Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 11:51   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
Clearing out Savannah, GA (US boat, foreign crew)

In about a week we're about to set out from Savannah and sail down to the Bahamas for a few weeks.
After spending the day with a various number of people at the CPB I still haven't been able to get a definite answer to the clearing out procedure for a US private vessel with foreigners aboard. Since I'm not a citizen I can't use the SVRS program.

The only definite answer I got today that there was no need for any paperwork for the vessel when we leave as the vessel is registered in the US. The direct number to the person that gave this information was 912.721 and then (four eight four five) in case there's anyone else with similar questions, saves you four people that passes the ball on.

My firstmate will be on an ESTA/visa waiver and not able to return via the water so he'll fly back from Bahamas, while I need to find the correct way to exit and have the appropriate departure records created for both of us so I can return by sea, and him by plane.

Have any other foreigners done this? I've been here for 4 years, and intend on staying for many more, but want to make sure I do everything correct. This should be valid for anyone leaving the US on a visa, I'd assume this would be a common thing for any foreign worker living along the coast of Florida?

Any experiences or pointers to information will be appreciated!
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:04   #2

Re: Clearing out Savannah, GA (US boat, foreign crew)

If you have a green card you need to do nothing provided the boat is us registered . The bahamians will want to see your greencard however. I only got 30 days from imigration in bimini but my american wife got 90 and we went to the office together. I am german
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:06   #3

Thanks Lars, that was a key detail I was missing: I'm on an H1B (hopefully green card holder soon, applying this spring).
Old 17-01-2017, 12:11   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

When I was in a similar situation I have exercised my right to get a clear-out form for the boat that I could later use to prove where I was.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:12   #5

A few times they emailed it to me when the Culebra office was closed.
Old 17-01-2017, 12:22   #6

Boat: Beneteau 323

Oh my god you are in for a treat! You are in a grey area and the US has no consistent way of dealing with you.

Assuming the boat has state registration, I recommend you leave it that way. Don't register it with your home country's shipping authority (unless you plan to go further than the Bahamas).

Assuming you are a US permanent resident (ie: green card holder) you will probably follow check in/ check out procedures for US citizens.

You need to know there are many CBP regions in the US and they each apply the rules and procedures differently.

Now, here is the important bit. Before you go to the Bahamas talk to anybody in the local CBP region. Tell them what you plan to do and take their advice. Record their name. When you return to the US do the same thing again. Talk to someone in the local CBP region, tell them what you have returned and follow their advice. Record their name.

Some point in the future you may be stopped by CBP. Now because rules and procedures are applied so inconsistently you will need to show proof you attempted to follow them. If you do this you will be just fine.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:32   #7

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
Thanks Lars, that was a key detail I was missing: I'm on an H1B (hopefully green card holder soon, applying this spring).
This might be problematic. I recommend you delay sailing to the Bahamas until after you have your green card. If you throw any curve ball at the Department of Homeland Security you might jeopardise your application. There are plenty of great places to sail in the US in the meantime.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:37   #8

I would certainly make a trip to the customs house in savanah . Just walk in with your passport and ships documents and ask for a clearance to depart. I have always found them pretty easy to deal with here in florida.
Old 17-01-2017, 12:51   #9

Holding off sailing into the Bahamas is the one scenario we'd like to prevent. According to Savannah CBP lady #1 the vessel is ok since it has a US state registration, it's just departure records that I need to sort out.

The Bahamas departure records was definitely helpful, that would clearly state that we left and checked in somewhere else. This is just something I ask for when we clear out of Bahamas I reckon?

Lars, I was actually thinking about calling CBP Miami or Fort Lauderdale as they probably see more private vessels than Savannah's port.

Very worst case, I'd have to hire some American to sail it from West Palm Beach to Freeport while we fly, but that would feel very unnecessary. Sailing down to Key West is another option, but seems like the Bahamas has way more social and interesting cruising grounds.
Old 17-01-2017, 13:01   #10

You wont clear out of the bahamas .. they don't offer that service.. but you will have the clearence papers for checking in . US customs will not ask you for clearing out paperwork from the bahamas because they know it does not exist. I think you are overanalyzing this. The coast guard may also give you an outbound claearance you may want to contact them . I spent many years working at a marina in florida and as seachange said cbp is a joke.just depends on who you get
Old 17-01-2017, 13:46   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Clearing out Savannah, GA (US boat, foreign crew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
Oh my god you are in for a treat! You are in a grey area and the US has no consistent way of dealing with you.

Assuming the boat has state registration, I recommend you leave it that way. Don't register it with your home country's shipping authority (unless you plan to go further than the Bahamas).

Assuming you are a US permanent resident (ie: green card holder) you will probably follow check in/ check out procedures for US citizens.

You need to know there are many CBP regions in the US and they each apply the rules and procedures differently.

Now, here is the important bit. Before you go to the Bahamas talk to anybody in the local CBP region. Tell them what you plan to do and take their advice. Record their name. When you return to the US do the same thing again. Talk to someone in the local CBP region, tell them what you have returned and follow their advice. Record their name.

Some point in the future you may be stopped by CBP. Now because rules and procedures are applied so inconsistently you will need to show proof you attempted to follow them. If you do this you will be just fine.

Trust me, I have dealt with those CBP idiots many times exporting aircraft, do what the advice above says, have names and dates written down, and be polite, never, ever, bow up to them.
I will avoid that "Jack Booted Female" that runs the CBP in Key West forever if she is still there. Name my Cayman Island friend used for her, except he didn't say female
I started clearing out through Port St Lucie, they were always professional.
They locked up the Cayman Islands Mosquito airplane that I was bringing back to the factory for maintenance and did not turn it loose until the Queen of England displayed an interest.
They kept demanding a temporary importation bond, which could not be issued as the aircraft was US made.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
You wont clear out of the bahamas .. they don't offer that service.. but you will have the clearence papers for checking in . US customs will not ask you for clearing out paperwork from the bahamas because they know it does not exist. I think you are overanalyzing this. The coast guard may also give you an outbound claearance you may want to contact them . I spent many years working at a marina in florida and as seachange said cbp is a joke.just depends on who you get
Ah, I understand! Yep, definitely analyzing this to bits as this is my first time and I know how wonderful and helpful the CBP can be
Good tip about keeping track of who you talk to, you'd think that wouldn't make a difference since they're supposed to offer a great and objective service to all of their customers.
Old 17-01-2017, 15:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
In about a week we're about to set out from Savannah and sail down to the Bahamas for a few weeks.
After spending the day with a various number of people at the CPB I still haven't been able to get a definite answer to the clearing out procedure for a US private vessel with foreigners aboard. Since I'm not a citizen I can't use the SVRS program.

The only definite answer I got today that there was no need for any paperwork for the vessel when we leave as the vessel is registered in the US. The direct number to the person that gave this information was 912.721 and then (four eight four five) in case there's anyone else with similar questions, saves you four people that passes the ball on.

My firstmate will be on an ESTA/visa waiver and not able to return via the water so he'll fly back from Bahamas, while I need to find the correct way to exit and have the appropriate departure records created for both of us so I can return by sea, and him by plane.

Have any other foreigners done this? I've been here for 4 years, and intend on staying for many more, but want to make sure I do everything correct. This should be valid for anyone leaving the US on a visa, I'd assume this would be a common thing for any foreign worker living along the coast of Florida?

Any experiences or pointers to information will be appreciated!
Attached is a copy of the clear-out form that I get from CBP every time I leave US waters.

Then I use that form as back-up document to ask DHS to record my departure properly and protect me from idiots working for DHS later. When I was a corporate expat I had a law firm charge a fortune for this. Now I do it myself following the process described here:

https://www.tnvisaexpert.com/article...to-return-i94/

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...ns/i94-rollout

Now with electronic I-94s the detail is a bit different but the essence is the same. If you are an "alien" you always have to be prepared to presume you are innocent!

Another story if the boat is not "documented" with USCG but only "registered" with the state then the boat is considered foreign boat for some purposes, even if it has never left the US.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf La Morocha Clearance sanit.pdf (41.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 18-01-2017, 08:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Call the USCG and tell them you want a "zarpe" or Customs form 1300.

They hate to be bothered, but when I left for Europe on my US documented vessel, I wanted to create a paper trail.

The USCG in Newport wasn't cooperative, but by making an appointment for 0300 I was able to get my form filled out, stamped and signed. Eurobureaucrats love forms and stamps.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:47   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Sorry, it's CPB form 1300 Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement. Usually required by non-recreational vessels.

I could email you a .pdf if you can't find it. Just PM me.

Maybe you don't have to have it, but you can have it if you want. Just push 'em.

...and for the crew's emigration foreign or other wise you use CPB Form I-418 Passenger List - Crew List
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew