Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 20:47   #1

Hello to all from Brisbane

My name is Bob and Im from New Zealand, the land of the long white cloud. I am 66 yrs old, retired and want to buy a motorsailer for cruiseing the Carribean or Mediteranian depending where I buy my vessel from. I am presently doing a navigational course followed by a skippers course before I sail into the unknown.

I am in no hurry, just want to enjoy the good and the bad with sailing. My chosen vessel will a Nauticat 33. I have read many good write ups on these vessels.

I would like to hear from other Nauticat owners please, re all good and bad will be music to my ears as I have so many question that I would like to ask you.

I see getting a small crew will prove to be a wee bit diffurcult at first but my goal is to be able to sail/motor solo then I will have succeeded.

So onward ho with the challenge...........

Silverfern
silverfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:24   #2

Re: Hello to all from Brisbane

Hey Silverbob
Exciting times ahead eh?
I have recently come ashore after 10 year living and cruising aboard. My last boat was a steel copy of the 52 nauticat
And what a great boat. I did encounter one or two Nauticats in my time and was always impressed
By the build quality and owners enthusiasm.
The only advice to you is that 33foot seems horribly small for what you want to do.
Especially if you ever want to have anyone else on board. It's ok for a day sail or perhaps an overnight but cruising? MNMM a bit tight!
Good luck mate
Mike ..Bundaberg.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:27   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Brisbane is beautiful! If I had to live in a city, any city, it would be BNE. Enjoy!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Hey Silverbob
Exciting times ahead eh?
I have recently come ashore after 10 year living and cruising aboard. My last boat was a steel copy of the 52 nauticat
And what a great boat. I did encounter one or two Nauticats in my time and was always impressed
By the build quality and owners enthusiasm.
The only advice to you is that 33foot seems horribly small for what you want to do.
Especially if you ever want to have anyone else on board. It's ok for a day sail or perhaps an overnight but cruising? MNMM a bit tight!
Good luck mate
Mike ..Bundaberg.
G,day mate

Thanks for your advice, I believe you are correct, a 34 is a wee bit small so l will look at a Nauticat 44 sloop. Whats your thoughts?

You must have had cracker of a boat and time in the 10 yrs away.
Old 30-08-2016, 04:39   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfern View Post
My name is Bob and Im from New Zealand, the land of the long white cloud. I am 66 yrs old, retired and want to buy a motorsailer for cruiseing the Carribean or Mediteranian depending where I buy my vessel from. I am presently doing a navigational course followed by a skippers course before I sail into the unknown.

I am in no hurry, just want to enjoy the good and the bad with sailing. My chosen vessel will a Nauticat 33. I have read many good write ups on these vessels.

I would like to hear from other Nauticat owners please, re all good and bad will be music to my ears as I have so many question that I would like to ask you.

I see getting a small crew will prove to be a wee bit diffurcult at first but my goal is to be able to sail/motor solo then I will have succeeded.

So onward ho with the challenge...........

Silverfern
Hi Bob,

Do you mean Brisbane Australia? (I don't know of any other Brisbane)

Love the Nauticat, and the 33 would be on my list once we've done what we want to do with the Swanson and are ready to downsize.

Matt
Old 30-08-2016, 04:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi Bob,

Do you mean Brisbane Australia? (I don't know of any other Brisbane)

Love the Nauticat, and the 33 would be on my list once we've done what we want to do with the Swanson and are ready to downsize.

Matt
G,day Matt,
Yep Brisbane Qld mate. I had some good advise given to me from banana bendrr Mike. I will use his advise and step up to Nauticat 44 sloop. Any comments good or bad?

Tks.
Old 30-08-2016, 13:39   #7

Right. So is the plan to buy the boat closer to your cruising destinations? If so, how do you plan to get your sailing hours up? On another boat in Brisbane or "learn on the job" wherever the Nauticat ends up being purchased?

Marr

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-08-2016, 15:12   #8

Now your talking Bob !
Hard to beat a nauticat 44
Theres one in Hobart "Finesse"
Would be a great buy for around 210-215k.
Beautifully laid out and a super strong ocean cruiser....with good motor and diesel genset.
Hey are you from wellington by any chance?
Mike
Old 30-08-2016, 15:20   #9

Hello Marr,

I have started a navigation course and will follow with a marine 1st aid course and then a couple of basic pratical training courses. Once completed I will then purchase a vessel in the states or Canada, do some indepth course plotting planning, get a crew and sail to wards my chosen destination. I will learn hands on. The world is my oyster.

I will maintain a comprehensive log. Let the fun and games begin.......

Bob
Old 30-08-2016, 15:23   #10

G,day Mike,
No mate Im from the house of pain, Dunedin. Can we chat on my email address. Theres lots of topics that I would like get your valued apinion on?
Bob
Old 30-08-2016, 15:41   #11

Ah, OK, so no plans to sail around Brisbane by the sound of it.

That's a relief, I thought you were planning to buy the boat somewhere, sail it to Brisbane, learn to sail it and THEN head off to the Med or somewhere.

As you can imagine that was confusing me a little.

(Not as confusing as the typo where my name came out as Marr, not Matt)

Matt

Old 30-08-2016, 15:44   #12

On the Motor Sailor thing, have you considered the Fisher Motor Sailors? They are on my short list along with the Nauticat.

Matt

Old 30-08-2016, 18:34   #13

Yes I did and I was heading that way when I was looking at a 33'er. I believe them to be a good resonably priced boat and I base that comment on all the write ups/forums that I read. They are good for I think short coastal voyages and island hoping but as Mike pointed out you are restricted to the numbers of crew that you can take with you.

So after talking with Mike, who has 10 yrs experiance under his belt I decided to follow his recomendations and go for a bigger safer and more comfortable boat, after all it is a live aboard. The Nauticats receive very good recommendations from many boaters so its a 44'er sloop for me.

Having my own private cabin with a bathroom goes down very well with me. There is also more room on a bigger boat for the installation of a small water making unit for showers and drinking water and ice making machine all very essential.

I intend on making my own a/c for my cabin and the salon and will need ice for cooling and in the evening ice for a few drinks such as gin and tonic.

A bigger boat enables me to install davits if not already fitted and theres another avantange of being able store my mountain bike.

The bigger boat comes with a higher purchase price, uses more fuel and maintenance costs are higher but I think its all worth while for what I want......ocean crossing capability and a wee bit of comfort.

Bob
Old 31-08-2016, 00:02   #14

Sure Bob ,no worries
mderridge@yahoo.com.au
Mike
Old 01-09-2016, 09:33   #15

You still there Bob ????