Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 11:28   #1

USA to europe electricity

Hi, I bought a motorboat 35 feet 2007 year from Usa and it is 110V, marinco shore power plug is 30 A, personally I have no idea anything about electricity, I just know that I need transformator from 110V to 220V and a new plug, but I dont know what Amperage, so guys would be very kind if someone would give me some information, what parts to buy and etc
Netas369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 13:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: USA to europe electricityq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netas369 View Post
Hi, I bought a motorboat 35 feet 2007 year from Usa and it is 110V, marinco shore power plug is 30 A, personally I have no idea anything about electricity, I just know that I need transformator from 110V to 220V and a new plug, but I dont know what Amperage, so guys would be very kind if someone would give me some information, what parts to buy and etc
Going from the USA to Europe you will need to replace your outlets but there is more to it than that. A transformer alone is not good enough since European power is a different frequency, 50 Hz compared to the USA's 60 Hz....that's if for some reason you want to keep your boat while in Europe utilizing US type of AC. If you are taking your boat to Europe and keeping it there, then make the alterations of your AC system to European power.

Hire a professional to tell you what you need to make the conversion. Too much can go wrong if you attempt this yourself. Running 22O volts through things only designed for 120 volts will destroy them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 14:10   #3

One person said that I should add volt converter, from 220v to 110v, what do you think, that would work? In idea everything would work like with 110v
Old 17-08-2017, 03:22   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

... won't work well as the Euro is at 50HZ and US is at 60HZ. For instance your AC units will not function well.

Canada/US are rare users of 110V... most of the world is 220 VAC.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 03:50   #5

All of the above posts are correct in one way or another but here's another point of view,

As your boat is 35 ft Im presuming your not running air-cons etc as a norm,

There are numerous step up transformers from 110 volt to 220/240 volt you just need to be careful with the amp/watt ratings of the transformer and your requirement,

As for the hertz difference it will effect motor driven appliances (such as an aircon) drill or other motor driven items, saying that it means they will run a little slower and EVENTUALLY cause failure,again saying that if the motor is rated @10,000 hrs it may give up @ 8000 hrs (just an approx example to give you an idea!

Many other items not motor driven will not be effected BY HERTZ also numerous products today are all multi hertz (well at least out of the US THEY ARE).combined with numerous other items being 110v thru 240 and muti hertz, so the world is changing!

All that said I would still ask a certified local marine electrician for advice as US and UK systems some times vary not only in the voltage but the actual wiring configurations.

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 10:43   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Easiest and simplest way is to buy a 110v inverter and a 220v charger. (check your current charger as some newer ones are universal input and can run off 220 or 110v) Wire the charger into the shore power plug and connect to a battery then run the inverter off the battery with it's outlet connected to the old shorepower lead you disconnected from the shore power inlet. The batty can be just a standard car batt as you wont be cycling it. Has the added advantage of giving total isolation from the dockside supply
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:11   #7

Boat: Catalina 375

You can buy a step down transformer for 110 60 hertz to 220 50 hertz. Typically it will have receptacle for north American plugs. Remember most of Europe runs on 2 prong round. UK runs on big clunky 3 square prongs. So you just need step down at input of electricity. That being said get an expert to do it or you will fry stuff.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:43   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I think what you want is a step up transformer to convert EU shore power 220/50 to US standard 110/60. That way everything aboard is unchanged. Of course any EU appliances you buy locally will not work (wrong plugs). If you plan to leave the boat in the EU you are probably best off converting everything to EU power from the shore power inlet, battery charger, wall sockets, etc.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:02   #9

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Easiest and simplest way is to buy a 110v inverter and a 220v charger. (check your current charger as some newer ones are universal input and can run off 220 or 110v) Wire the charger into the shore power plug and connect to a battery then run the inverter off the battery with it's outlet connected to the old shorepower lead you disconnected from the shore power inlet. The batty can be just a standard car batt as you wont be cycling it. Has the added advantage of giving total isolation from the dockside supply
This is the one I like :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 12:15   #10

Boat: L420

Before you spend a whole lot of time and $. Consider what you will need shore power for. I primarily use it to make sure my batteries are fully charged. If you already have a DC to AC invertor then you can already run your appliances. With this in mind, consider purchasing an additional any source 90v to 240v battery charger (approx. $500 USD) and wire this to your house and engine batteries. To plug into the EU source, wire this source side with 50-75' or three wire, then purchase the appropriate matching male end to plug in the pier riser depending where your are.
While in port, your batteries stay charged; the lights, fridge and radio are available and you can run your 110v appliances from your inverter.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:23   #11

Quote:

If you are anywhere close to Bradenton, FL I have a 220V Mastervolt battery charger I just took of a boat I imported from Europe. It has the monitor and works perfectly. Its too heave to ship.....but its free. As far as your outlets I would just put in some plug converters....that's what I did.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:09   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Our boat is 110V. My Battery charger does 110-240V so I did a new separate EU socket direct to the battery charger and of course all my 12V systems operate unchanged. We use 12V for refrigeration and charging laptops etc. We cook with gas. If the admiral wants a heater or something exotic we have those in 240V and run a power cable from the dock to the boat and use a power board.
If we did want to change to 240V I think the water heater is the only item that needs attention. Don't over think it. Mind you we only cruise in summer and rarely go into Marinas anyway.
KISS
Old 18-08-2017, 02:36   #13

Im not in America, im from europe and in germany right now, I attach my generator photo, it is 220v or generator doesnt matter? Because generator is 4600w I think I need to buy 4600w inverter? Then everything wouldnt work correctly? It is not and old boat, maybe chargers, generators are universals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	154303  
Old 18-08-2017, 02:50   #14

And thats my from what I understand battery charger. 100-240vac and 50-60hz I think its universal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	154305  
Old 18-08-2017, 06:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Im not in America, im from europe and in germany right now, I attach my generator photo, it is 220v or generator doesnt matter? Because generator is 4600w I think I need to buy 4600w inverter? Then everything wouldnt work correctly? It is not and old boat, maybe chargers, generators are universals?
Most new chargers are "universal", that is they will work on European power (220 Volts and 50 Hertz) or USA power (120 Volts OR 240 Volts and 60 Hertz). Generators are NOT universal. They are set up to make US or EU power, not both.

Very important note: USA uses 120V AND 240 V but it is different than EU 220 Volt. The difference is kind of technical and very important. You can't use US 240 V and EU 220 interchangeably but must make some important changes in the wiring.

The label on the generator you posted shows that it makes USA power that is 60 Hz. The generator output will have both 120V and 240V outputs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, Europe, rope