Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 06:46   #1

Boat: Broadblue 38
Are the lower seals on saildrives needed?

Hello

I am considering to buy a second hand Lagoon 380. When looking at the boat I saw the lower seals around both saildrives missing/falling apart (see pictures). I was told by the broker that one does not necessarily need the lower seals, "they keep falling off" and wouldn't make any big difference on a rather slow cruising cat like the L380 anyway.

These arguments don't sound right to me and obviously the previous owner didn't bother to antifoul the interior, so I presume the seals used to be there until recently... So I wonder if any of you have the same opinion or if this is just a broker wanting to protect the seller? If I actually leave it like this for a season - am I to expect and problems except increased drag? (the interior seals are only 2-3 years old and look fine to me)

This is the second boat I've seen with these seals missing. Is this just because both boats are older or do they "keep falling off? And how are these actually fastened?

Thanks and regards
Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8516.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	142351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8744.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	142352  

CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:26   #2

Boat: L420
Re: Are the lower seals on saildrives needed?

These should be in place, more important is the age and condition of the rubber seal above. With proper prep and the correct material/adhesive these can be replaced so they don't fall off
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:30   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

You do need the lower sail drive seals to get the proper water flow without turbulence.

You can buy the seals. They are not that expensive and may come with the glue.

You can make them from thin rubber sheets and use contact cement to bond them on.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

These seals don't do much other than keep out the critters and ever-so-slightly stream-line the hull. I replaced mine this year with the factory seals but previously, the ones I made myself lasted several years. I had used a rubber mat from a kitchen draining board, but any smooth truck mud-flap purchased from a motor supply store will work. Just make sure that you glue them to the hull properly. Make sure that the anti-fouling has been removed, stick them up with 5200 or lifeseal and feather the edges with the same stuff. If done with care they will last for a few seasons. They are certainly not a reason to affect your decision to buy a boat.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26   #5

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I filled the area above the lower seals with foam in place foam when installing the new ones. I don't think they are absolutely needed, but a signifant amoiunt of growth and resultant corrosion is prevented or reduced if they are in place.

If they are gone, there might be other saildrive issues - have the saildrive oil tested, especially if it is an SD-20.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35   #6

Boat: Boatless

I had the same issue with our cat and gave up. Owned the boat for 10 years, did a lot of sailing, never an issue.

Do make sure the actual seal is replaced every 5 years or so. That is important. The guy that boat our boat just sailed it BACK from New Zealand to the Caymans and one failed on the way. I had changed them out mid ownership, he never did. That's the dangerous one.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11   #7

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Fire the Broker , ask the surveyor .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 40

The rubber ones just never want to stay on for long.
The best solution I have seen is to layup a thin piece of fiberglass or even just cut a piece of thin but stiff plastic and affix to the hull with sealant and a few small and well sealed screws. These can be removed for Saildrive service or painting and replaced easily.
imiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:43   #9

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Good morning everybody,

The lower seal is only to avoid turbulence and crowings.
You can do one with rubber and glue it on the hull. Not a problem, if upper seal is in good condition.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
Fire the Broker , ask the surveyor .

rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20   #11

Boat: Broadblue 38

Thanks for the responses! Firing the sellers broker is unfortunately not an option for me as the potential buyer
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:51   #12

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

We have a Seawind 1160 with 8 plus years in water , has been out of the water 2 times , both times our yanmar saildrive covers were in good shape . when broker said wouldn't matter because boat was slow anyway :: I here these stories of how fast cats are well the way I think of our cat is " one knot faster than you " so if you leave this open and you loose 1/2 knot , you might as well never clean the bottom , have a 24 " fixed prop and drag the broker behind the boat ! Remember, every little bit helps , a clean bottom , trimmed sails , and a good helmsman .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:03   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

When I had our 380 hauled out for pre-purchase inspection I found these seals missing, too.
I don't consider this a problem, just a bit slower and stern heavy while motoring cause of turbulence. I bought new ones and will fix on the next haulout, but no reason to hurry.
These seals cost ~35 Euro each and its an easy DIY, but you will need to find good glue and prepare the surfaces well or they will be gone in a few weeks.

Just to put that into perspective: The top seal is not an easy DIY job, and last time I had it done professionally @ 2600 Euro for two Yanmars (plus haulout). On the other hand very few people adhere to the 7 year replacement cycle and nobody seems to bother.

BTW: Most seller brokers will tell you anything to close the deal and earn commission. Most likely he would sell you a bathtub as a proven ocean going vessel. Don't trust a word he says or writes.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:06   #14

Boat: LIPARI 41

Yes i have them on my cat for 15 years i attached them with thin strips of stainless and screws lasted 5 years each time would not want the inners to fail but that will happen when you let the sea into the inner drive area
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:28   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaclone View Post
would not want the inners to fail but that will happen when you let the sea into the inner drive area
Can you please provide how/why the inner seals will fail because of "letting the sea into the inner drive area".
Have you ever had such a seal in your hands?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, seals