Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 06:44   #1

(Sailing) Dinghy

In New Jersey and in the market for a used dinghy. We'd probably like something we can eventually buy (or rig) a sailing kit for, but it's not a strict requirement.

Thinking around $1-2k budget, but flexible for a good deal. Willing to travel at least a few hours to pick up.

We don't need a motor, but if you have a new one that's in good condition will consider it.

Thanks!
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: (Sailing) Dinghy

Are size and weight unimportant?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:42   #3

I think largely, yes, within reason.. I'd prefer something smaller but looking for a deal.

It is a good question and I should have specified. Anything 3-5 people (I feel 5 is a large dinghy) seems about what I'm looking for.

I suppose we couldn't really do more than 120 or so pounds just because it'd be hard to manage. I feel anything around 9 or so feet would be good.

Really just want to see if anyone in the area has anything they'd like to let go. Have seen a few deals online but not many.
Old 19-10-2018, 20:01   #4

The 9 ft Fatty Knees dinghy weighs about that, but it is a 3 person boat at best rowed, possibly less if you add outboard, fuel tank, carry aboard gear, then you may be at the rated capacity Ryan. Depending upon if you are going to tow or deck store it is another consideration. An inflatable for 4-5 might be better for you. Spinnsheet the Chesapeake based sailing rag has dinks in the classifieds this time of year.

What exit you at in NJ? I'm 114 lol!
Old 19-10-2018, 20:08   #5

Good points! Honestly there are a few deals but no one is responding to my emails. Oh well!

I'm up in Hudson county, right near the river. North Bergen. Bit north of you! Spent most of the summer down near Sandy Hook, kept the boat at Great Kills.
Old 19-10-2018, 20:16   #6

Ryan, next time you come down this way give me a few days notice, and I can show you some cool places to hang out at.

A hard dink does it's best work going ashore regardless of what's there; on the otheer hand an inflatable prefers the dock or a sandy beach. Keep this end use in mind when getting one for your boat.
Old 19-10-2018, 20:33   #7

Should be next summer, hopefully more like spring. Going to try and get to Annapolis early on for a cold-weather cruise. I'll shoot you a note!

I also feel the hard dinghies really do hold their value when cared for. Obviously nothing is an investment for a boat, but seems that inflatables only deteriorate. But of course there's a price difference as well.

More wanted to throw this out there and see if I got lucky with a deal. I'll probably have to do some good hunting myself, but figured it could not hurt

Any suggestions for moorings near you? I know you can get a free (I think) permit at Great Kills, just need to find your own hardware. Great Kills channel can be quite rough though. Seen a few boats run aground there (and have myself as well!)
Old 19-10-2018, 20:55   #8

The mooring field to the South of the AH Harbor was installed after Sandy. You can pick up one of those for the Summer (less money than inside the breakwater). You can anchor South of that mooring field, there is decent holding ground for transients, and dink in to the dink dock from there. Bakers Marina in Highlands, Carol, has slips available less than AH, and nice folks on the docks. Good time to check is now to reserve a spot for Spring.
Old 19-10-2018, 21:20   #9

I have a mooring ball, used, in very good clean condition for $100 clams fob here in AH. Thats a start for your own mooring rig.
Old 19-10-2018, 21:25   #10

Will give them a call. We have been to AH a few times. Great anchorage and a nice town to walk to for sure. Love the area.

If I need the ball I'll let you know soon!
Old 20-10-2018, 06:12   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 47

There is a fatty knees for sale on this forum fairly close to you. If it is still available.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:13   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I was wrong it was in FL instead of PA.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Will give them a call. We have been to AH a few times. Great anchorage and a nice town to walk to for sure. Love the area.

If I need the ball I'll let you know soon!
If you need further info I placed all the ph numbers in the thread about Sujin leaving his boat near nyc before he went on his trip last month. Call me if you need further help, I live 15 minutes from the harbor. Tell Carol at Bakers that Capt Eugene referred you she'll know right away who sent you LOL! Pretty much know all the dockers down there.

I have more gear for sale but wont list it until you get first dibs. No rush on my end.

There is a Bauer 12ft trinka like sailing dinghy on www.sailingtexas.com right now that may suit your needs.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 12:23   #14

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

I have a walker bay 8 with a full sailing rig and 5hp outboard just north of Annapolis if you're interested.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 18:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
If you need further info I placed all the ph numbers in the thread about Sujin leaving his boat near nyc before he went on his trip last month. Call me if you need further help, I live 15 minutes from the harbor. Tell Carol at Bakers that Capt Eugene referred you she'll know right away who sent you LOL! Pretty much know all the dockers down there.

I have more gear for sale but wont list it until you get first dibs. No rush on my end.

There is a Bauer 12ft trinka like sailing dinghy on Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, buy or sell your sailboat, free sailboat ads. right now that may suit your needs.
Sorry I didn't see your reply here! I'll definitely be interesting in the mooring ball, I'll have to shoot you a message.

brendanwalls, I'll shoot you a PM. Interested for sure and I need to get down to Annapolis on business anyway.

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing