Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 08:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Looking for a Yard Mexico or Central America

On the Caribbean/Atlantic side I am hoping to find a yard that can haul and block up to 100 tons, my boat is a Dutch steel ketch 78-feet on deck with overhangs to 97-feet overall.

I've search the forums but am struggling to find a Yard that can accommodate my boat. I'd like to do some DIY work but I also have lots of service work to give to a good Yard. My problem is that I cannot seem to find a Yard that can haul and block my size boat. It seems like Rio Dulce services are geared for smaller boats.

I'm in Florida right now, and prices are ridiculous!
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Looking for a Yard Mexico or Central America

If you can get into the Rio Dulce and get under the bridge then Abel's should be able to haul you as they haul big tugs on their railways.

What is your depth and air draft as anything over 7 feet depth could be a problem entering the Rio Dulce and you would need to be able to get under the Bridge
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 13:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hello,

My masthead is 75 feet above waterline. Is there a fixed bridge before the Yard? Do you know the height? Draft is 7 feet so that should be OK at high tides. My biggest concern is that on a railway one has to get work done really fast because the boat can't be moved to be blocked up, and ideally I'd like to have a couple of months in a yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
If you can get into the Rio Dulce and get under the bridge then Abel's should be able to haul you as they haul big tugs on their railways.

What is your depth and air draft as anything over 7 feet depth could be a problem entering the Rio Dulce and you would need to be able to get under the Bridge
Old 02-12-2017, 14:06   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There is also a small ship yard in French Harbor, Roatan that might work for you.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ho...RoatanShipyard

In the past I might have suggested La Ceiba Shipyard or the naval yard in Puerto Cortez, but security on the mainland would concern me now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 20:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
Hello,

My masthead is 75 feet above waterline. Is there a fixed bridge before the Yard? Do you know the height? Draft is 7 feet so that should be OK at high tides. My biggest concern is that on a railway one has to get work done really fast because the boat can't be moved to be blocked up, and ideally I'd like to have a couple of months in a yard.
Bridge vertical clearance is about 80-85', but power lines after are less. See link to thread below which discusses yards and the bridge/power lines.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=194360

Abels is above the bridge, both Nana Juana and RAM are below the bridge.

There is also an old railway in Livingston that hauls some of the coastal ferries. Never seen a sailing vessel in their ways, but may be feasible.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:52   #6

Both Shelter Bay Marina and Linton Bay Marina in Panama can accommodate you easily. Shelter Bay has the advantage of more good tradesmen.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
Both Shelter Bay Marina and Linton Bay Marina in Panama can accommodate you easily. Shelter Bay has the advantage of more good tradesmen.
Yes, if OP is open to heading a little further south. LBM has a huge new travel lift.

Sure is easier, and cheaper, to get stuff done on the Rio though.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

Definitely open to sailing to Panama, the Yard online prices I've seen in Panama are pretty acceptable so it looks good. But if Rio Dulce is even cheaper that sounds worth checking out, so I'll call for quotes! I could not find a website for Abel so will try their email address and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, if OP is open to heading a little further south. LBM has a huge new travel lift.

Sure is easier, and cheaper, to get stuff done on the Rio though.
Old 03-12-2017, 13:27   #9

Quote:
Definitely open to sailing to Panama, the Yard online prices I've seen in Panama are pretty acceptable so it looks good. But if Rio Dulce is even cheaper that sounds worth checking out, so I'll call for quotes! I could not find a website for Abel so will try their email address and phone.
Abel is local so you wont find a web site, but they do have an ad on www.riodulcechisme.com with contact information (as do the other yards). Their local name is "Astillero Magdalena" and that is most prominent in their ad. Ad is in right hand column of home page.

http://riodulcechisme.com/index.php?...=1175&Itemid=1
Old 03-12-2017, 13:39   #10

Quote:
The yard rates are not bad in Panama, Ive just found it more challenging to arrange good skilled labor. Shelter Bay injects themselves into this equation and marks up the rates substantially, but they do stand behind the work in that case. LBM does not get in the middle at this time, but you are on your own and it is a bit harder to arrange things way out there in Linton. However, there is a mechanic on site now with a small marine supplies store, a couple of good glass guys (and a few not so good), metal work, electronics, and sail/canvas work...all local in Linton now...so it is getting better.

They have also expanded their boat yard area recently, roughly double.

My boat is there now. I plan to be back there working to get her ready for the season in a few days.

Skills and supplies are also more spread out in Panama. For example, you may be in Linton, but need skills or materials from Panama City. All are much more local in the Rio.

My cat in the lift at LBM:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcfr1da0ru...-1~01.jpg?dl=0

Its a big damn lift, dont recall the tonnage, but they do lift barges and work boats there too.
Old 03-12-2017, 15:20   #11

Boat: Piver tri Serena

Puerto Yukalpeten: As a closer and more reasonable alternative, you might consider the yacht and commercial boat yards inside Puerto Yukalpeten in the state of Yucatan, next door to the commercial port of Progreso. Among these yards they regularly haul shrimpers and fishing trawlers to 120' plus some yachts about the same LOA. There's also a Navy dock yard and a yacht club.
The port's entrance channel DID have an 82' clearance restriction due to a power line, but I've been told it was removed - better check. You can read all about Puerto Yukalpeten on pages 117 - 120 in "Cruising Ports: the Central American Route" nautical guidebook; Approaches, Lay of the Land, Anchorage, Port Clearance, Local Services.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, Mexico