Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 11:26   #16

Boat: Oday30
Re: Cal-30 of 1961 design. Restore?

I'll align with TrentePieds and add -- condition is nearly everything. There are tons of classic-plastic out there at very reasonable prices -- so there is no sense chasing a wreck when you can look a bit further -- on the other hand if this is sound, is the design you like and you enjoy tinkering (and have the tools and skills -- these are bigger issue than it may seem at first glance), then these can be loads of entertainment both before and after you get her in the water.

Old 10-12-2018, 18:57   #17

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

The original Cal-30 is a GREAT BOAT! My opinion is from having raced on them for over a decade in the '60s and early '70s. They are boats which are dearly loved in their native California waters.

Now that you know my opinion, I'll tell you why I think so. It's not hard. With a PHRF rating in S. California (where they have had more experience with this design that any other PHRF committee) the rating is 192. This is pretty generous. If you're thinking of racing her, she should easily sail to this rating with good sails and a reasonable crew. While she will never surf like an Olson-30, she will do a great job of sailing to her rating or better.

Like all the early Bill Lapworth designs, the Cal-30 is well mannered and well balanced. You won't be dragging the rudder sideways to counteract weather helm. Upwind the Cal-30 will track like a meter boat compared to modern designs and will kick the tail of most 30' sloops from the '80s and '90s. She will not be as fast down wind, but is easily controlled because she is old enough to have been designed by Lapworth to the CCA rule and not the control-offensive IOR rule. This means a LOT less rolling around and desperately trying not to round up or round down while sailing down wind. What this means is that the Cal-30 will be sailing to about 98% of her maximum speed without punishing her crew. This is not true of IOR or IMS based designs.

Finally, the secret weapon of the Cal-30 is heavy air. It's surprising that a Southern California boat would be so very good in heavy air, but she is. Upwind she doggedly slogs through whatever you send her way with her ample beam providing good form stability. Downwind she won't plane like a modern boat but will surf nicely down waves in complete control. A true lady.

I think she'd make a great cruising boat and could take you around the world if that was where you wanted to go.

Old 10-12-2018, 21:49   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Thanks for chiming in Beau! How is Mayan? For some years many moons ago she was just a few steps away from me at the end of Marina 2. Hope all are well!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 21:51   #19

Boat: John G. Alden transitional schooner, 60' Length on Deck

Don,

MAYAN is doing very well. We’ve loved her very much.

Cheers,

Beau

Tags
cal