Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 16:47   #1

Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster, or Hunter 456 CC?

Ok, lets get this out of the way, the Gulfstar is "ugly" and the Hunter is "well, a Hunter". That being said the admiral and I went to the boat show">Annapolis boat show and found a 2006 Hunter 456 CC that we love, plenty of room below, comfortable center cockpit. I stumbled across a 1980 Gulfstar 47 and I actually love the look. The deck salon, and high center cockpit are very appealing. So, given that they are both in the same price range, similar size and we love looks, we are looking for a full time liveaboard that we intend to spend a couple of years in the Caribbean before crossing the Atlantic to the med, so the boat we get will need to be able to cross oceans. Between these 2 boats, and given a proper survey, is one inherently better than the other? Many people do not like the Hunters, they don't like the rig even though its copied from offshore racers. The Gulfstar is over 30 years old! Its lasted this long, they have survived the test of time, so the chopper gun build must not have been that poorly done. So which one would you buy? Gulfstar, Hunter?

I'm sure the first response will be "neither, get a Jeanneau 57 for $378,000 if you want to cross oceans, otherwise you're going to die"
Transporter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 18:51   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster, or Hunter 456 CC?

Buy Hunter!!! Don't take somebody's old junk!
I bought HP42 myself, now my wife happy so much that she ready to live aboard this vessel.
passat5919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 18:57   #3
cruiser

"Crossing the Atlantic" and the word "Hunter" should not be used in the same sentence IMHO. I used to own a 1999 Hunter 450CC... I know what I'm talking about. Plenty of flex and other issues, basically the same boat you're looking at with an updated number.

That said, the Hunter you're looking at would be a perfect boat for the Caribbean and liveaboard. I'd buy the Hunter over the Gulfstar 47 any day. If you mean to ship the Hunter on a freighter across the Atlantic, your plan is excellent. The Hunter would be super for enjoying summers in the Med.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:03   #4

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Again and again.... Hunters all over the World, guess what, they sailed there not in refrigerator box.
passat5919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Cannot really recall details but I have read that the build quality of Gulfstars varied quite a bit over the years. Some built very well, some not so much.

If you plan ocean crossing the Gulfstar is a motorsailor. Not too bad off the wind but won't point well at all. The Hunter would be much better in this regard.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:14   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

The Gulfstar looks like a good boat but I would be worried about getting one that has the major propensity for blisters and a wobbly skeg.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:42   #7

There we go Skipmac and Guy! That is some good information. We plan on living "on the cheap" and want to be as budget friendly as we can, so the idea of the Gulfstar as a motor-sailor is potentially problematic. That being said, being able to motor across an ocean if necessary, or out of weathers way might hold some advantage, but I want to be able to sail wherever I go and not have to rely on the motor to get to a windward destination.
Old 10-05-2014, 20:28   #8
cruiser

If you desire an honest assessment of the Hunter 456cc by an actual owner and not by a bunch of Hunter cheerleaders, please feel free to contact me privately. I'll give you the good, the bad and the ugly.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 22:24   #9

Boat: Tayana 52

Wouldn't have thought they were in the same price range - gulfstar around $140k and Hunter around $200k.
Hunters have been sailed all over the world - our 433 flexed a bit but still got us safely from FL to Oz.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter2112 View Post
There we go Skipmac and Guy! That is some good information. We plan on living "on the cheap" and want to be as budget friendly as we can, so the idea of the Gulfstar as a motor-sailor is potentially problematic. That being said, being able to motor across an ocean if necessary, or out of weathers way might hold some advantage, but I want to be able to sail wherever I go and not have to rely on the motor to get to a windward destination.
Careful. Just because the Gulfstar is considered a "motorsailor" does not mean you can motor all the way across an ocean. I believe the fuel tankage is about 200 gallons so estimate max range around 1000 miles. And just because a boat is considered a "sailboat" doesn't mean you don't have significant range under power. With the 80 gallons in my 42', under ideal conditions I could make close to 500 miles under power.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:17   #11

Personally I don't think the Hunter is much different than the French/German production boats as they are both constructed in the same manner, ie: thin hulls with complete liners to add strength. This system works and quite well too if every glue bond is done well however you can't see what you are gluing so if for any reason you have a bad joint it can lead to catastrophic hull failure. That said it doesn't happen that often so as long as you followed the trade wind routes I don't think you are taking undue risk in my opinion. I can certainly think of different boats I'd rather be in a real storm but even a real storm seldom happens so odds are still with you. Whether its the Med or the Caribbean I can tell you that your wife will be much happier in the Hunter so keep that in mind. The other option is to hire Boatie as delivery skipper and move it that way and you'll have your cake and eat it. Cheers
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 17:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Personally I don't think the Hunter is much different than the French/German production boats as they are both constructed in the same manner, ie: thin hulls with complete liners to add strength. This system works and quite well too if every glue bond is done well however you can't see what you are gluing so if for any reason you have a bad joint it can lead to catastrophic hull failure. That said it doesn't happen that often so as long as you followed the trade wind routes I don't think you are taking undue risk in my opinion. I can certainly think of different boats I'd rather be in a real storm but even a real storm seldom happens so odds are still with you. Whether its the Med or the Caribbean I can tell you that your wife will be much happier in the Hunter so keep that in mind. The other option is to hire Boatie as delivery skipper and move it that way and you'll have your cake and eat it. Cheers
Why do you think She'll like the Hunter better? We have been aboard the Hunter. At the Annapolis boat show they had one, a 2006 model asking $156k, the Gulfstar I'm looking at is asking $135k. We both love the room in the Hunter, the master state room and separate shower are features we love. The Gulfstar has the big windows of the raised salon, which I personally love. I would think that the extra light they bring in would help keep the admiral happy. Yes, I know that big windows are "sketchy" on big passages, and they can let in lots of sunlight to heat up the cabin, but the Hunter has big windows and skylights too so the heat isn't too concerning.

That being said, we have been aboard the Hunter, but not the Gulfstar. Why would you say she will like the Hunter better?
Old 11-05-2014, 17:21   #13

OK, back to basics.

Have you comparedf the rigging, fittings, winches and engines? Tank capacities? Condition of each? Sails?

Sounds like you're still in the honeymoon stage. Time to move on and do a real comparison, before you even think about a survey on either or both.

Boat Inspection Trip Tips - SailboatOwners.com

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 17:42   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

just seems a WIDE range of boats to be down to for an either/or choice
Old 11-05-2014, 20:01   #15

Well, we're not down to an either/or choice yet, but both of these boats appeal to us. We have compared tankage, fittings and the sort. The Gulfstar holds about 100 gallons more of each, water and fuel. Fittings I would suspect to be similar, but again, we haven't seen the Gulfstar in person. We like the Hunter. I like the pilothouse look of the Gulfstar, it just personally appeals to me. Both of these boats are actually a little out of our proposed budget, but not by much. The Gulfstar can probably be had for much less than the Hunter though.

Tags
gulfstar, hunter, mast, sail