might be a problem with the paint itself, & not the mix ratio. Though such tests are a bit more involved then the tape test.

Both testing options should be easy enough to read about online, as well as others. And of course you can contact the paint company directly to find out more about the stuff that was used to paint your boat. And possible quality control issues with it due to it's manufactue. Though before you progress further in terms of detective work, I'd think it wise to find out the lot number of the paint. So that you can track it when attempting to find out more in terms of problems with it.

Also, should you choose to study on this topic, & others that are similar to it, there are lots of resources online for such. Which, while I've spent zero time searching them, there are NDT forums, & other venues that address issues related to the inspecting & testing of the use of various materials, & things built/repaired with them. But again, I only know that they exist, not their efficacy or veracity. And like here, the information is "free".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post

Welcome to Meeixxxco!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 00:16   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I don't think that your paint catalyzed. Or the primer didn't. The hardeners have a very limited shelf life. Usually one year. If you don't pass the acetone test (if the paint rubs off with acetone or lacquer thinner) Then you have a big problem. Find out what kind of paint they used. There is a company there called Nervion and they sell their own line of paint. They even mix Awlgrip colors and sell polymer nonskid. That may be what you got. But the hardeners have limited shelf life. Awlgrip hardeners have a good shelf life. If he is reputable he should work out a compromise with you, it is possible that he got a bad batch. You can buy paint there from already opened containers in small quantities. I feel your pain... and his..
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 00:28   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Pinturas Nervion, alta tecnolog?a en recubrimientos industriales
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04   #15

I checked it just now using acetone and the paint will come off, leaving white paint on a blue towel.

When it came off on her shoe, it was kinda like hard flake (nonskid in it) and goey underneath. it smelled like wet paint too. it's still chipping up (pieces of nonskid failing and coming out, smaller than a dime and almost as deep)

Awlgrip has been ordered. We're out on the hook trying to save a few bucks, gotta go back in when the paint gets here and get the deck redone. Was hoping to be in La Cruz by NYE, not holding my breath now.

Going to watch him like a hawk. He paints a lot of boats, so I figured he knew the conditions, but I did see that he was painting at 4-5pm on the last day, which may have contributed to the problem. If he's not painting by 1pm I'm going to tell him to come back manana.

Tags
enc, paint