Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 15:16   #1

Panama Canal

I’m seeking crew for a 1985 Catalina 36 bound from San Carlos, Mexico, through the Panama Canal, and then to Rio Dulce on Guatemala’s Caribbean coast. I have four months allotted for the trip and plan to sail at a somewhat leisurely pace south. This year I hope to visit friends in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec--home to a matriarchal society. In Puerto Quetzal, I’ll dock the boat and then travel by bus to Antigua for a couple of weeks of language courses in Quiche (common Mayan language). The ruins at Copan are also a draw as are the Islands of the Gulf of Nicoya. Other than these, the itinerary is open. You can find your own adventures in the stacks of cruising guides I brought and we will find a way to make them happen.

About the boat: With myself and one crew, the boat is plenty roomy with its 12 foot beam. It is loaded with safety equipment including a life raft, a dingy with an outboard, VHF with AIS, a new EPIRB, an SSB radio set up for local weather reports, a handheld VHF, a satellite telephone and so on. A state of the art autopilot will take the edge off your watches.

About me: I’m 63 years old, semi-retired from real estate. I work six months, cruise six months. I’m easygoing but decisive when need be. My Spanish is fluent--meaning you’ll have an inroad to the culture and natives along the way. Your only expense will be for your onshore activities. And, if your experience warrants, I’m open to paying you a nominal fee, say $400 to $500 per month or $1600 for the length of the trip.

Last season, from October 2014 to April 2015, I sailed from San Francisco round Cabo San Lucas and then 300 miles north into the Sea of Cortez to San Carlos. I dry-docked there for the duration of the hurricane season. Throughout, I had one crew and am looking for the same configuration this season.

The boat is now in San Carlos, Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. I am ready to sail now, but my itinerary is flexible depending on finding the right crew. I hope to set sail between 1 February and 15 February 2016.

Are you interested in all or some part of this trip? You can reach me at 415 572 8924 or send email to tomdemott@ymail.com.
Tom DeMott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me in GIF.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	117638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	117639  

Old 29-01-2016, 15:18   #2

Re: Panama Canal

Sent you an email.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:29   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Mayan language course...wow, that will likely be more challenging than the sail. Ive based out of Guatemala for many years and given up on learning Mayan. And, there are about 26 very different dialects!

Do you speak any Asian languages? That may make it considerably easier.
Old 30-01-2016, 08:42   #4

Boat: Sail Eldredge McInnes Eastward Ho 30'

Tom.... I sent you an email to y mail... JK

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal