Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 05:23   #1

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
OneSails 4T Forte feedback

A search here didn't turn up much on the 4T Forte sailcloth from OneSails, so I'm hoping someone can offer any feedback on its performance and durability for cruising.

It seems to be comparable to Norths 3Di Endurance, with a thermoformed multi-layer construction to a 3 dimensional mould adjusted by CAD.

It seems to have been around for a few years, but I'm not seeing much specific user feedback, so thought I'd try here.

Does anyone know any multihulls with a wardrobe of 4T Forte, or a write up I may have missed?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16   #2

Re: OneSails $T Forte feedback

I upgraded the main and jib on my Corsair Dash 750 Mkii trimaran earlier this year to 4T Forte from Onesails. Have about 6 months of use on them now.

Initial impressions...

- half the weight of the cruising dacron sails they replaced
- so far seem durable - have used every weekend more or less since upgrade, no obvious wear and tear - also have done a 200 nm regatta through indonesia with them
- they are clearly intended for racing - the sweet spot for power is smaller with these sails than cruising sails and they require more careful and constant trimming for maximum effect
- in less than 7-8 knots of wind no obvious difference to dacron. in 10-15 knots feels like more power, and less heeling due to less weight aloft

no idea of long term durability but so far i’m happy with them.

onesails also have a dyneema laminated option which is about 20% cheaper than 4T but similar performance (as another corsair here in Singapore has sails from that material - they also look good)
shaunno71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:04   #3

Re: OneSails $T Forte feedback

Thanks for that feedback

What did you mean "the sweet spot for power is smaller with these sails than cruising sails "

What sort of cruising sails did you have in mind? Dacron?

Did you mean you notice the bigger effects of being off optimal trimming more?
Could that be because you have a really responsive boat?

If it was a 50 foot performance cat, as in my case, where Dacron is out of the question due to the Righting Moment, (so sail shape wouldl take a dive quite quickly), do you think it would offer better sail shaping for much longer and more durability than laminates?

We'll be in the tropics alot, so laminates would suffer with the humidity and mold/delam issues.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43   #4

Re: OneSails 4T Forte feedback

Yes our boat is quite responsive, and seems to be more so with the new sails than older dacron ones.

i’m in Singapore so completely get what you mean re mold etc. with more traditional laminates.

4T is still a laminate but with the special fusing / baking process they do to it, am hoping it survives longer here in the hot, humid weather.

My personal opinion is that they’d be great for cruising - and the black looks great. I’ve got a contact at Onesails in Australia if you want an expert opinion.
shaunno71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 13:09   #5

Thanks Shaunno. I'm already engaged with OneSails, and will get a quote. They claim to not have mold & delam issues with their materials and process, so thats very attractive for me. And you get some pretty sticky weather there, so if they last there, they'll last anywhere.

Do you have any contact with other users in that region that have had 4T longer than a year? Or are you the pioneer?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-06-2018, 08:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

I viewed a set on a Beneteau Oceanis 46 that I think were 4 or at most 5 years old as I don't think they haven't been around long. As said they were very light. There was no mold or delamination but they were splitting in many spots, the splits were up to 10cm long. The boat had only done local cruising and in this condition wasn't suitable for anything more than local cruising. The owner said he would replace them with dacron sails when he had the funds.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 17:44   #7

Thanks for that feedback, do you know if they were the latest material, the 4T Forte? The 4T Forte seems to have been available in 2013 to early adopters, more generally in 2014, so it may be possible it was the earlier material the 3M cloth.

Can you tell me anything about the splitting? Was it horizontal splits along the mainsail batten pockets, or where the material was " hinging" at flex points?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-06-2018, 22:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

They definitely weren't membrane sails like M3, so I guess they were early 4T.

It was splitting in random places, like along the foot of the genoa above the UV cover - but not on the inside edge of the UV cover. The owner just pointed out a few spots to me without dropping the genoa or removing the mainsail cover. Looked like the material had just gone a bit hard and brittle with age, but being so light its not that surprising they only last 4 years. Adhesive repair tape will keep them going for a while.

For something like a small corsair it seems more suitable than for on a Beneteau 46 which only ever went cruising!
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails