Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 10:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45.1
Electronics zapped by lighting

We got hit by lightning a couple of weeks ago in San Blas, Panama. We were in bed looking out our hatches when there was the brightest flash and the loudest bang we've ever heard! Then a shower of orange sparks rained down on the deck, full on...
Anyway, needless to say there's quite a few bit and pieces not working or acting strangely; whole Raymarine system, Generator, bow thruster, fridge, battery charger, etc etc.
We're still working with the insurance company's assessor to determine the extent of the damage, but it's quite a lot.
The things that will definitely need to be replaced is all our instruments (ST60 Wind and Tridata, ST50 Tridata), our Autopilot (Type 1 linear drive, S3G and ST6002+ Control head), e97 MFD and c127 MFD, AIS650 - these last 3 items are all quite new.
Strangely our digital radar seems to be working just fine.
Our insurance policy states anything older than 2 years they take 30% off, i.e. I'll get 30% less than what it will cost to replace or repair.
Keen to hear people's thoughts how I can replace these things economically, I really don't want to be forking out '000's to get this sorted, kinda why I have insurance...
what would you replace it with?
simonthepom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, lighting