Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 16:24   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36 1985 - construction

firstly i have done a google search and found one other post asking roughly the same questions i am, and the reply was not awesome.

i have been looking around for information on the Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36 sailboat circa 1985. there are several available all reasonably priced but i can't find any information on them. there is an owners club and i am trying to contact some of the owners, but nothing yet. the boat is the right layout, they are cheap enough that i have some financial headroom to make improvements i.e. not the "fully loaded ready for cruising with state of the art (20 years ago) equipment". all the boats (three) that are for sale (yacht world and eBay) have wood decks. what i don't know is: -
1. cored above and below water line and with what?
2. decks glued or screwed?
3. teak over glass?
4. common problems?
5. suitability for cruising?
6. known issues?

i also get the feeling i am being foolish looking at buying an old cheap boat but the new ones with the upgrades would put me over my budget. i also like the skeg hung rudder and fin keel.

i also understand that the halyards and reefing will be at the mast which is not ideal but not a show stopper for me.

i am mostly concerned with the construction of the boat than anything else.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 16:42   #2

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36 1985 - construction

They usually had a fiberglass deck below the teak with a balsa or whatever was laying around coring. Decks were usually screwed right through this fiberglass deck and introducing thousands of leak points for water to penetrate to the core and begin the rotting. Hulls were usually solid glass, heavy on the resin and chopped strand matte meaning heavy weight and less strength than had a proper layup and resin ratio been used.

Once repaired or in good shape they'd be suitable as long g as you don't mind keeping up on the woodwork instead of enjoying yourself! Lol. I'm a varnish masochist myself.

An option for a similarly sized boat with a fin and partial skeg rudder that is a great sailor and well made by craftsman is the Easterly 36. Only a few made but I know of two for sale. They sell for affordable prices as the maker never had a big brand name so are orphans so to speak. Also many other of similar design to consider as well.

Common problems core rot and water leaks below decks.
Old 27-02-2017, 16:42   #3

as luck would have it i just found this which suggests a Mahogany cored deck with glass under the teak... Offered For Sale he makes that job sound easy...

p.s. i have no idea why the link shows 'offered for sale'
Old 27-02-2017, 16:53   #4

appick
thanks for the constructive comments.

i have a list of suitable boats and my planned purchase date is early next year but if its cheap enough and suitable i could bring it forward, hell this years yacht charter was 4k so i would save that much at least. the purchase date is getting close enough now i need to start doing some more detailed investigation. to date all the big boats i have sailed have been Bennies...
Old 27-02-2017, 17:32   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Mahogany or balsa they all rot just the same fyi. Unless the Choey Lee's of later years drastically different from those of all others I've read about and the Formosa I had the construction would be about the same. If you can find one where the decks have already been repaired and the teak removed it might be OK. I know they've also suffered from blisters and some serious delamination issues but not sure that applied to this specific years and models.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:24   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41

I am in the final stages of rebuilding a Pedrick 41 1990 vintage, construction was rock solid, I was told mahogany core, but never found any mahogany, just ply.

Maybe be I was lucky that the 2500 screws that held the teak deck down to the fiberglass deck had not caused any significant water ingress, but ripped off the teak deck anyway, replaced with core matt and bi-ax, no weight saving, but the potential problem has now disappeared.

Biggest regret is not having replaced the windows, with NFM opening ports, the method of attachment and sealing is poor and they will leak - every Pedrick interior photograph I have seen, has water damage to the ply around the windows - so that is my major project for next year.

I think they are a great sailing boat and wish you luck with your project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	142141  
PMorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:36   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

I worked for a Cheoy Lee distributor back in the 80s. We sold several of these Pedrick series boats new and used in the 36, 41 and the final 43' size.

To answer some of your questions.

The hulls were not cored. They were solid.
All decks are cored and these are no different but it was "rumored" that the coring in a lot of the boats was mahogany strips laid out and with some gapping and encapsulated in resin. So the teak is laid down over the glass decks and the coring is mahagony. That being said the teak is not gunwale to deck house covered. There is a gap of gelcoat/fibreglass. So the teak decks were "laid on" after a fiberglass deck was built. Technically if you took the teak off, filled all the holes and non skidded the decks they were be fine.

The deck screws do go down thru the glass upper deck and into the coring. While any coring can get delam or water in it, in my opinion these boats had less than most boats their age because of this construction. However, a good surveyor with sounding hammer and moisture meter needs to really check over the deck and it's harder to do with teak over them as the wood can stay wet for days after a rain.

The Pedrick series was the last built by CL. They were also the most modern and had the most American of gear (lewmar hatches/ports) and US or better European gear and hardware.

David Pedrick's design assured that he boat was a good sailer. I'd take one of the boat anywhere you want to go and have sailed several offshore. Cheoy Lee as a yard was one of the best in the Far East. Originally a commercial yard, they built ships and ferries, they got into the recreational side because of the demand. There are still a lot of commercial related things on the boat like some of the cockpits had "manhole" sized commercial covers to access the steering and behind the engine. Lights inside were heavy duty looking, etc.

Shortcomings- Far east wiring, plumbing and black iron tanks is it. The same with just about any boat that age. Their glass work (construction wise) is good, but their gelcoats wear out over time, like most boats of this age. A hull and deck paint job will be inevitable if you want a bristol boat. The 36 layout was a little weird also for some folks because the engine was in the center of the boat. I asked David Pedrick about that and he was trying to get most of the weight directly over the keel and he accomplished it.

The dealer I worked for shut down in 91 and I sent tons of original brochures to the owners site and I think they are still on there.

Cheoy Lee Association
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:37   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I believe this is the one my friend bought dirt cheap derelict in a Texan yard. He rebuilt his boat and lived on it in Martinique. Now he is sailing the Pacific. He likes his boat very much. I visited him onboard and the boat looked 100% good cruising stuff to me.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 10:47   #9

Boat: L420

Great responses thus far - IMO a well made & well balanced boat, owned and sailed an 86' model in Hawaii for seven years. During this time, installed: new instruments, hydrovane, replaced the sails and chain plates and rigging. Once trimmed properly it really performs. I always felt confident in the boats stout construction, especially in 40+kts, in between the islands. The teak deck was daunting, removal and replacement with nonskid was always on the to do list, instead I did a lot of caulking and screw resetting, but it never leaked. The new owner showed me up, painting the topsides, new engine and other upgrades. I still enjoy seeing the boat out on the ocean, a true example of a well drawn Pedrick.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 15:53   #10

Thanks guys I think we just quadrupled the amount of information on the web about these boats...
Old 03-06-2019, 16:48   #11

I'm an owner of the Pedrick 47' from Cheoy Lee. I can't say enough about the layout and thought put in to these boats. IMO they are one of the most unique and functional boats from this time period. Have seen core samples from my hull and its solid. Let me know if you have any other questions about construction, design etc...
SV_Sonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, s/v Sonder.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:08   #13

Boat: L420

I owned and sailed the Pedrick 36 in HI for 12 years. Solid construction, head holding tank failed and jib tracks failed required replacement. A Well balanced boat. I’m sure you could sail anywhere in this model. Concur with all previous comments. The teak deck maintenance became untenable, the next owner pulled it up filled the holes painted the topsides and replaced with nonskid.
AB808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee